Author Topic: George: Going to LA talk is "overstated"  (Read 9125 times)

Re: George: Going to LA talk is "overstated"
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Right, We use the BKN pick to grab Doncic, then trading use the Laker pick with IT plus whatever picks are necessary to grab AD for example. They can move forward with Cousins, IT, and Jrue, a much more balanced, effective roster. They can use the picks to draft AD's replacement like Bamba or Ayton. Who knows..
Corrections above.  This is what I would do.   ;)

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There is a zero percent chance he decides to spend the next 5 years of his life in Oklahoma after spending forever in Indiana

3 years, on the other hand...

The "George is locked in on LA" story has been nonsense since the beginning.  Winning and getting paid trump location.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Why didn't this guy come out and say this crap before he got traded? Just seems to me he just wanted to get out of Indiana. Now we'll see if he stays in OKC. I don't think he will personally but nice gamble by Presti considering the circumstances they are in.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Right, We use the BKN pick to grab Doncic, then trading use the Laker pick with IT plus whatever picks are necessary to grab AD for example. They can move forward with Cousins, IT, and Jrue, a much more balanced, effective roster. They can use the picks to draft AD's replacement like Bamba or Ayton. Who knows..
Corrections above.  This is what I would do.   ;)

LOL certainly not a bad fall back plan. If we are lucky enough to say draft Doncic and Ayton or Bamba, we'll have the super team of the future for the next 13-15 years lol..

Doncic
Brown
Tatum
Ayton/Bamba
Zizic

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Im not sure how this is a miss by Danny. This narrative keeps getting thrown out there but its either 1 of the following:

1. Trade AB, Crowder and a pick or picks for George but you then have to trade Tatum, Brown or Smart to sign Hayward.

2. Trade AB, Crowder, and Smart for George. Sign Hayward. You are hard capped with no proven bench players.

3. Or you sign Hayward then make the trade for George or Butler.

Option 3 wasnt on the table so in reality since both teams decided to move players before Hayward joined you are left with the 1st two options. So for everyone that says it was a miss which one of those two options would you prefer?

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
There is a zero percent chance he decides to spend the next 5 years of his life in Oklahoma after spending forever in Indiana

3 years, on the other hand...

The "George is locked in on LA" story has been nonsense since the beginning.  Winning and getting paid trump location.

Yeah Im sure PG is dying to go to a 25 win Lakers squad lol

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love how some people have already convinced themselves that Ainge's target in next year's draft is Doncic, or any other player. After 95% of this board was convinced Ainge's target was Fultz he traded that opportunity just days before the draft because Tatum was his guy. Lesson learned: state that you want that player. Assuming you know what's in Danny's mind means you may come up wrong a lot, if not most, of the time

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I love how some people have already convinced themselves that Ainge's target in next year's draft is Doncic, or any other player. After 95% of this board was convinced Ainge's target was Fultz he traded that opportunity just days before the draft because Tatum was his guy. Lesson learned: state that you want that player. Assuming you know what's in Danny's mind means you may come up wrong a lot, if not most, of the time

Its really too early to say who should be the target. Its not hard to see why people would think the target was Fultz considering the need and stated desire for a shot creator. In reality very few will know what Danny is truly thinking but everyone can make a guess as to who they would take.

I will also say this, most people go into the eval process of these top prospects very late in the game. For example, Ainge has seen Tatum since his U16 days. He has a long book on him.
In 2 years (maybe 1 depending upon if he reclassifies) you will hear all these wild stories about R.J Barrett as he is going into his freshman year in college. Most will pick up watch games wherever he goes thus leading to varying degrees of opinions. In reality Ainge started a book on him last year and has at least 8 games of tape on him as a sophomore in HS.

I say all of this because Ainge is doing his homework long before these guys become hot to the general public. Ultimately to get a good sense of who he is targeting when he has these high picks look at guys who play in these high profile tourneys and have a high work ethic. Those seem to be traits that he seems to be after with these high picks.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It wasnt Danny fault that Pritchard couldn't and wouldn't wait..Pacers are determined to send him out West so nothing Danny can do about it...Danny I believe would have given up the Laker pick and or Smart. Really AB Crowder Smart and or the Laker pick arr just really that much better than what they got from OKC.
Sure it was.  Ainge wouldn't commit.  A commitment doesn't mean an immediate trade.  The trade with OKC wasn't finalized for a week. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Was Westbrook in Indiana?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It's ALWAYS been overstated.  I heck of a lot can change in a year; so much so that predicting where he will end up is incredibly premature.  I'm pretty sure DA figured as much as well.  But that's probably not why he didn't end up in Boston.  He didn't end up in Boston because the Pacers GM is a fool mostly.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I didn't think PG to LAL was a GIVEN. Even now that Magic Johnson came out and said that Brandon Ingram will be the face of the franchise going forward. I think Magic was genuine in his response as he wasn't even asked specifically about Ingram but his team in general, and more so about Lonzo.
So yeah, I believe him when he said it was "overstated". C'mon now, look who Tatum's favorite player (and team) was prior to getting drafted (same with Paul Pierce and he never left). If you build it, Danny, they will come here (or stay). Whatever their preference is as we all know circumstances change frequently.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I prefer George and LeBron going to the Lakers than together in Cleveland...and that's the first thought has come to my mind when reading the report.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
browing the enemy forums , especially the fakers ,  youd think he was lock to be a Laker.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Its really too early to say who should be the target. Its not hard to see why people would think the target was Fultz considering the need and stated desire for a shot creator. In reality very few will know what Danny is truly thinking but everyone can make a guess as to who they would take.

I will also say this, most people go into the eval process of these top prospects very late in the game. For example, Ainge has seen Tatum since his U16 days. He has a long book on him.
In 2 years (maybe 1 depending upon if he reclassifies) you will hear all these wild stories about R.J Barrett as he is going into his freshman year in college. Most will pick up watch games wherever he goes thus leading to varying degrees of opinions. In reality Ainge started a book on him last year and has at least 8 games of tape on him as a sophomore in HS.

I say all of this because Ainge is doing his homework long before these guys become hot to the general public. Ultimately to get a good sense of who he is targeting when he has these high picks look at guys who play in these high profile tourneys and have a high work ethic. Those seem to be traits that he seems to be after with these high picks.
Targeting a guy until you know the draft order is useless anyway.  This isn't college recruiting.