Author Topic: Lonzo Ball  (Read 5079 times)

Lonzo Ball
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:07:52 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Didn't see his ""generational talent"(never did), eilite passer and game reader, will immediately passing to who is open or ahead for fast break, and a great rebounder for a PG.
And that's it

His 3 ball is obviously not consistent, and can be a even bigger issue in the NBA
His drive, as expected, almost always kick out, not a good finisher(socrer for that matter, so it won't be like harden ect)

And i am confident this(passing/rebounding) alone won't "elevate his team(mate)" like the media says
Because we already saw it in Rondo(when he lost his driving/finishing ability...no longer allstar level)

The point is if you rely on one guy to pass to 4 others it's easier to read and defend afterall, especially if they can just focus on the others,for sure this one guy will get his assist, and there will be his teammates scoring on open shots, but the offense as a hall isn't going to be good enough.
What defense afraid is for everyone to move the ball, and No, in this game i don't really see Ball's passing being contagious,more than not they rely on him to pass, simply because others didn't have the passing ability like that, and that's the reason we are able to recover from starting collapse to win the game despite Ball played 33min, and we relied on player's peronal perfomance
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:54:22 PM by Redz »

Re: Lonzo ball
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His passing and court vision was amazing.   That shot is hideous.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 07:26:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
His passing and court vision was amazing.   That shot is hideous.
This. TP.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:33:07 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Ball is not even as good as an old man 38 year old Jason Kidd.

Kidd was still a plus defender on wings at that age. Something Ball is nowhere close to being. And Kidd was a more consistent outside shooting.

Similar driving, passing, rebounding capabilities.

Disappointing to see a 19-20 year old guard only as a good a driver as a 38 year old Kidd.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:46:05 AM by Who »

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:35:27 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
He looks good in summer league passing and rebounding. Like you said the shot is hideous. I can't wait to see how this plays out against NBA players and top flight opposing point guards and defenders. It is amazing at how much attention he is getting and more so how much attention daddy is getting. Looks like Lavar is a genius with all this media attention. He has gotten exactly what he wants.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Looks like Lavar is a genius with all this media attention. He has gotten exactly what he wants.
Genius would be to get positive attention . He gets negative attention, embarrassing his kids and riding on his son success . Not a genius in my opinion, just greedy!

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
made some nice passes though a porus awful defense with Celtics playing with tiny Jackson who isn't great to begin with .  With a real guard inside his jersey his vision won't be so wonderful.  And long , quick arms , like Westbrooke, Durrant , Lebron to pick off those lobs and passes inside.  Its not going to look the same .    He is going to turn over the ball alot early on .  Passes that just won't work , because of size and lenght of NBa players.

His shot is totally wrong ...looks like a 8'year olds backyard elbow shot.

Rebounds i pressed me, he has a smarts for where the ball is likey to,come off the rim and able to get there.

He needs lots of shooters around him , like Rondo did .

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Lonzo Ball is good. Youre scared for all defenders as soon as he gets the ball. Your head must be on a swivel guarding against his team.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Looks like Lavar is a genius with all this media attention. He has gotten exactly what he wants.
Genius would be to get positive attention . He gets negative attention, embarrassing his kids and riding on his son success . Not a genius in my opinion, just greedy!

I didn't realize the game was on ESPN LA but that was the first time I heard his father. I was purposely avoiding him from all the stories I hear. His father is flat out awful, he fits a horrible stereotype that quantify all the reasons older friends and family don't like the NBA. The entire country should do Alonzo, the league and African Americans a huge favor and never put a microphone in front of him again!

As far as the kid goes he's got game and his passing is great. IMO passing is the most underrated part of the game. Anyone in the NBA can score on a passing team.   

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'll tell you one thing, he will be a walking double double, and a triple double shortly. His court vision, and passing is impressive. What I like best is his push, push push style of play. Because of his size his rebounding will be good.

His shooting will be streaky in the NBA, and certainly ugly. That shot should have been corrected years ago. He looks to be a right handed shooter who is seriously left eye dominant. A problem that his prevalent in the firearm shooting sport.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
His passing in transition seemed a lot better than his passing in the half court, which I would say is a bit concerning.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
good points above. thanks to you all.

lonzo is a great passer so far in SL. impressive. he does force a number of passes that are deflected, but that may be on his teammates as much as him, and, being in a new system. i am most impressed with his long, up court passes.

rebounding? it is summer league  so hard to say what will happen once he plays with the LA system. but so far so good.

shooting, it has surprised me how bad he has been, but again, it is summer league and he might improve. (it took ojeleye a few games to get going.) however, there is also the danger that when someone such as marucs smart plays inside his jersey, ball might struggle big time. i expect his dad to go off in such instances. ha ha.

again on shooting, watch how he NEVER moves and shoots to his right. you can bet the nba willl force him to the right, over play the left, and also overplay his shot. for me, the jury is definitely out on this part of his game. he also has no real mid-range shot yet.

the major problems i see so far in summer league are:

1. he is not a physical player and shies away from contact. strong players will simply plow through him on offense. strong players will play physical defense until he proves he can handle it. let's also see how he handles hard picks.

2. his defense thus far is laughably bad...but it is summer league.  ;D many times players simply blew by him (brown did this) and lonzo is forced to catch up, which he doesn't do well. forget him playing tough physical defense so far.

ball may yet figure out the problems above and become an all star, filling up highlight reels with great passes and dagger 3 pointers. or he may become a one-trick bust who cant shoot well and plays crappy defense.

it will be interesting to watch his career. rarely do you see a player with such potential to go either way.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
You could see how much better LA's ball movement was than ours when he was on the court. I still think he is going to be a really good player who will elevate his team's play. Disappointed with how little our ball movement is during SL games. Neither Brown nor Tatum are helping in that regard. Trying to do too much with the Ball rather than letting the game come to them.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
He's going to have to prove he's not Rubio. He definitely needs to get stronger and play harder.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
He's as good as advertised in that he can pass well and make plays for his teammates. He seems to be able to make complex plays in transition and knows how to time his pass perfectly.

But yeah, can he score or defend? I'm not sold on it. I think he has a long road ahead of him because I don't see him being able to get into the paint like he did at UCLA, which will limit his effectiveness in the half court. That ugly jumper is going to have to be extremely efficient to allow him to be the best version of himself on offense.

I think he has some potential on defense with his height and length, but it's never been his primary focus and he'll have a harder time staying in front of elite athletic guards, in my opinion. I can't imagine him staying in front of a Wall, Westbrook, or even a Lowry type.