Author Topic: Tatum is a stud, we have a 3rd go to scorer + can REBOUND!  (Read 16125 times)

Re: Tatum is a stud, we have a 3rd go to scorer + can REBOUND!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I thought at times Kuzma's length bothered him.  Tatum played within his game and played well though.   Kuzma scored 31, though.  I think Tatum will be the better player but Kuzma was a nice pick for 27 and it kills me to say that because I hate the Lakers.

I think it is ok for Tatum's favorite player to be Kobe, even though I hated Kobe and still hate the Lakers.

I really liked Kuzma. Looked like a man among boys at times but he's also 22.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 11:44:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Love, love Tatum, but pump the brakes on starting right away.  He has A LOT to learn about many aspects of the game other than shooting.

Folks also have such short memories.  He had a mediocre first half highlighted by some bad defense.

He is NOT better than Brown, yet.  ;)
He looks a lot better than Brown to me.  Better shooter, much more refined moves, maybe better rebounding.  He just knows how to play.  Brown is still like a rough draft of what he could become.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »

Offline HostAndGreetYourRoastBeef

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
First post here. Obviously, competition outside of Summer League will be much tougher, but it doesn't change the fact that the ridiculously smooth moves and excellent shot creation will 100% translate to the NBA for Tatum.

He seems like at least an average defender, and I believe he'll be an offensive superstar. Never been this excited about a rookie in any sport (with Hackenberg on my Jets taking a close second).

I'm so glad we didn't trade Tatum and our future for a superstar. He IS a superstar, and we get to keep our future. We don't want to compete for 3-4 years, we want to be a Spurs-like DYNASTY. And Tatum will be an excellent building block. Not as high on Smart/Brown.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
He needs to learn how to pass first. He can't go into a veteran team and fit in when he is a black hole. He has been struggling finding open players against professional AAU teams. It will get worst against organized defense that he has never seen before.
I dunno what you're seeing but he's made the right play attacking or passing out of doubles. The staff is clearly calling his number for him to go to work and he's scoring at will most of the time.
I watched him hold the ball when he got doubled at least 3 times tonight. At the next level those are turnovers that lead to points. He played very good and has looked like a good scorer, but his game has a long way to go before he is considered a third option especially on a team that is suppose to contend.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
What has served Tatum in these games is he has a high basketball IQ. He also played for one of the best coaches in America for his year of college, while Brown played in college for a far lesser coach.

Even when Brown would beat his man, he would run straight into the congestion in the paint without the instinct or vision to find the open man (although many times there were no open men, just teammates standing around watching). Jaylen's handle has definitely improved, and I think the rest of his game will, too. He's just not nearly as polished as Tatum.

I'm excited  about both and can't wait to see them this fall with our veterans.

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 12:15:03 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm sorry did you miss the part where Tatum scored 27 pts and pulled in 11 rebounds while leading the team to a win over the Lakers? 

He clearly outshone Ball.  Only reason Ball's second game stood out because it was a lot better than his horrible first game.

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 12:19:10 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I'm sorry did you miss the part where Tatum scored 27 pts and pulled in 11 rebounds while leading the team to a win over the Lakers? 

He clearly outshone Ball.  Only reason Ball's second game stood out because it was a lot better than his horrible first game.
Yup. Tatum impressed me more too. I also prefer to win games

Anyone notice how the ball triple double was plastered all over espn.com (until the Fultz injury)  but the Celtics win/ Lakers loss wasn't listed  anywhere on the homepage! All about clicks

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 12:21:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What has served Tatum in these games is he has a high basketball IQ. He also played for one of the best coaches in America for his year of college, while Brown played in college for a far lesser coach.

Even when Brown would beat his man, he would run straight into the congestion in the paint without the instinct or vision to find the open man (although many times there were no open men, just teammates standing around watching). Jaylen's handle has definitely improved, and I think the rest of his game will, too. He's just not nearly as polished as Tatum.

I'm excited for the duture with these two but see Tatum as having the higher upside, Kid just has "IT", and that's pretty easy to see. I see many Alk-Star games and All-NBA teams in hus future. Not right away but 4-5 years from now he is going to be an absolute stud.

Brown is going to need to work harder to reach his peak but with his work ethic and athleticism, he could be special. But I think if Tatum works as hard at his game as Brown does, he will be the better player.

If this team can add Ayton at center and Porter at SF while keeping Brown as a SG, its scary how good this Cs team could be come 2023-2024. Also, scary how high their payroll could be to keep them all together.

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 12:30:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
wanted to see Tatum vs Ingram matchup tonight

sux

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 12:32:18 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I'm excited for the duture with these two but see Tatum as having the higher upside, Kid just has "IT", and that's pretty easy to see. I see many Alk-Star games and All-NBA teams in hus future. Not right away but 4-5 years from now he is going to be an absolute stud.

Brown is going to need to work harder to reach his peak but with his work ethic and athleticism, he could be special. But I think if Tatum works as hard at his game as Brown does, he will be the better player.

If this team can add Ayton at center and Porter at SF while keeping Brown as a SG, its scary how good this Cs team could be come 2023-2024. Also, scary how high their payroll could be to keep them all together.
we could bring all the Brooklyn picks off the bench with smart
2018:
IT/(ring chasing vet SG) / Hayward /Morris / Horford
Smart / brown / Tatum / porter / ayton

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 12:35:13 AM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I thought at times Kuzma's length bothered him.  Tatum played within his game and played well though.   Kuzma scored 31, though.  I think Tatum will be the better player but Kuzma was a nice pick for 27 and it kills me to say that because I hate the Lakers.

I think it is ok for Tatum's favorite player to be Kobe, even though I hated Kobe and still hate the Lakers.

On 26(!) shots.

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 12:39:10 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'm excited by Tatum's performance, but for a different reason than others, I think.

It's the summer league. Players are rusty and the competition is obviously weaker. Tatum's gonna score a lot because he'll have better opportunities against these guys than against Kawhi Leonard. He'll rebound better because he's not playing against Andre Drummond.

But the free throw line is the same distance in SL as it is in the regular season, and the guy went 8-8 from the line. I love seeing a young guy who can get the free points in addition to the flashy ones.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 12:46:23 AM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Summer League sure but I'm more interested in the substance of Tatum's performance which clearly, showed a polished scorer. I know we need to pump the brakes but it's an appetising prospect watching him play. IMO, he simply looks better than everyone on the court.

Let's see how he goes further up the totem pole.

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm excited by Tatum's performance, but for a different reason than others, I think.

It's the summer league. Players are rusty and the competition is obviously weaker. Tatum's gonna score a lot because he'll have better opportunities against these guys than against Kawhi Leonard. He'll rebound better because he's not playing against Andre Drummond.

But the free throw line is the same distance in SL as it is in the regular season, and the guy went 8-8 from the line. I love seeing a young guy who can get the free points in addition to the flashy ones.

Mike

Yes. Like Pierce I expect him to use his body to create contact and get to the line. That skill set adds 5-6 ppg to scoring average when you knock down the free throws. Look at IT.

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 12:52:17 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Mike

This is the main reason why I prefered him to Josh Jackson. That and he didn't seem to have an attitude with Boston. Oh, and Tatum's a better scorer and we need scoring. Also, he's not similar to Jaylen Brown.