Author Topic: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT  (Read 18710 times)

Re: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Interesting this would come up now, as I just viewed an episode of a classic TV show on this very topic.

I'll give you three guesses where the show's main character, that learned, erudite champion of enlightened thought - Archie Bunker - came out on this issue. The first two don't count.

But I guess this is how we're gonna make America great again, eh? If only people were as interested in my 1st Amendment rights as they are my 2nd.

Not sure if you know this, but Archie Bunker was a fictional character?!  ;D They really should do an interview with Homer Simpson to see where he stands on the matter...

And I am definitely interested in both of those rights along with all the others the Constitution affords you. I fully respect you having a different opinion on the issue and am fine with that. If you read the tone of the thread though it appears that many do not have that same respect and don't think I should have the right to believe as I do.

The main thing everyone needs to understand is that my rights END where they interfere with anothers. I have the right to view and act however I want in my own home. I don't however have the right to put up a ten foot TV on the side of my home and play offensive material and then say "Well if you don't like it just don't look". That takes YOUR rights away. This isn't a freedom of speech issue. It's something that many deem offensive and shouldn't be placed in an area that realistically doesn't allow people to avoid it. I wouldn't intentionally put something offensive to you up whether I personally thought it was offensive or not.

Let's be serious though. We no longer live in a country where free speech is really free. It's free speech as long as it doesn't have any possible offensive interpretation by anyone. I'm sure if they put a picture of the bible or the ten commandments in prominent position on the front of ESPN the arguments on here by many would change...

As this thread indicates, along with current events, et al., dismissing Archie Bunker's world view as fictional is the same kind of naivete that would assume your reading preferences supersede others.

It comes as no surprise that you've consistently and belligerently missed a broader point others have tried to make: If you don't like the content, don't look at it. I can only assume that you just can't keep your eyes off ESPN. For some reason that I'll leave to others to speculate.

There also are some laughable contentions you've made about that content being **** that lead to some assumptions as well. Hope you never find true **** under the mattress of one of your kids.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I feel like this complete nonissue is being made one. I can understand not liking or not caring for the particular content or whatever (I don't really care for it, I just want sports news), but to make such a fuss over it seems immature.
So you agree with not really likng the fact that it's on a sports site, just think we should shut up about it and not voice our opinion.

My thinking is this. If YOU have an opinion on something that you feel matters, I'd prefer you spoke up about it. I promise not to call you names like immature, it insinuate that the topic is dumb. I might agree with you it I might not. I'll possibly post what I think about it to add to the discussion it give you a different point of view to maybe add to your own understanding. There will be however a bunch on here that tell you that you have no right to think the way you do and to shut up. I wish you luck though.

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2017, 07:06:15 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Interesting this would come up now, as I just viewed an episode of a classic TV show on this very topic.

I'll give you three guesses where the show's main character, that learned, erudite champion of enlightened thought - Archie Bunker - came out on this issue. The first two don't count.

But I guess this is how we're gonna make America great again, eh? If only people were as interested in my 1st Amendment rights as they are my 2nd.

Not sure if you know this, but Archie Bunker was a fictional character?!  ;D They really should do an interview with Homer Simpson to see where he stands on the matter...

And I am definitely interested in both of those rights along with all the others the Constitution affords you. I fully respect you having a different opinion on the issue and am fine with that. If you read the tone of the thread though it appears that many do not have that same respect and don't think I should have the right to believe as I do.

The main thing everyone needs to understand is that my rights END where they interfere with anothers. I have the right to view and act however I want in my own home. I don't however have the right to put up a ten foot TV on the side of my home and play offensive material and then say "Well if you don't like it just don't look". That takes YOUR rights away. This isn't a freedom of speech issue. It's something that many deem offensive and shouldn't be placed in an area that realistically doesn't allow people to avoid it. I wouldn't intentionally put something offensive to you up whether I personally thought it was offensive or not.

