Author Topic: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT  (Read 18689 times)

Re: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
This is dumb. All so very dumb.

People are naked when they don't have clothes. Nothing disgusting about it.

Oppositely, if people want to be weirded out or disgusted by naked bodies, all the power to you.

The body issue is something that explores the different forms of human achievement. Beautiful expressions of accomplishment. These people's bodies are their temples and they are proud of their amazing form.

You have choice. Don't look if you don't want to see.

What is bad about children seeing a nude body? They look at one everyday, their own. Teach them that these bodies they see are what hard work and perseverance looks like. It's positive.
Great. Then how about we parade naked men through your teenage daughters showers in the locker room and tell her "it's okay. People are naked when they have no clothes. Nothing disgusting about it". See, you don't want to discuss the topic, just create an alternative discussion because you can't win the one that was being discussed.

It's not about winning. You are no more right than I am. And yes, when I have children I will be showing them naked bodies and teaching them that humans are Beautful and good. I would rather them not develop nerois' and have a healthy relationship with their bodies and the bodies of others.

But honestly, suck it. I hope the naked bodies of sports stars haunt your dreams. I hope your children are bombarded with images of amazing naked people. And most of all, I hope your children develop a healthy relationship with reality - despite you.

Hear, hear!!!!!!!  In all my years on this forum, this is The GOAT post.

The conservatism of the OP is just more evidence of how despicable humans can be.

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I feel like this complete nonissue is being made one. I can understand not liking or not caring for the particular content or whatever (I don't really care for it, I just want sports news), but to make such a fuss over it seems immature.
So you agree with not really likng the fact that it's on a sports site, just think we should shut up about it and not voice our opinion.

My thinking is this. If YOU have an opinion on something that you feel matters, I'd prefer you spoke up about it. I promise not to call you names like immature, it insinuate that the topic is dumb. I might agree with you it I might not. I'll possibly post what I think about it to add to the discussion it give you a different point of view to maybe add to your own understanding. There will be however a bunch on here that tell you that you have no right to think the way you do and to shut up. I wish you luck though.

I haven't read everyones post, but you, you're self are telling ESPN to think the way you do. When they post a pic, thats a view point. It's pa of the 1st amendment, so telling them they % of it shouldn't post pics of nudish sports figures is trying to get them to think the way they do. And that's your right, but it's also their right to post or print them.

You calling it soft **** is out of line, and saying it's different than the statue David the same, and that's not opinion, it's fact. Nude IT, art, depending on who you talk to. Basic Instinct, soft ****.

I had to scroll way down to find it. The way it was being presented it was all over the front page, and maybe the day it came out, it was. Thing is some of you are making it like you have to get all your sports info from ESPN. I might get  10% of it from them, use tradmachine and thats it. Most come from other sources. There are a lot of things and people(most whom I'm friend with) do or say things I don't care for. Hobby Lobby doesn't like gay marriage, but you know what, in my small town I can get the art supplies I need in a pinch there. But I don't raise a stink every time I walk through. Same with Chick Fila, don't necessarily like their views, but they make a good chicken sandwich that doesn't destroy my insides like McDonalds. 

If your kid is too young for ESPN's Body, then they are too young to be on the internet unsupervised, or with out parental locks.

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Oppositely, if people want to be weirded out or disgusted by naked bodies, all the power to you.

The body issue is something that explores the different forms of human achievement. Beautiful expressions of accomplishment. These people's bodies are their temples and they are proud of their amazing form.

What is bad about children seeing a nude body? They look at one everyday, their own. Teach them that these bodies they see are what hard work and perseverance looks like. It's positive.
Great. Then how about we parade naked men through your teenage daughters showers in the locker room and tell her "it's okay. People are naked when they have no clothes. Nothing disgusting about it". See, you don't want to discuss the topic, just create an alternative discussion because you can't win the one that was being discussed.

It's not about winning. You are no more right than I am. And yes, when I have children I will be showing them naked bodies and teaching them that humans are Beautful and good. I would rather them not develop nerois' and have a healthy relationship with their bodies and the bodies of others.

But honestly, suck it. I hope the naked bodies of sports stars haunt your dreams. I hope your children are bombarded with images of amazing naked people. And most of all, I hope your children develop a healthy relationship with reality - despite you.
And your true colors come out. Not surprised at your view then.

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
The strong emotions from both sides in this thread  :laugh:
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Hear, hear!!!!!!!  In all my years on this forum, this is The GOAT post.

The conservatism of the OP is just more evidence of how despicable humans can be.
Not wanting to have to look at someone's naked arse makes someone despicable?! And now somehow it is political?! LOL.

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
So, I just went to ESPN.com.  I scrolled through about fifteen headlines on the front page before seeing an image of six naked women with hockey sticks.  It was a fairly wide shot and it didn't show much in the way of "private parts."  To see more, one would have to click on that headline and choose to watch the entire thing.

If one were insulted by it, I would assume that person would choose to scroll right past the "body issue" segment.
And as of this morning when I sent them the email and posted this the first two images on the page online were these pictures. If it was buried down there where you are correct it currently is then I doubt I would have said anything. Just don't make it the very first thing on the page like it was. Maybe my email actually did something. Doubt it though. Probably just a computed randomly rotating the stories.

