Author Topic: George: Going to LA talk is "overstated"  (Read 9127 times)

George: Going to LA talk is "overstated"
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2720966-paul-george-says-rumors-of-lakers-interest-are-overstated-in-si-interview

This is very interesting if true, which is a big if. Many of us on here said exactly this about PG's intentions before he was traded. I was certainly willing to give up the LA pick for him, because I felt that it was highly unlikely that he'd leave this good of a team for a bad one in LA. And I still do feel that way.

If he does end up staying in OKC, how big of a miss by Danny would that be? I really like what we ended up doing this summer with signing Hayward and getting Morris and Baynes, and I know it would've been ungodly expensive to add George to the mix, too. But if the owners were willing to spend the money, this would seemingly be a big miss by Danny if he doesn't end up going to LA.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:09:16 AM by jpotter33 »

Re: George: Going to LA talk is "overstated"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Ha, ha, no surprise.  He's not about to compromise his stay in OKC before it evens starts.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
It wasnt Danny fault that Pritchard couldn't and wouldn't wait..Pacers are determined to send him out West so nothing Danny can do about it...Danny I believe would have given up the Laker pick and or Smart. Really AB Crowder Smart and or the Laker pick arr just really that much better than what they got from OKC.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2720966-paul-george-says-rumors-of-lakers-interest-are-overstated-in-si-interview

This is very interesting if true, which is a big if. Many of us on here said exactly this about PG's intentions before he was traded. I was certainly willing to give up the LA pick for him, because I felt that it was highly unlikely that he'd leave this good of a team for a bad one in LA. And I still do feel that way.

If he does end up staying in OKC, how big of a miss by Danny would that be? I really like what we ended up doing this summer with signing Hayward and getting Morris and Baynes, and I know it would've been ungodly expensive to add George to the mix, too. But if the owners were willing to spend the money, this would seeekingky be a big miss by Danny if he doesn't end up going to LA.

I always thought our interest in PG was overblown. No way would I or I'm sure Danny have given up the Lakers pick. And I think the final package for him was a good reflection of his value. If you have three "max" players, and they're Hayward, Horford, and PG, you're not winning a ship and your main paths to getting better are toast.

I'm very glad we passed on George..

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

If he does end up staying in OKC, how big of a miss by Danny would that be? I really like what we ended up doing this summer with signing Hayward and getting Morris and Baynes, and I know it would've been ungodly expensive to add George to the mix, too. But if the owners were willing to spend the money, this would seeekingky be a big miss by Danny if he doesn't end up going to LA.

I always thought our interest in PG was overblown. No way would I or I'm sure Danny have given up the Lakers pick. And I think the final package for him was a good reflection of his value. If you have three "max" players, and they're Hayward, Horford, and PG, you're not winning a ship and your main paths to getting better are toast.

I don't understand that line of thought. How would our main paths to getting better be toast? Arguably the only difference is we would have not had the Lakers pick...

As it stands, after this year, we will have 3 maxes in IT, Hayward and Horford. That big 3 doesn't win a chip either. If I am hitching my horse to IT, Hay, Horford or George, Hay, Horford, the latter gets you closer.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

I don't understand that line of thought. How would our main paths to getting better be toast? Arguably the only difference is we would have not had the Lakers pick...

As it stands, after this year, we will have 3 maxes in IT, Hayward and Horford. That big 3 doesn't win a chip either. If I am hitching my horse to IT, Hay, Horford or George, Hay, Horford, the latter gets you closer.

But we won't. I will bet my account that we S&T IT next year for an elite big and draft Doncic. The Laker pick will be a major sweetener for the deal we make with IT.

You really think Danny acquired 8 first rounders in the next few drafts to build the greatest summer league squad of all time? He's packaging for a major piece..

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I know George expressed a lot of interest in playing with Hayward.

But I wonder if Hayward felt the same way.  Enough for him to be 2nd dog to Alpha dog IT.

But 3rd dog to Beta George? 

I am pretty confident that the Celtics sent out hypothetical feelers to Hayward camp, to gauge how he would feel playing 3rd fiddle.  And I would not be at all surprised if the response was tepid at best.

We will probably never know the full story here. But it is very possible that the Celtics, once they established a working dialogue with Hayward's wish list to coming here, determined to pull any offer for George off the table. I have not read a single report that contradicts this time line. The only reports I read mentioned what we offered before the trade deadline last February and right before the draft, and assumed that something similar was still on the table after.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

But we won't. I will bet my account that we S&T IT next year for an elite big and draft Doncic. The Laker pick will be a major sweetener for the deal we make with IT.

You really think Danny acquired 8 first rounders in the next few drafts to build the greatest summer league squad of all time? He's packaging for a major piece..
well, enjoy your account while you still have it. 

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff

What team would give up an elite big for IT? And hypothetically if Doncic was the target, its more likely than not that the BRK pick is the one we are getting him with anyway. Now if you believe that IT is the main piece for an elite big, then yeah the laker pick makes sense. But most teams probably don't want IT for their elite big. He has more intrinsic value to us, than to most other teams in the league.
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I was pretty confident we could resign George. Time will tell if Ainge made a mistake. I think he did personally. George>Hayward imo.

Also, we could still sign George in 2018. Would need to trade Horford, but it's possible

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Right, We use the BKN pick to grab Doncic, then trading the Laker pick with IT plus whatever picks are necessary to grab AD for example. They can move forward with Cousins, IT, and Jrue, a much more balanced, effective roster. They can use the picks to draft AD's replacement like Bamba or Ayton. Who knows..

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Right, We use the BKN pick to grab Doncic, then trading the Laker pick with IT plus whatever picks are necessary to grab AD for example. They can move forward with Cousins, IT, and Jrue, a much more balanced, effective roster. They can use the picks to draft AD's replacement like Bamba or Ayton. Who knows..

So we assume the Pelicans will give up AD to get the Kings take 2?
#JKJB

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

With added pieces. What they're doing clearly isn't working and attendance stinks. IT could put butts in seats..

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

With added pieces. What they're doing clearly isn't working and attendance stinks. IT could put butts in seats..

I just don't see them wanting IT back. If they move AD, they want a bunch of good young players and promising picks.
#JKJB

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
There is a zero percent chance he decides to spend the next 5 years of his life in Oklahoma after spending forever in Indiana