Author Topic: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT  (Read 18690 times)

Re: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
It's the human body,  not ****. So you consider 'David' ****?

That's a different topic to a point, but I don't see statues of David on ESPN. This isn't art. It's trying to push extremes and filth. That's what Disney does anymore sadly. The human body should be covered, however at the least I shouldn't have to have that pop up in my face without choosing to go see it.

Just because YOU don't think it's art doesn't mean it isn't. You don't get to decide what's art for everyone else. You don't like it? Don't look and shut the heck up. When you have a problem with Disney then perhaps it's time to look at the root causes of your own squeamishness.

By the way, if you want to see filth I'm sure we can direct you to some more entertaining sites.
Right here is exactly the problem. They don't allow me the choice not to look at it. And to say shut the heck up is exactly what's wrong with things these days. You're all for freedom of expression and choice as long as they agree with you. If not then shut the heck up. People's freedom extends to the point that it takes away others freedoms. You can't choose to force your beliefs on others. I'm not trying to say you can't look at this if you choose to. I'm just saying I shouldn't be forced to. So when I go on a sports page I shouldn't be forced to look at naked butts.

..so is censorship not a form of the exact **** you're trying to accuse people of here? It's one thing to say "it shouldn't be on TV or on the front page of ESPN", it's another to suggest that it's **** and shouldn't exist. Your freedoms do not extend to the point of censoring something just because you don't like it
You clearly didn't read my post. I never once said this shouldn't exist. I said it shouldn't be on the front page where I don't have a choice to see it if I don't click something further. If they want to put a link with a less obscene version of it then great. Then I am not forced to see their butts, and people who choose to can do so.

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
It's the expectation of what you will see somewhere. To make the point here's an extreme example. If I go into a 2nd grade elementary school class I do not expect to see a risque picture of a lady in a swimsuit. Using the argument " well it's the human body, or if you don't like it don't send your kids to school. Stupid argument.

That's not an argument anyone is making. If you want to get anywhere, refute people's actual points instead of this odd and non-existant opinions you seem to be trying to assign people

Literally no one is making you or your children go to ESPN's website, or withholding something like education if you don't

Lol.  A hypothetical in which a man's children will be denied education unless they view images of "naked butts." How are the ideas in this thread even being conjured up?  A-plus content.
Misrepresentation of what I said. It's an analogy. The point being that no one expects to see that in a kids classroom. So to say don't look at ESPN if you don't want to see it isn't a fair argument. No one expects to see a bare arse when they log in to check sports scores and so that's not a fair suggestion. But yes, if it becomes common place to have to look at some man's butt every time I look into ESPN then yes I will no longer log into their site. Considering they need clicks to sell as, you'd think they could avoid losing more customers by not offending a big group of people. Based however on many of these posts, it's not near as big as I'd hoped.

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
It's the expectation of what you will see somewhere. To make the point here's an extreme example. If I go into a 2nd grade elementary school class I do not expect to see a risque picture of a lady in a swimsuit. Using the argument " well it's the human body, or if you don't like it don't send your kids to school. Stupid argument.

That's not an argument anyone is making. If you want to get anywhere, refute people's actual points instead of this odd and non-existant opinions you seem to be trying to assign people

Literally no one is making you or your children go to ESPN's website, or withholding something like education if you don't

Lol.  A hypothetical in which a man's children will be denied education unless they view images of "naked butts." How are the ideas in this thread even being conjured up?  A-plus content.

Exactly. Three pages worth.

Instead of my preferred hoops, all I can think about now is Sir Mix-A-Lot's immortal entreaty to all the world's girls in Baby Got Back.

I paraphrase:

You can do yo sidebends and you can do yo situps but, baby, please don't lose that butt.

And, upon said compliance, even white boys gotta shout. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JphDdGV2TU

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
The Body articles aren't my preferred content, but they don't bother me.

I don't see the human body as gross or perverted, nor do I view it as automatically sexual.  Sex is sexual.  The Body photos tend to be more about musculature (or lack thereof in a few specific cases, like Prince Fielder).  I don't see that as objectionable content.

Your mileage may vary.

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The Body articles aren't my preferred content, but they don't bother me.

I don't see the human body as gross or perverted, nor do I view it as automatically sexual.  Sex is sexual.  The Body photos tend to be more about musculature (or lack thereof in a few specific cases, like Prince Fielder).  I don't see that as objectionable content.

Your mileage may vary.
This is exactly right. I don't see this as art, really. The photography isn't artistic or particularly inspired in any way. But the lack of clothing doesn't automatically make something sexual. These "body issues" seem to be more about showcasing the variety of ways a body can look when its specialized to a certain sport. Which, to me, is a positive thing.

