Author Topic: So where does KCP go now? EDIT - Signs with Lakers  (Read 5449 times)

Re: So where does KCP go now? EDIT - Signs with Lakers
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Not that KCP is a real difference maker, but needless to say this is a bummer for our LAL pick next year. If that doesn't convey, we will have to hope for the best from Sac/Phi in 18-19.

I guess the worst part about it is that the Lakers didn't even invest long-term money in KCP; it's almost as if they are specifically trying to stick it to us by being just good enough this year as to not give us another top 5 pick. Seriously, what are they even thinking?
The Lakers are saving cap space for 2 max contracts next summer.  That is why they attached Russell to unload Mozgov.  If they could find someone to take Deng they would do that as well.

I guess what I said came off wrong. What I meant is, why are the even bothering with KCP for one year when their whole goal is to just have two open max spots next year? And why they heck would KCP even bother? Does he really not have any other options out there?
I was surprised he took the 1 year option as well, but there really aren't all that many options out there this late in the day. 

As for the Lakers, when you don't have your pick you have no incentive to be bad and unlike the Nets the Lakers actually have young talent.  The Nets have a hole at SG, KCP is a nice young guy, and if they end up striking out next summer then they have the inside track on re-signing him.  If the Lakers aren't completely terrible it will help their pitch next summer as well.  Signing makes perfect sense for the Lakers
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So their depth chart is now something like:

PG: Ball, Clarkson
SG: KCP, ?
SF: Ingram, Deng
PF: Randle, Nance
C: Lopez, Zubac

That's still a bottom-2/3 team in the West and still probably bottom-5 overall. You don't win much with that many young guys. That also might be the worst defense in the league.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Bottom 6 teams in no order:

Hawks
Pacers
Bulls
Nets
Magic Lakers

Slightly Better:
Kings
Suns

Who am I missing?

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Hawks
Pacers
Bulls
Nets
Magic Lakers

Slightly Better:
Kings
Suns

Who am I missing?
I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the bottom teams this year.  even with KCP I think Lakers, Nets and Magic are the bottom 3.  I think Atlanta will be pretty bad but still better than the Nets and Magic.  Bulls and Indy took a real step back this season but there's more talent left on those teams than on the Nets. 

Lakers playing in the West will really hurt their record this year.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That's still a bottom-2/3 team in the West and still probably bottom-5 overall. You don't win much with that many young guys. That also might be the worst defense in the league.
Man that's an ugly team.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Not that KCP is a real difference maker, but needless to say this is a bummer for our LAL pick next year. If that doesn't convey, we will have to hope for the best from Sac/Phi in 18-19.

I guess the worst part about it is that the Lakers didn't even invest long-term money in KCP; it's almost as if they are specifically trying to stick it to us by being just good enough this year as to not give us another top 5 pick. Seriously, what are they even thinking?
The Lakers are saving cap space for 2 max contracts next summer.  That is why they attached Russell to unload Mozgov.  If they could find someone to take Deng they would do that as well.

I guess what I said came off wrong. What I meant is, why are the even bothering with KCP for one year when their whole goal is to just have two open max spots next year? And why they heck would KCP even bother? Does he really not have any other options out there?
Maybe he thinks the Lakers are bad enough that he can be a big part of the offense and put up some numbers and get the max deal he thought he might get this summer but didn't?

If that's true then maybe he'll be gunning for himself all year and not care about the Lakers winning, which would be nice. But I'm just wishful thinking right now.

KCP is delusional if he thinks he's worth anywhere near max money.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Lakers best player is probably Brook Lopez with a VORP of 2.0 and DBPM of -.4. This team is going to be historically bad on defense..

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

People seem to think KCP is some type of defensive stopper. LOL. His DBPM is 0.0 (in other words he's a perfectly average defensive player) and he will probably be their best defender. This team will be atrocious defensively..

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I was kind of nervous when KCP signed with the Lakers early this morning but this thread has helped out a little.  I still think they get scored on at will and get pummeled in the West.

Deandre Ayton, we'll see you in 11 months big fella.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I was kind of nervous when KCP signed with the Lakers early this morning but this thread has helped out a little.  I still think they get scored on at will and get pummeled in the West.

Deandre Ayton, we'll see you in 11 months big fella.

There's actually stats guys out there that are saying KCP is atrocious defensively..

ranjis McBurnItDown‏
@T1m_NBA
KCP

62nd best SG in DRPM
22nd %ile ODR

20th %ile driving D
10th %ile iso D
39th %ile off screen D

I have concerns about that defense

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 35m35 minutes ago
More
Replying to @T1m_NBA
39th %ile jump shooting D
26th %ile off dribble D
7th %ile mid range D
11th %ile floater D
13th %ile post D
35th %ile spot up D

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 31m31 minutes ago

Positives from KCP's defense:

82nd %ile guarded catch and shoot defense

Best PnR defense on team (although just in 42nd %ile)

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 31m31 minutes ago

39th %ile for overall PnR offense when you incorporate passes as well. 13th %ile on those pass outs

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 27m27 minutes ago
More
KCP was 9th worst in driving efficiency of the 210 players who had 100+ drives last season

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 23m23 minutes ago
More
Just checked Synergy for historical KCP data and defensively he's had the same weaknesses every year since he's been in the league 

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 22m22 minutes ago
More
This isn't one fluky year of weird defensive data. He's consistently poor defending PnR, iso, off screens, drives, and off dribble shots

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 13m13 minutes ago
More
Offensively KCP brings a couple skills:

70th %ile PnR scoring (13th %ile passing)

67th %ile catch & shoot

Those the only 2 big positives

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 9m9 minutes ago
More
Playing w/Jackson & Drummond doesn't help (2 awful defenders), but remove those 2 & KCP is Detroit's worst defender by PPP

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 11:43:15 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Hawks
Pacers
Bulls
Nets
Magic Lakers

Slightly Better:
Kings
Suns

Who am I missing?
I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the bottom teams this year.  even with KCP I think Lakers, Nets and Magic are the bottom 3.  I think Atlanta will be pretty bad but still better than the Nets and Magic.  Bulls and Indy took a real step back this season but there's more talent left on those teams than on the Nets. 

Lakers playing in the West will really hurt their record this year.

I was really hoping that KCP would end up in Atlanta. I'm thinking that ATL could be a "challenger" for the bottom spot.

Mike