Let's be serious though. We no longer live in a country where free speech is really free. It's free speech as long as it doesn't have any possible offensive interpretation by anyone. I'm sure if they put a picture of the bible or the ten commandments in prominent position on the front of ESPN the arguments on here by many would change...

As this thread indicates, along with current events, et al., dismissing Archie Bunker's world view as fictional is the same kind of naivete that would assume your reading preferences supersede others.

It comes as no surprise that you've consistently and belligerently missed a broader point others have tried to make: If you don't like the content, don't look at it. I can only assume that you just can't keep your eyes off ESPN. For some reason that I'll leave to others to speculate.

There also are some laughable contentions you've made about that content being **** that lead to some assumptions as well. Hope you never find true **** under the mattress of one of your kids.
[/quote

Love condescension. It sure makes people think so much more of you. Plus then you don't have to actually argue the points made. Clearly no one's rights or opinions matter to you but your own and everyone else's are laughable. I'll bow out from discussing it further with you your highness.

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2017, 07:12:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Then don't buy the issue, problem solved, or don't look at the pics.

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It's the expectation of what you will see somewhere. To make the point here's an extreme example. If I go into a 2nd grade elementary school class I do not expect to see a risque picture of a lady in a swimsuit. Using the argument " well it's the human body, or if you don't like it don't send your kids to school. Stupid argument.

Does anyone think this issue (or any issue) is geared/intended for 7-year-olds? A 2nd grade elementary school classroom IS designed for just that, second-graders.

If you take your son into a public restroom and he sees one of those wall dispensers with condoms in it, are you gonna complain?

Do you really think that 7 year olds don't pull up ESPN to check out the baseball scores? And ESPN is designed for sports, not nudity... Just like a classroom is designed for children. And as an adult I know there are condom dispensers in bathrooms and can take appropriate measures as needed if I don't want them seeing that. Plus condom dispensers don't have nude pictures on them. If they did then yes I'd complain.

So your problem is really only with nudity, not shielding your children from adult-themed topics?

ESPN, by name, is the Entertainment and SPorts Network. They are, as you know, a business. That business is directed at predominantly males, probably aged 18-49 or whatever. So maybe kids will go on the site. Maybe women will. Maybe seniors will. Just because other people than the intended audience browse their website, doesn't make the body issue ****ographic. I really don't see how it's shocking to see a little skin on a website like ESPN's. And that's all it is, skin. If your children have so many questions about an uncovered torso or legs, maybe they are old enough to learn about them.

I don't see anything raunchy or particularly risqué about them. These are athletes who train dozens of hours a week to hone their craft, these aren't anorexic models or augmented "actresses."
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I wonder what the page over/under on this thread is.

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Thanks for the heads up, EJ.  I go to the ESPN app on my phone every day, multiple times a day for summer league updates.  I never saw anything about a "body issue."  Thanks to your thread, though, I googled it and looked through the whole thing.

I thought it was great.  Some beautiful bodies on there.  Thanks again.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2017, 07:43:16 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
It's the expectation of what you will see somewhere. To make the point here's an extreme example. If I go into a 2nd grade elementary school class I do not expect to see a risque picture of a lady in a swimsuit. Using the argument " well it's the human body, or if you don't like it don't send your kids to school. Stupid argument.

Does anyone think this issue (or any issue) is geared/intended for 7-year-olds? A 2nd grade elementary school classroom IS designed for just that, second-graders.

If you take your son into a public restroom and he sees one of those wall dispensers with condoms in it, are you gonna complain?

Do you really think that 7 year olds don't pull up ESPN to check out the baseball scores? And ESPN is designed for sports, not nudity... Just like a classroom is designed for children. And as an adult I know there are condom dispensers in bathrooms and can take appropriate measures as needed if I don't want them seeing that. Plus condom dispensers don't have nude pictures on them. If they did then yes I'd complain.

So your problem is really only with nudity, not shielding your children from adult-themed topics?

