Author Topic: NBA trivia  (Read 48219 times)

Re: NBA trivia
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2017, 10:48:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2017, 11:21:10 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
That's a fun one actually.

https://twitter.com/nicolas88batum/status/894257660874379264

Current players only.

I'll have a go.

1. Dennis Schröder (Germany)
2. Leonard (US)
3. Giannis (Greece)
4. Al Horford (Dominican Republic)
5. Jokic (Serbia)

Subs

1. Emmanuel Mudiay (Democratic Republic of the Congo)   
2. Andrew Wiggins (Canada)
3. Gallinari (Italy)
4. Pau Gasol (Spain)
5. Embiid (Cameroon)

Actually, there are plenty of bigs - I had to leave out Gobert, Marc Gasol, KAT, Nowitzki, Gortat. With guards it was easier.

Edit: oh wait, I can have an American too. Or at least Batum's phrasing allows for that.

Edit2: OK, I ve modified it a gazillion times, but I'm happy with it now.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:41:25 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2017, 12:25:12 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
That's a fun one actually.

https://twitter.com/nicolas88batum/status/894257660874379264

Current players only.

I'll have a go.

1. Dennis Schröder (Germany)
2. Leonard (US)
3. Giannis (Greece)
4. Al Horford (Dominican Republic)
5. Jokic (Serbia)

Subs

1. Emmanuel Mudiay (Democratic Republic of the Congo)   
2. Andrew Wiggins (Canada)
3. Gallinari (Italy)
4. Pau Gasol (Spain)
5. Embiid (Cameroon)

Actually, there are plenty of bigs - I had to leave out Gobert, Marc Gasol, KAT, Nowitzki, Gortat. With guards it was easier.

Edit: oh wait, I can have an American too. Or at least Batum's phrasing allows for that.

Edit2: OK, I ve modified it a gazillion times, but I'm happy with it now.

Starters

Dragic      Slovenia
Hield       Bahamas
Batum      France
Simmons   Australia
KP           Latvia

Second Unit

Rubio      Spain
J.J Barea   Puerto Rico
Dario Saric    Croatia
Tristan Thompson Canada
Adams       New Zealand 

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2017, 12:32:54 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
[dang] I forgot Dragic lol

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2017, 05:49:57 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Auerbach and Chamberlain

I saw this very nice find posted by /u/WhenMachinesCry on reddit. It is an excerpt of a Sports Illustrated article from 1965. The author is Chamberlain himself, writing in first person.

That Red Auerbach. Now, isn't he too much? With that cigar and the look like he would snap you in half. I mean mean. But what a guy. I can remember the first time we met—and maybe you don't know this, but he was my coach at one time. It was back in 1953 and I was a high school freshman then. Maybe about ... oh, 6 feet 10 1/2 or so ... I had been playing a lot of basketball already against some pretty tough older players, and I thought I was pretty hot stuff. And Haskell Cohen, the public relations guy for the NBA—man, he was really looking into the future—had spotted me down at Overbrook High in Philadelphia. And he got me a summer job bell-hopping at Kutsher's resort up in the Catskills. It was a sort of breeding ground for future professionals. Haskell was looking beyond high school and college, I guess. So I turned up on the circuit carrying suitcases and waiting on tables and sort of standing around all bones and eyeballs and teeth. Every summer resort up there had its own basketball team made up of college kids who needed jobs for the summer. They worked a little and played a little. And who was the coach at Kutsher's? The man with the cigar.

Looking back on it. I think maybe it was my attitude that first touched off Auerbach. You know, I wasn't exactly the most modest kid in town, and I had a lot of moves for a high school freshie playing with the big boys. And when Red would call practice he would sort of talk to me in that voice that catches you right here, right between the ribs. He especially didn't like the way I played defense.

"Don't you think, Chamberlain," Red would growl, "that it might be sort of a good idea to defense your man from in from of him instead of behind him? What the hell are you doing back there?" But I went on defending the guys from behind, reaching around with my arms to get the ball, waiting to fall on them when they wheeled around to shoot.

"We are going to play Shawanga Lodge next." said Red, looking through me. "And you are going to have to defend B. H. Born. I think it's only fair to tell you, Chamberlain, that B. H. Born has just made All-America from the University of Kansas. And I think it's only fair to tell you that B. H. Born is going to make chopped chicken liver out of you." So we played Shawanga.

At the half-time break I had scored 30-some points and Born had scored exactly two. And I came ambling back into the dressing room and flopped myself down on the training table and folded my arms behind my head. I was whistling, you know, doe de doo de doo, and sort of looking side-wise at old Red while he looked back at me with a steely stare. Finally he grinned a little trace of a grin at me. "Now about the second half." he said. Then, "Now, Mr Chamberlain, may I please have your attention for a moment?" Suddenly we understood each other. Red and I. And I learned to play defense on both sides; I play it a lot in front now. After that. Red would let me serve him drinks and cigars in his room when he was up all night playing poker, and he later got me aside to talk about future schooling. "Why don't you go to Harvard. kid?" he said. "And then I'll be able to pick you off in the territorial draft for the Celtics."

Reading this made me curious to find out more. So, here is a very short (8 min) documentary from Grantland.

The description is as follows:

In 1954, before his senior year of high school, Wilt Chamberlain took a summer job as a bellhop at Kutsher’s Country Club, a Jewish resort in the Catskill Mountains. By day he was making $2 an hour and getting great tips from the awestruck guests as he lifted their luggage through a second-floor window … while standing outside on the ground. At night, he played on the Kutsher’s basketball team and was coached by the resort’s athletic director, Celtics coach Red Auerbach. Mixing rarely seen archival video and interviews with people who lived and worked with Wilt, this short chronicles a pivotal chapter in the life of one of the game’s greatest players, and gives a fascinating glimpse into a time when basketball met the Borscht Belt in its heyday.

And finally, a short excerpt from Auerbach's obituary in Sports Illustrated.

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Came across this today in a piece about the Dream Team:

Their Olympic tuneups weren’t as much games as they were red carpet ceremonies as they laughed, galloped and, in Toni Kukoc’s case, smothered the life out of opponents, beating them by 44.3 points per game — second only to the 53.2-point margin of the 1956 squad anchored by Bill Russell.
https://theundefeated.com/features/dream-team-1992-olympic-what-ifs-25-years-later/

So the most dominant Olympic basketball team ever was actually the one led by Bill Russell (he led that team in scoring, btw).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_United_States_men%27s_Olympic_basketball_team
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2017, 08:56:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Harden drive by dunk challenge

https://streamable.com/zmug6

PS I ll try to come back to the 1956 Olympics later, it's a great topic.

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
After Turkey revoked Kanter's passport, he can not travel to Mexico with OKC on December 7th.

The only country he's eligible to travel to is Canada.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX5frAvh4zH/

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2017, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
A redditor (/u/logicatch) made an imgur collection of NBA champion caricature T-shirts.

The first team to have one was apparently the 1986 Celtics.

You can see the full 1986-2017 list here:

http://imgur.com/a/i9AjQ

And the /u/logicatch  original post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6ufsxo/for_the_past_30_years_the_team_that_wins_the_nba/

A google search returned a page where you can order t-shirts

http://www.basketballcaricaturetshirts.com/

They also have lots of caricatures of individual players, eg

Unfortunately, I found nothing about the artists.

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2017, 04:13:39 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:24:23 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald