Author Topic: Jahlil Okafor  (Read 11540 times)

Re: Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Now, I'm not an Okafor fan by any means, but apparently Danny Ainge still has interest in him. While acquiring him in a S&T for Amir is no longer a possibility (Amir officially signed yesterday), there is a way for Danny to get him quite easily. Seeing as we're in need of bigs, I thought I might as well put this out there.

Demetrius Jackson 2017-18 salary: $1,384,750
Jordan Mickey 2017-18 salary: $1,471,382

Djax + Mickey x 1.75 + 100k = $5,098,231

Jahlil Okafor 2017-18 salary: $4,955,120

So, we have the capability to match salary very easily. If necessary, we could sweeten the deal with a second. I'm not advocating for this, but if Dedmon is too expensive, and we miss on the Willie Reeds of the world, it might not be a horrible idea.

I was curious about how a trade like this affects the cap situation. Once the AB trade goes through, can we sign Hayward outright?

If we could trade Mickey/Jackson (along with a future 2nd rounder and/or the rights to a former 2nd rounder like Nader) for a cheap big like Okafor, Kyle O'Quinn, or Noah Vonleh....that would be huge.

Then we could use the room exception on another big like Willie Reed, Tarik Black, Dwayne Dedmon

Or Aron Baynes lol
lol

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2017/5/10/15588092/kyle-oquinns-2016-17-season-in-review

If there is a way to trade Mickey and Jacksons contracts for a cheap big, I want O'Quinn over Okafor. Could be a backup 5, but also can play the 4 if we want to go big.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2017/5/10/15588092/kyle-oquinns-2016-17-season-in-review

If there is a way to trade Mickey and Jacksons contracts for a cheap big, I want O'Quinn over Okafor. Could be a backup 5, but also can play the 4 if we want to go big.

Financially, this works as well. I'd be fine with O'Quinn, but he'd likely cost a lot more than Okafor.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
i'd like it.  anymore talent upfront.  plus,  i feel like okafur needs a change of scenery.  not sure he's shown what he can do yet.   how isn't he a fatty sully on steroids in our system.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
With Baynes signed at $4.3M, I doubt Okafor is in the picture at this point. They wanted D and toughness up front--with experience. They got it with Baynes.

Okafor is basically an offensive player without much experience in the league.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
His value is so low now.  If we could get him for virtually nothing, I'd be curious to see what Stevens could do with him.

I would as well. He's a reclamation project aka Evan Turner at this point and that's worth kicking the tires on.

I remember that there were some who thought he was worth the #3 pick two years ago....   :o

People said he was better than Towns  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
His value is so low now.  If we could get him for virtually nothing, I'd be curious to see what Stevens could do with him.

I would as well. He's a reclamation project aka Evan Turner at this point and that's worth kicking the tires on.

I remember that there were some who thought he was worth the #3 pick two years ago....   :o

People said he was better than Towns  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

that did  not last long. I remember trying to convince a friend in Minnesota that Towns was the better pick he was all in for Okafor. He had not clue about Towns.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 07:41:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Got skills on offense

Low attitude , no heart , bad motor = no defense

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Hes lazy af and can't move. He was overrated because he played at Duke.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31

He won a National Championship at a Duke and was instrumental. I guarantee you the Lakers wish they had drafted Okafor instead of Russell. Too many people are ready to throw dirt on this guy and he's 21 years old and extremely gifted. I think Stevens would make Okafor a star player in the eastern conference. Okafor needs a change of scenery and a winning situation. That's all he needs. With Embid, he's never going to get that chance in Philly.

I am still holding out hope Ainge can acquire him and the reclamation project can begin.

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Jahlil won't be in the league within the next 3 years. See: emeka okafor

You can't compare people just because they have the same surname. They are completely different style of players.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Jahlil won't be in the league within the next 3 years. See: emeka okafor

You can't compare people just because they have the same surname. They are completely different style of players.
I compare Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt all the time but NEVER John Adams and John Quincy Adams, and rarely the George Bushes

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

He won a National Championship at a Duke and was instrumental. I guarantee you the Lakers wish they had drafted Okafor instead of Russell. Too many people are ready to throw dirt on this guy and he's 21 years old and extremely gifted. I think Stevens would make Okafor a star player in the eastern conference. Okafor needs a change of scenery and a winning situation. That's all he needs. With Embid, he's never going to get that chance in Philly.

I am still holding out hope Ainge can acquire him and the reclamation project can begin.
he can't play basketball. Have you ever seen him play in the NBA?

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Yeah this is just not true. Jah is extremely skilled around the basket, he has incredible basketball instincts in the post, something that is rare these days.
The fact that his skillset is not that relevant in the modern NBA is...well irrelevant. He can definitely play ball.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Yeah this is just not true. Jah is extremely skilled around the basket, he has incredible basketball instincts in the post, something that is rare these days.
The fact that his skillset is not that relevant in the modern NBA is...well irrelevant. He can definitely play ball.
TP Sudance.
Plus he is long/big enough to be an effective defender: 9'3'' standing reach with a 7'6.25'' wingspan
IMO Okafor is the most undervalued/ misunderstood player in the game. He is not a "finished" product at only 21 years old. He needs a new team and new location bc Philly is the worst place for him to be.