Author Topic: So where does KCP go now? EDIT - Signs with Lakers  (Read 5479 times)

So where does KCP go now? EDIT - Signs with Lakers
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
With the Nets taking on Carroll they ate up most of their cap room.  There are very few teams that have cap room, so does KCP take a large 1 year contract from the Lakers or does he have any other realistic options at this point.

EDIT: He signed a 1 year 18 million deal with the Lakers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:34:43 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: So where does KCP go now?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Does Chicago or Atlanta have space left? He could be a good fit in either of those places, especially with them losing players like Butler, McDermott, and Hardaway Jr recently.

EDIT: It looks like Atlanta only has around $61M in contracts for this coming season. That'd be great for us if he went there (taking them out of the tank race), and it makes sense for them after losing Hardaway Jr. Schroeder, KCP, and Prince would be a nice 1, 2, and 3.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:49:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Doesn't BRK still have a significant amount of space left?

I think the Bulls are his best fit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:51:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0675604366157156922-4

Brooklyn will still have $16.5M in room once DeMarre Carroll is added. The Nets could have over $30M in room for the 2018-19 season even with the Carroll $15.4M salary. Brooklyn now has 12 guaranteed contracts and 3 players who have non-guaranteed pacts.

I think he'll get more than that somewhere else, at least hopefully. If he went to either Chicago or Atlanta, that'd really help the Brooklyn pick out.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

One of our capologists had BKN with $16m in space. Coincidentally, the same number he turned down from Detroit.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

One of our capologists had BKN with $16m in space. Coincidentally, the same number he turned down from Detroit.

Mike
Good. It wouldn't have made a huge difference but still feel better with him not on BKN...or that horrible deal the LAL offered for only 1 year.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 12:35:05 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Mike
Good. It wouldn't have made a huge difference but still feel better with him not on BKN...or that horrible deal the LAL offered for only 1 year.

Brian Windhorst‏Verified account @WindhorstESPN  14m14 minutes ago
More
 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has agreed to a one-year, $18 million deal with the Lakers, sources tell ESPN.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 12:42:44 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Mike

Brian Windhorst‏Verified account @WindhorstESPN  14m14 minutes ago
More
 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has agreed to a one-year, $18 million deal with the Lakers, sources tell ESPN.
That is a nice pickup for them that doesn't mess up their plans for next offseason.  I might have to bump up my projection for them to 27 or 28 wins. 

Re: So where does KCP go now? EDIT - Signs with Lakers
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Interesting that he chose the 1 year deal route.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

The Lakers had stated early on this summer that they would offer only 1 year deals, to keep cap space open for next summer.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The Lakers had stated early on this summer that they would offer only 1 year deals, to keep cap space open for next summer.
I know.  I meant I thought it was interesting that KCP went the 1 year deal route.  I would have figured he would want to lock in the big money now.  I mean he might have a pretty poor season this year playing with that bad team with a bunch of young guys in LA and with fewer and fewer teams having big cap space, he might end up with a much lower contract next summer.  It just seems like a huge risk to take for him.  More power to him betting on himself a bit, but it seems like a very big risk for him.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 08:49:25 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not that KCP is a real difference maker, but needless to say this is a bummer for our LAL pick next year. If that doesn't convey, we will have to hope for the best from Sac/Phi in 18-19.

I guess the worst part about it is that the Lakers didn't even invest long-term money in KCP; it's almost as if they are specifically trying to stick it to us by being just good enough this year as to not give us another top 5 pick. Seriously, what are they even thinking?

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Not that KCP is a real difference maker, but needless to say this is a bummer for our LAL pick next year. If that doesn't convey, we will have to hope for the best from Sac/Phi in 18-19.

I guess the worst part about it is that the Lakers didn't even invest long-term money in KCP; it's almost as if they are specifically trying to stick it to us by being just good enough this year as to not give us another top 5 pick. Seriously, what are they even thinking?
The Lakers are saving cap space for 2 max contracts next summer.  That is why they attached Russell to unload Mozgov.  If they could find someone to take Deng they would do that as well. 

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The Lakers are saving cap space for 2 max contracts next summer.  That is why they attached Russell to unload Mozgov.  If they could find someone to take Deng they would do that as well.

I guess what I said came off wrong. What I meant is, why are the even bothering with KCP for one year when their whole goal is to just have two open max spots next year? And why they heck would KCP even bother? Does he really not have any other options out there?

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I guess what I said came off wrong. What I meant is, why are the even bothering with KCP for one year when their whole goal is to just have two open max spots next year? And why they heck would KCP even bother? Does he really not have any other options out there?
Maybe he thinks the Lakers are bad enough that he can be a big part of the offense and put up some numbers and get the max deal he thought he might get this summer but didn't?

If that's true then maybe he'll be gunning for himself all year and not care about the Lakers winning, which would be nice. But I'm just wishful thinking right now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008