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I am fed up with having to open up ESPN online and the first thing I see in large image are naked photos of men and women. What on Earth have we come to in society where this is okay?! How do we tolerate this? Don't want to hear the false argument that it is somehow art. It's soft core **** plain and simple. I shouldn't have to look over my shoulder when I'm logging in to check doors scores or stories to see if my children are behind me. Please do as I did and send an email to support@espn.com to voice your desire for them to get this crap off there. This is why their group is imploding. No values and loss of focus of why they're there.

I'm a fan of good looking naked women and **** so I think we disagree there. Now with all the tattoos yea not so cool! ;)

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2017, 08:10:36 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
First person who disagrees with my premise and thinks it's perfectly fine that can tell me why placing a cropped version of a couple pics with the link to the full site is a problem gets 10 tommy points.

I bet you wouldn't tell african americans if they don't like the confederate flag just to not look at it... I don't find any offense in it, however I wouldn't fly one knowing it was offensive to others.

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
First person who disagrees with my premise and thinks it's perfectly fine that can tell me why placing a cropped version of a couple pics with the link to the full site is a problem gets 10 tommy points.

I bet you wouldn't tell african americans if they don't like the confederate flag just to not look at it... I don't find any offense in it, however I wouldn't fly one knowing it was offensive to others.

On my version of ESPN.COM, the full thing did not show up unless I clicked on a link.  The cover photo for the link was one of the tamer ones of the whole segment.

Additionally, it was fairly far down on the main page.  Do you have a different version of ESPN.COM where you are forced to look at every picture?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I don't find any offense in it, however I wouldn't fly one knowing it was offensive to others.

Keep in mind, non-sexual individual freedoms are despised by most Liberals because they contain within them an element of personal responsibility, self-sacrifice, or abstention. This is sexual freedom so it's acceptable.

Personally, I think you're all a bit sensitive  ;), though I agree with keeping this stuff out of the eyes of kids.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:25:07 PM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
It's the human body,  not ****. So you consider 'David' ****?

That's a different topic to a point, but I don't see statues of David on ESPN. This isn't art. It's trying to push extremes and filth. That's what Disney does anymore sadly. The human body should be covered, however at the least I shouldn't have to have that pop up in my face without choosing to go see it.

Just because YOU don't think it's art doesn't mean it isn't. You don't get to decide what's art for everyone else. You don't like it? Don't look and shut the heck up. When you have a problem with Disney then perhaps it's time to look at the root causes of your own squeamishness.

By the way, if you want to see filth I'm sure we can direct you to some more entertaining sites.
Right here is exactly the problem. They don't allow me the choice not to look at it. And to say shut the heck up is exactly what's wrong with things these days. You're all for freedom of expression and choice as long as they agree with you. If not then shut the heck up. People's freedom extends to the point that it takes away others freedoms. You can't choose to force your beliefs on others. I'm not trying to say you can't look at this if you choose to. I'm just saying I shouldn't be forced to. So when I go on a sports page I shouldn't be forced to look at naked butts.
if espn started showing ****o during the day, these same people saying "its just the human body" would he justifying it by saying "its just sex! Who cares, don't look!"

Its ridiculous

Yes, it would be awful. Especially if the did it from July 24-27, when my wife is out of town. No, I most certainly would not watch it...

Mike

« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I don't find any offense in it, however I wouldn't fly one knowing it was offensive to others.

Keep in mind, non-sexual individual freedoms are despised by most Liberals because they contain within them an element of personal responsibility, self-sacrifice, or abstention. This is sexual freedom so it's acceptable.

Personally, I think you're all snowflakes, though I agree with keeping this stuff out of the eyes of kids.

Can you explain which "non-sexual individual freedoms are despised by most Liberals"?  I'm curious.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

Personally, I think you're all snowflakes, though I agree with keeping this stuff out of the eyes of kids.

Can you explain which "non-sexual individual freedoms are despised by most Liberals"?  I'm curious.

Economic freedom
right to carry
freedom of speech

to name a few.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Economic freedom
right to carry
freedom of speech

to name a few.

Great, thanks.  We must know different Liberals.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2017, 08:38:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Personally, I think you're all a bit sensitive  ;), though I agree with keeping this stuff out of the eyes of kids.

Societal norms are changing. Swears are acceptable on TV now. The best show on TV (in my opinion) Game of Thrones uses the C-word willy nilly. People are dressing differently as well. Please tell me you have an issue with women wearing yoga pants b/c kids might see an upclose, descriptive image of a bottom....

I think it would be a good societal change if kids saw bodies as amazing tools for success. The sexual organs were covered. When you see bottoms, I see glutes, IT bands, hamstrings, etc. Maybe people are becoming de-sensitized, but I don't think its a bad thing. People in other countries seem to be more ok with public nudity.

There doesn't have to be a sexual thought when you see Edelman or the women's hockey team. It's ok to admire their body sculpting as art- the way ESPN intended it to be viewed.