And I'll give someone a TP if they can find a previously existing thread complaining about the SI Swimsuit Issue, which is much more ****ographic in its intent.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Interesting this would come up now, as I just viewed an episode of a classic TV show on this very topic.

I'll give you three guesses where the show's main character, that learned, erudite champion of enlightened thought - Archie Bunker - came out on this issue. The first two don't count.

But I guess this is how we're gonna make America great again, eh? If only people were as interested in my 1st Amendment rights as they are my 2nd.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Its gross and obscene. People want to check sports scores with kids around have to explain things to kids.

What's there to explain?

It's the human body, athletes of all types (even amputees). There is no "nudity" in the sense of genitalia. There are no women's nipples or butt cracks. There is much worse in the SI swimsuit issue with the body paint and sheer/wet tops, yet that issue is often celebrated.

If you're worried your kids wanna rub one out to either magazine, chances are they are already using Jergens for the internet.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Its gross and obscene. People want to check sports scores with kids around have to explain things to kids.

What's there to explain?

It's the human body, athletes of all types (even amputees). There is no "nudity" in the sense of genitalia. There are no women's nipples or butt cracks. There is much worse in the SI swimsuit issue with the body paint and sheer/wet tops, yet that issue is often celebrated.

If you're worried your kids wanna rub one out to either magazine, chances are they are already using Jergens for the internet.
so why are there rated R movies if theres nothing to ever explain

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31

What's there to explain?

TP!!

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2017, 05:54:30 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

Does anyone think this issue (or any issue) is geared/intended for 7-year-olds? A 2nd grade elementary school classroom IS designed for just that, second-graders.

If you take your son into a public restroom and he sees one of those wall dispensers with condoms in it, are you gonna complain?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

What's there to explain?

so why are there rated R movies if theres nothing to ever explain

I never said there's nothing to ever explain. If the Celtics win the championship, are you going to shield your kids eyes from their alcohol consumption in the locker room? I wouldn't want to have the conversation about the reprecusions of severe intoxication in that moment.

And are you comparing the body issue to an R-rated movie? I really don't think all R-rated movies are created equal, but that's another topic. I do recall Titanic getting a PG-13 rating while including a topless Kate Winslett and a sex scene in the back of a car, yet I don't recall much outrage.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2017, 06:04:12 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Interesting this would come up now, as I just viewed an episode of a classic TV show on this very topic.

I'll give you three guesses where the show's main character, that learned, erudite champion of enlightened thought - Archie Bunker - came out on this issue. The first two don't count.

But I guess this is how we're gonna make America great again, eh? If only people were as interested in my 1st Amendment rights as they are my 2nd.

Not sure if you know this, but Archie Bunker was a fictional character?!  ;D They really should do an interview with Homer Simpson to see where he stands on the matter...

And I am definitely interested in both of those rights along with all the others the Constitution affords you. I fully respect you having a different opinion on the issue and am fine with that. If you read the tone of the thread though it appears that many do not have that same respect and don't think I should have the right to believe as I do.

The main thing everyone needs to understand is that my rights END where they interfere with anothers. I have the right to view and act however I want in my own home. I don't however have the right to put up a ten foot TV on the side of my home and play offensive material and then say "Well if you don't like it just don't look". That takes YOUR rights away. This isn't a freedom of speech issue. It's something that many deem offensive and shouldn't be placed in an area that realistically doesn't allow people to avoid it. I wouldn't intentionally put something offensive to you up whether I personally thought it was offensive or not.

Let's be serious though. We no longer live in a country where free speech is really free. It's free speech as long as it doesn't have any possible offensive interpretation by anyone. I'm sure if they put a picture of the bible or the ten commandments in prominent position on the front of ESPN the arguments on here by many would change...

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Does anyone think this issue (or any issue) is geared/intended for 7-year-olds? A 2nd grade elementary school classroom IS designed for just that, second-graders.

If you take your son into a public restroom and he sees one of those wall dispensers with condoms in it, are you gonna complain?

Do you really think that 7 year olds don't pull up ESPN to check out the baseball scores? And ESPN is designed for sports, not nudity... Just like a classroom is designed for children. And as an adult I know there are condom dispensers in bathrooms and can take appropriate measures as needed if I don't want them seeing that. Plus condom dispensers don't have nude pictures on them. If they did then yes I'd complain.

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I sincerely wish I had been shown those dispensers in my youth.  Could've avoided a lot of headaches.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel like this complete nonissue is being made one. I can understand not liking or not caring for the particular content or whatever (I don't really care for it, I just want sports news), but to make such a fuss over it seems immature.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)