Author Topic: Brown: "I dont want to wait 2-4 years. I think Im ready now (for more minutes)"  (Read 6272 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/07/boston_celtics_jaylen_brown_do.html

"I'm using Summer League to get better, I'm using Summer League to prove a point," Brown told CSNNE's Abby Chin on Thursday.

What point, exactly? Brown hesitated for a second and appeared to choose his words carefully.

"That I want to be someone who can add and contribute, and be a play maker on this team right away," he said. "I don't want to wait two, three, four years down the line. I think I'm ready now, and I'm going to continue to get better to show that I'm better now."

The implication here seems to be that Brown wants more than the 17.2 minutes per game he received last season, and it's certainly possible he gets them.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the implication is that Brown is going to work his ass off to be as good as he can be as soon as he can be. That still might be 3-4 years away, but with his work ethic, I believe he will attain his goals.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Then he needs to step up and be prepared for extra pressure at the 2 now that our veteran player at that position is gone.

His summer league showing the last two games hasn't been appealing, however.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'm fine with this, because he knows he has to earn them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:08:19 AM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He isn't ready, but he's getting better fast.  He recognizes his weaknesses and is working his butt off addressing them. 

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
The problem with CelticBlog always shines in these situations

Same with the Ray Allen situation,

Now Bradley gets traded as a "CELTIC" to the bottom dwellers DETROIT PISTONS, now Bradley will waste his year of possibly his best prime year coming up.

There are no "CELTICS" , Even Paul Pierce could have been traded in 2006-2007 and he would have been ok with it. These are not the 60's , 70's, 80's.

Everyone loves that we have the talent, loves that we got these young guys. The reality is that they are ours until they don't want to be.

Jaylen is not going to wait around behind 3 guys that will shoot all the shots. Luckily Horford doesn't take many.

Once decision time comes, Jaylen will either stay or go appropriate to where he will play.

Im shocked that he said this, but at least he is real with it. It he can't play here he will be outta of here just like that.

This is a business, but at the same time, the Bradley move was a real downer. They traded away the guy GARNETT loved , the guy who is a quiet but very good leader. He didn't gun, he didn't ask for more shots. He played the way he played no matter who came and took all the shots.

I have a feeling this team will hit many moments of tension when shots become very scarce for certain players.

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
He isn't ready, but he's getting better fast.  He recognizes his weaknesses and is working his butt off addressing them.
This is what I like about Jaylen, the ability of self improvement. It's not just about working hard and do what the coach tells you. It's about gaining true insight of what needs to be done, and then act on that. Jaylen will be a very good basketball player.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
If he doesn't learn to dribble, he is going to be Jeff Green.

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I have a feeling this team will hit many moments of tension when shots become very scarce for certain players.

This team has proved that when you are ready you get the role you deserve and the opportunity to show what you can do. If he thinks he will get more shots just because he thinks he deserves it then he is playing for the wrong game team. Thus is not the tanking sixers... This team wants first seed and a trip to the finals

I like his ambition but he has to back it up with actions

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I don't wanna wait, for our lives to be over,
I want to start right now, what will it be?

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Playing with Gordon Hayward is a plus for Jaylen(and Tatum) and should help accelerate their game.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Good, plenty of minutes for you at the 2 this year.  From what I've been reading, though, your SL performances are leaving a lot to be desired.

Fwiw, I still maintain that he's a 3 for now.  I think he's actually a good ball-handler, but odd as it sounds, he's limited off the dribble because his legs are long and his center of gravity is high. That makes it difficult for guys to create in the halfcourt, whereas it's not a problem (and even a strength) in transition and/or as a slasher off the pass from the 3 point line. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:40:25 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
With each passing game, the more it looks like his first game was a fluke and he's regressing to the mean. Meanwhile, Tatum looks ready now lol

Hopefully Brown turns things around by the time the season rolls in.
- LilRip

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Browns enthusiasm  is refreshing.

A wing starting position this year  is his to lose I believe.

Would love to see him take on defensive stopper of wings role this season.

I think his participation in summer league and these outbursts are evidence  of his love for the game.

Brad will manage all of this by reminding Jaylen he has to earn his desired role.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think in these SL games he's pushing himself out of his comfort zone or role from last year. Trying to make more plays with the ball as opposed to off the ball. With mixed results, to be sure.

I think this is a good step for him, and better that he makes mistakes or realizes his limitations now. Once the season starts, he will clearly be a 3rd or 4th option on offense most of the time, because we have other scoring talent, more so now with Hawyard, Tatum and Morris.

tl;dr: I think this will sort itself out and we will see a modestly but not greatly improved Jaylen Brown this year.