Author Topic: Jahlil Okafor  (Read 11545 times)

Jahlil Okafor
« on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Now, I'm not an Okafor fan by any means, but apparently Danny Ainge still has interest in him. While acquiring him in a S&T for Amir is no longer a possibility (Amir officially signed yesterday), there is a way for Danny to get him quite easily. Seeing as we're in need of bigs, I thought I might as well put this out there.

Demetrius Jackson 2017-18 salary: $1,384,750
Jordan Mickey 2017-18 salary: $1,471,382

Djax + Mickey x 1.75 + 100k = $5,098,231

Jahlil Okafor 2017-18 salary: $4,955,120

So, we have the capability to match salary very easily. If necessary, we could sweeten the deal with a second. I'm not advocating for this, but if Dedmon is too expensive, and we miss on the Willie Reeds of the world, it might not be a horrible idea.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
As a Duke fan I am a fan of the kid, however feel he would be a poor fit on this team. I think we need a big rebounding defensive center. He's an Al Jefferson type. If we could bring him in for that level package I wouldn't be too upset. Doubt Philly does that though.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Considering the Willie Reeds of the world over the Jahils of the world if Jahil is free is beyond idiotic. Jahil at this point is probably the most underrated player in the league.

If people think trotting out 207 pound guys at PF is some genius move that will never change they are going to be sadly surprised at some point.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Considering the Willie Reeds of the world over the Jahils of the world if Jahil is free is beyond idiotic. Jahil at this point is probably the most underrated player in the league.

If people think trotting out 207 pound guys at PF is some genius move that will never change they are going to be sadly surprised at some point.

At least Willie Reed has been a positive force in his career.

Willie Reed career On-Off (per 100 possessions): + 0.9
Jahlil Okafor career On-Off: -11

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

TP
IMO Okafor would be great on our team sep w/ CBS, new organization, and the culture/makeup of the team. We have shooters and defenders, something Philly completely lacked w/ jahlil.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Jahlil won't be in the league within the next 3 years. See: emeka okafor

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
His value is so low now.  If we could get him for virtually nothing, I'd be curious to see what Stevens could do with him.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
His value is so low now.  If we could get him for virtually nothing, I'd be curious to see what Stevens could do with him.

I think it makes some sense. Worst case scenario, you can't fix him and he's out of the league in 3-5 years, but you gave up nothing to get him. Best case scenario, he gets his conditioning up to par, learns how to use his size and length, and becomes a really useful player.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
As a Duke fan I am a fan of the kid, however feel he would be a poor fit on this team. I think we need a big rebounding defensive center. He's an Al Jefferson type. If we could bring him in for that level package I wouldn't be too upset. Doubt Philly does that though.
He's only 21 years old yet most people view him as a finished product. He does have the ability to stretch the floor ala Myles Turner IMO( which would open his game up and increase his value exponentially) and he does have a 7'6'' wingspan and 9'3'' standing reach.

I was hoping we had some handshake agreement with Philly after the Fultz trade to engage in an Okafor trade later. The talk with Amir Johnson got me excited

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would  be willing to kick the tires on Okafor. He still has upside. I'd give them the Clippers pick and a second for Okafor.

I'm not sure if this move would preclude us from adding Yabu though. If we can bring over Yabu trade for Okafor and add a big with the mle, our roster would have good balance.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Jahlil won't be in the league within the next 3 years. See: emeka okafor
You mean a guy that played for 9 years and was basically forced into retirement because of a herniated disc.  That said he was finally medically cleared to return in May, so maybe he tries to mount a comeback.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I like Okafor, always have. I'd like to see him on this team.

In terms of he trade it depends on whether we bring Yab over. If we do then I believe one of Jackson or Mickey, likely Mickey, needs to be waived to sign Hayward. If Yab stays overseas, which I would prefer, then I can see it as a possibility

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I would as well. He's a reclamation project aka Evan Turner at this point and that's worth kicking the tires on.

I remember that there were some who thought he was worth the #3 pick two years ago....   :o
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Now, I'm not an Okafor fan by any means, but apparently Danny Ainge still has interest in him. While acquiring him in a S&T for Amir is no longer a possibility (Amir officially signed yesterday), there is a way for Danny to get him quite easily. Seeing as we're in need of bigs, I thought I might as well put this out there.

So, we have the capability to match salary very easily. If necessary, we could sweeten the deal with a second. I'm not advocating for this, but if Dedmon is too expensive, and we miss on the Willie Reeds of the world, it might not be a horrible idea.

I was curious about how a trade like this affects the cap situation. Once the AB trade goes through, can we sign Hayward outright?

If we could trade Mickey/Jackson (along with a future 2nd rounder and/or the rights to a former 2nd rounder like Nader) for a cheap big like Okafor, Kyle O'Quinn, or Noah Vonleh....that would be huge.

Then we could use the room exception on another big like Willie Reed, Tarik Black, Dwayne Dedmon

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

I was curious about how a trade like this affects the cap situation. Once the AB trade goes through, can we sign Hayward outright?

If we could trade Mickey/Jackson (along with a future 2nd rounder and/or the rights to a former 2nd rounder like Nader) for a cheap big like Okafor, Kyle O'Quinn, or Noah Vonleh....that would be huge.

Then we could use the room exception on another big like Willie Reed, Tarik Black, Dwayne Dedmon

Or Aron Baynes lol