ESPN, by name, is the Entertainment and SPorts Network. They are, as you know, a business. That business is directed at predominantly males, probably aged 18-49 or whatever. So maybe kids will go on the site. Maybe women will. Maybe seniors will. Just because other people than the intended audience browse their website, doesn't make the body issue ****ographic. I really don't see how it's shocking to see a little skin on a website like ESPN's. And that's all it is, skin. If your children have so many questions about an uncovered torso or legs, maybe they are old enough to learn about them.

I don't see anything raunchy or particularly risqué about them. These are athletes who train dozens of hours a week to hone their craft, these aren't anorexic models or augmented "actresses."

I think I've made it pretty clear I have a problem with nudity where it doesn't belong. If you showed up at your church and the walls were covered in these would you have the same response? I'm totally okay with doing a half cut out of some of these with a link to the full display. This solves everyone's problem. Nothing lost. Just protects those who don't want to see it. And they aren't just uncovered torsos and legs. They are full crack butt shots of men and women. Pubic areas that if they weren't completely shaved would be covered in hair. Complete breasts with just barely covering nipples. There is no reason they couldn't accomplish the same images showing off their muscles with tiny bathing suits on if that was their real intent. But it's not. It's to sensationalize things. And the solution is just not to show much of it unless you click the link. Someone please argue why that's such a huge trouble.

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
This is dumb. All so very dumb.

People are naked when they don't have clothes. Nothing disgusting about it.

Oppositely, if people want to be weirded out or disgusted by naked bodies, all the power to you.

The body issue is something that explores the different forms of human achievement. Beautiful expressions of accomplishment. These people's bodies are their temples and they are proud of their amazing form.

You have choice. Don't look if you don't want to see.

What is bad about children seeing a nude body? They look at one everyday, their own. Teach them that these bodies they see are what hard work and perseverance looks like. It's positive.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2017, 07:46:00 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Oppositely, if people want to be weirded out or disgusted by naked bodies, all the power to you.

The body issue is something that explores the different forms of human achievement. Beautiful expressions of accomplishment. These people's bodies are their temples and they are proud of their amazing form.

What is bad about children seeing a nude body? They look at one everyday, their own. Teach them that these bodies they see are what hard work and perseverance looks like. It's positive.
Great. Then how about we parade naked men through your teenage daughters showers in the locker room and tell her "it's okay. People are naked when they have no clothes. Nothing disgusting about it". See, you don't want to discuss the topic, just create an alternative discussion because you can't win the one that was being discussed.

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I mean it is pretty annoying. They should have it as a link on the side or smthing
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday

Great. Then how about we parade naked men through your teenage daughters showers in the locker room and tell her "it's okay. People are naked when they have no clothes. Nothing disgusting about it". See, you don't want to discuss the topic, just create an alternative discussion because you can't win the one that was being discussed.

It's not about winning. You are no more right than I am. And yes, when I have children I will be showing them naked bodies and teaching them that humans are Beautful and good. I would rather them not develop nerois' and have a healthy relationship with their bodies and the bodies of others.

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday

It's not about winning. You are no more right than I am. And yes, when I have children I will be showing them naked bodies and teaching them that humans are Beautful and good. I would rather them not develop nerois' and have a healthy relationship with their bodies and the bodies of others.

But honestly, suck it. I hope the naked bodies of sports stars haunt your dreams. I hope your children are bombarded with images of amazing naked people. And most of all, I hope your children develop a healthy relationship with reality - despite you.

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
So, I just went to ESPN.com.  I scrolled through about fifteen headlines on the front page before seeing an image of six naked women with hockey sticks.  It was a fairly wide shot and it didn't show much in the way of "private parts."  To see more, one would have to click on that headline and choose to watch the entire thing.

If one were insulted by it, I would assume that person would choose to scroll right past the "body issue" segment.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Honestly, I photoshopped parts on IT and had a good laugh with my pals over it in a group message. So I'm happy about the whole thing for that reason
The only color that matters is GREEN