Author Topic: How many wins for the Lakers with Lopez, loaded West.  (Read 6236 times)

Re: How many wins for the Lakers with Lopez, loaded West.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
24. Enough for pick #2 with some lottery luck!  8)

West got stacked, Lopez is injury prone, and frankly their defense just flat out sucks.

But seriously, did you guys see Skip's tweet today? I know, I know, "why listen to that moron...", but seriously, it's FUNNY.  :laugh:

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/884430065836072960

Skip Bayless‏Verified account
@RealSkipBayless

Skip Bayless Retweeted UNDISPUTED
I’m not ruling out the Lakers for the 8-seed because of Lonzo Ball. The 3-pt shot will be a strength of his. More @Undisputed, now on FS1.

If the Lakers REALLY are aiming for an 8 seed, Lonzo and Ingram BETTER become all stars THIS season.

Then he says Miami will make the ECF over one of BOS/Washington. LOL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Brook Lopez
 Randle
 Ingram
 Clarkson
 Ball

Not bad at all. Four nice young players and Lopez, but they are crazy young and the West is deadly. Hard to predict. I'll say 36 wins.

I'd like to see Randle and Clarkson come off the bench. I think LAL should start Deng at PF instead of Randle. Not sure who at SG. Anybody but Clarkson. He is a ball-hog who plays no defense. He needs to come off the bench where he dribble to his own delight.

PG: Ball, Clarkson
SG:
SF: Ingram, C.Brewer, Kuzma
PF: Deng, Randle
 C: B.Lopez, Zubac

Dang, actually KCP would make a whole lot of sense for this team. Adding KCP would pull them up past 30 wins and out of the bottom 5. Lakers got a whole lot of problems at the SG position. Need a starter and a bench player. Corey Brewer is probably their best option if things stay as is.

Oh, I forgot about Nance. Sheesh, Randle wouldn't even make the rotation if roles were given out on merit. Both Deng and Nance are better than Randle.

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:46 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

West got stacked, Lopez is injury prone, and frankly their defense just flat out sucks.

But seriously, did you guys see Skip's tweet today? I know, I know, "why listen to that moron...", but seriously, it's FUNNY.  :laugh:

@RealSkipBayless

I’m not ruling out the Lakers for the 8-seed because of Lonzo Ball. The 3-pt shot will be a strength of his. More @Undisputed, now on FS1.

If the Lakers REALLY are aiming for an 8 seed, Lonzo and Ingram BETTER become all stars THIS season.

Finishing with the 2nd worst record would be perfect.  Chances are slim (20%) for #1 and no chance to go below #5.   

Finishing with 4th or 5th worst record gets pretty scary.  Decent chance they fall below #5.

Small window to maximize likelihood that the pick conveys in 2018.     

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

@RealSkipBayless

Finishing with the 2nd worst record would be perfect.  Chances are slim (20%) for #1 and no chance to go below #5.   

Finishing with 4th or 5th worst record gets pretty scary.  Decent chance they fall below #5.

Third might be ideal. Fourth worst isn't that bad.

So for those interested the chances of the pick landing 2-5 and conveying based upon the Lakers final record are as follows (according to tweet from Kevin O'Connor).

75% chance if Lakers have the worst record
80.1% if second worst
80.4% if third worst
70.9% if fourth worst
46.4% if fifth worst
15.2% if sixth worst

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=91717.msg2336000#msg2336000

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

@RealSkipBayless

Third might be ideal. Fourth worst isn't that bad.

So for those interested the chances of the pick landing 2-5 and conveying based upon the Lakers final record are as follows (according to tweet from Kevin O'Connor).

75% chance if Lakers have the worst record
80.1% if second worst
80.4% if third worst
70.9% if fourth worst
46.4% if fifth worst
15.2% if sixth worst

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=91717.msg2336000#msg2336000

1st, 2nd or 3rd worst would be the most safe.   4th would require 2 teams to hit the jackpot, but that doe feel pretty possible to me.  Given that the lottery has been good recently to teams with more ping-pong balls, there is a correction perhaps in the offing.   

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If they don't make any more moves?

Mid 20s and probably the 3rd or 4th worst record in the NBA behind probably Brooklyn Chicago and Orlando or Indiana
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 08:54:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I figure about 25 wins.  their conference gained a lot more talent overall.  Lopez and Ball won't move the needle much against the other teams. 

overall, I figure them for about the 2nd or 3rd worst team.  probably only better than the Nets and one of    these Suns/Magic/Bulls/Indy (depending on what they do the rest of the offseason - Indy and Bulls should be better than Lakers). 
Sac and Minny are better so not seeing them as competition for the bottom in the West.  East has a bunch of lousy teams but since they'll be playing each other a lot, they'll be picking up wins whereas LA will be struggling with a lot of better teams.

Ideally, in my own slightly sadistic mind where all things Laker are evil, I'd like to see the Lakers get the worst record with the Nets ending up bottom 5 and when the lottery is wrapped up, the Nets leap into the #1 pick and the LA pick drops to #2.  oh how sweet that would be.   

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

@RealSkipBayless

LOL his predictions are flat out awful worse than Michael Holley!

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lopez might eat up, alot of Randles normal buckets .

Looez is always an accident waiting to happen ,  so the Lakers are always an ankle sprain away from a 1-12 losing streak . 

without Russell and no PG .....nobody there that can carry the team scoring 20-30 points a night..

to win they will be leaning hard on Lopez and Ball tossing him inside looks.

33 wins

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I can't guess what people saying close to 35-40 games are thinking, honestly.

They have no defense, Ball is a question, Ingram is not going from Chris Babb to LBJ in one year, they have a very mediocre bench and they play on the other side of the country, in a stacked division/conference. Also, Brook Lopez can get injured as the old times or (most probably) flipped for a future pick at the deadline.

I don't see more than 25-27 wins for this team.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
24 wins, Lopez won't finish the season

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
The Lakers were the worst defensive team in the league last season and getting Ball and Lopez doesn't help. They've also lost their best 3pt shooters (Williams, Young and Russell) so they'll probably fall to bottom 5 in the league.  The West is loaded so most all of the bad teams are in the East so the Lakers only play them twice each.  That is not a combination that is going to produce a lot of wins.  I'll go with 25 wins but that could be on the high side.
This.

If the prospective starting lineup is Lopez, Randle, Ingram, Clarkson, Ball, that team is either going to be the worst defensive team in the league (for the 3rd straight year) or darn near close.

I just looked at the worst and 2nd worst defensive teams in the league over the last 10 years. There is this outlier, the 2010 Raptors, who had the worst defense in the league but won 40 games with the 5th best offense (built around Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani, Hedo Turkoglu). But the next best team with the worst offense was the 2008 Bucks who won 26 games.

Of the tean years I looked at, the best record of a team with the 2nd worst defense was the 2013 Kings: 28 wins (12th offense).

So as long as the Lakers are as terrible on offense as they look like they will be (and as long as they don't have a top 5 offense), I think 28 wins is betting high.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
If Lakers get the number 1 pick, I will kill myself. Lucky Magic is too proud
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »

Offline InBradWeTrust

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Its interesting -
They tanked so hard last year it isn't a great measure of their ability, but obviously this is almost a completely new team.
I think they will start out very slow - like worst record slow - but get better over the course of the season. My guess is they end up at 29 wins good for about 6th worst record.