Author Topic: Jahlil Okafor  (Read 11536 times)

Re: Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Jahlil won't be in the league within the next 3 years. See: emeka okafor

You can't compare people just because they have the same surname. They are completely different style of players.
I compare Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt all the time but NEVER John Adams and John Quincy Adams, and rarely the George Bushes

At least two of them were father-son LOL

About these two basketball players we're talking about, Jahlil doesn't resemble his... some kind of cousin? in anything.

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If Okafor came to this exact team he would be a very good and maybe even great player for us. He needs a new location and we have the best people to put around him/coach him plus he would be on a contending team.

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 11:26:45 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Okafor is bad at everything except post scoring, and he's atrocious at perimeter defense and rebounding. He was much more useful to last year's Philly team, where he was one of their primary options on offense, than he would be to us.  If someone is your 4th option on offense and a trainwreck on defense, they're simply unplayable. I literally would not take Okafor's $5m contract for nothing in return. Also, it's not like he's *that* young. Almost every good player shows at least some signs of being good within their first two years, and Okafor has had plenty of opportunities to get playing time in Philly.

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2017, 12:31:32 AM »

• Ray Allen
Okafor is bad at everything except post scoring, and he's atrocious at perimeter defense and rebounding. He was much more useful to last year's Philly team, where he was one of their primary options on offense, than he would be to us.  If someone is your 4th option on offense and a trainwreck on defense, they're simply unplayable. I literally would not take Okafor's $5m contract for nothing in return. Also, it's not like he's *that* young. Almost every good player shows at least some signs of being good within their first two years, and Okafor has had plenty of opportunities to get playing time in Philly.
Thats the point he has shown signs. Plus Stats or eye test he is a better ROI than any other player we could get w/o giving up a lot.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 01:09:27 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Thats the point he has shown signs. Plus Stats or eye test he is a better ROI than any other player we could get w/o giving up a lot.

By on court - off court splits he was actually the worst player in the entire league for a time last year. I don't think he has shown anything other than being a detriment.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 01:52:19 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Why are people so shocked he is a bust? It is not all that different from Anthony Bennett, Thomas Robinson, Ekpe udoh etc

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 02:52:36 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Why are people so shocked he is a bust? It is not all that different from Anthony Bennett, Thomas Robinson, Ekpe udoh etc

To be fair, he is quite more skilled than those names.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've been very impressed with his offensive skills.  D and rebounding?  Not.  I think with the right team he could become a very good player.  If I could get him cheap I'd do it.

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
We already have a developmental big in Zizic. Okafor would be dead weight/end of bench fodder and get zero minutes. If they do sign another big man, it'll be a minimum vet lockeroom type of guy imo

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I don't see why not. Wouldn't hurt to have a 22 year old Center who was once the 3rd pick in the draft.  If we can get him for cheap, why not?

Brad Stevens is the type of coach that puts players in the best position to succeed and he makes players better.  See: Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Evan Turner.

I think he can do the same for Jahlil Okafor.  I also think that Gordon Hayward is going to have a career year this season.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:06:40 PM by CELTICSofBOSTON »

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Perhaps moreso than Udoh or Bennett, but Robinson is similar in that he appears to have one very elite NBA skill. Robinson has actually averaged 15 rebounds per 36 throughout his career which is pretty good and is probably an even better offensive rebounder. What is funny is that Robinson actually did put up really nice numbers the one year he played in Philly's rebuild system that were quite similar to Okafor 17 and 15 per 36. However, being an elite rebounder gets people a lot less excited than being an elite post scorer and Robinson has been given more opportunities so there is less mystery with him at this point. All that being said I don't think people should be so shocked if the two of them have similar careers.

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Perhaps moreso than Udoh or Bennett, but Robinson is similar in that he appears to have one very elite NBA skill. Robinson has actually averaged 15 rebounds per 36 throughout his career which is pretty good and is probably an even better offensive rebounder. What is funny is that Robinson actually did put up really nice numbers the one year he played in Philly's rebuild system that were quite similar to Okafor 17 and 15 per 36. However, being an elite rebounder gets people a lot less excited than being an elite post scorer and Robinson has been given more opportunities so there is less mystery with him at this point. All that being said I don't think people should be so shocked if the two of them have similar careers.

So are people saying that the equivalent of Thomas Robinson is notably worse at the end of a bench than TZ, DJ,  GG, Mickey, Young... which was last year's group of sometimes, occasionally, sparingly used bench players?  Okafor  has the potential to add more value to the team than any of last year's end of bench players.  Forget 'bust', forget former #3, Okafur is a 7' 21 yo who has averaged 15 pts and 6 rebounds in 2 NBA seasons.  If the cost is minimal I don't see how this isn't a no-brainer.

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him, BUT now I think that's extremely difficult because of salary issues now.

And no, I wouldn't want to give up Rozier in any deal for him, so there's that.

With no Fultz and now no Bradley, guard depth is important and therefore, keeping Smart+Rozier is probably Ainge's goal now (alongside or behind Isaiah). Good chance Jackson doesn't stay either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

So are people saying that the equivalent of Thomas Robinson is notably worse at the end of a bench than TZ, DJ,  GG, Mickey, Young... which was last year's group of sometimes, occasionally, sparingly used bench players?  Okafor  has the potential to add more value to the team than any of last year's end of bench players.  Forget 'bust', forget former #3, Okafur is a 7' 21 yo who has averaged 15 pts and 6 rebounds in 2 NBA seasons.  If the cost is minimal I don't see how this isn't a no-brainer.
I agree that he has some talent but the guy that averaged 15 and 6 in his first two years would have averaged slightly more than 0 and 0 on teams like the Spurs, GS, and Cleveland- which is what we want to be.

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »

• Ray Allen

I agree that he has some talent but the guy that averaged 15 and 6 in his first two years would have averaged slightly more than 0 and 0 on teams like the Spurs, GS, and Cleveland- which is what we want to be.
There is no way you can know that. And the Cavs could have used a guy like Okafor in the Finals when TT was doing nothing. A guy that they could have dumped it down to and he scores. Most people agree he needs a new scene and IMO the Celtics would be the perfect team for him.  He has the talent and the physical tools (7'6'' wingspan and 9'3'' standing reach) to be an effective defender and extend his offensive game.

His value is low and the ROI is possibly huge.