Author Topic: What would you do? Trade or Pay  (Read 4930 times)

What would you do? Trade or Pay
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'm interested in seeing what people would do?  Do you think we should trade or pay this two players, Smart and Thomas?  Smart is a lot younger, more room to improve, would come a lot cheaper.  Thomas is saying he wants a max deal next year.  Thomas is coming off a hip injury which can really kill a career, would have to see how he comes back. 

So what do you think the Celtics should do?  Do you pay or trade them?  If you trade them, what do you think we could get for them?

Re: What would you do? Trade or Pay
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Pay Thomas. We didn't sign trade away the right to draft Fultz and then sign Hayward just to let our second team PG walk away. Also I don't think Thomas gets a full four year max. Look at Lowry this year, he only got three years. I think Thomas gets 25-max for 3 years which I'm fine with. Smart it depends on what he shows this year. If his shot remains broken I say we move on.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Pay them what they're worth.  I hope they get a lot from us and we start winning more banners !

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Knowing Thomas is wanting a max deal.  If the New York Knicks were to buy out Anthony or trade him for less salary, would they be willing to trade Porzingis?  Personally I would be willing to trade Thomas for Porzingis.  New York would be looking for a new face of the franchise.  Porzingis would give us a younger talent, plus could space the floor and bring defense.  Yes, this mean Smart becomes our starting point guard.  But I'm thinking if we could do this trade, bring in a Derrick Rose so him and Smart could split time, plus Rozier. 

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
IT: let him walk if he wants 4-5 years, pay if 3 years
Smart: pay if price is reasonable, otherwise let him walk

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Thomas is back, Smart is gone pretty much no matter what because every penny of Smart's contract will be adding to the luxury tax bill and there is no way the team is going to do that unless it pulls off a miracle and is somehow a legit contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
both will get paid.

IT, for better or worse, is now the face of the franchise.  he's not going anywhere.

Smart is basically our backup PG and our top defender.  I'm becoming less optimistic his shot will improve much this coming season (I hold out hope that his FT shooting will improve though) but his D and ability to impact a game without scoring is something the team needs.  He'll get paid as well -- probably less than KO money.  We don't really gain anything by letting him go in a trade or not offering him a reasonable deal.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If the Cs were to offer Thomas a 3 year deal, what is the most they could offer him during that span dollar wise?

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Knowing Thomas is wanting a max deal.  If the New York Knicks were to buy out Anthony or trade him for less salary, would they be willing to trade Porzingis?  Personally I would be willing to trade Thomas for Porzingis.  New York would be looking for a new face of the franchise.  Porzingis would give us a younger talent, plus could space the floor and bring defense.  Yes, this mean Smart becomes our starting point guard.  But I'm thinking if we could do this trade, bring in a Derrick Rose so him and Smart could split time, plus Rozier.

If Porzingis for IT was on the table, this deal would already be done. I'm thinking Porzingis for IT and the LAL/Sac pick would also be done if it were offered.

Basically, I don't think a deal of Porzingis for IT is happening.

I think we all need to strap in see what this team gives us the next 3-4 years. We will be very competitive and, while unlikely, could sneak a championship with some injury luck out west. Our young players will then be ready to take the reins (hopefully) and our championship window will be infinite!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
You don't have to trade him if you don't plan on resigning him to the max.  Trading him now makes absolutely no sense (he's injured and we just signed another great player in Hayward - we're not gonna trade our best player for a couple of late firsts), and trading him as a half-season rental at the trade deadline makes even less sense.  We'll keep him for the season and make a decision about how much we're willing to pay him next summer.  For all we know, he could make the decision an easy one by coming back and sucking or coming back and averaging nearly 30 ppg again.

No matter what, though, now is definitely not the time to make that decision.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If the Cs were to offer Thomas a 3 year deal, what is the most they could offer him during that span dollar wise?

Somewhere around $95-$100 million depending on where the cap ends up.  He'll be eligible for 30% of the cap, and 8% raises per year
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It depends.

We are now going to be at the cap. If IT is fully healthy, then you pay him. This will basically guarantee that we are again at the cap, in which case it depends on the Lux Tax that Wyc is willing to pay for a very good team that will likely only get better and, if rumors are to be believed, might be seeing Lebron bolt for LA in the Western Conference, meaning lots of potential finals appearances and the resulting revenue. In that case, because you are capped out anyway, it makes sense to keep a valuable RFA piece like Smart as well.

If IT is not healthy, you could just let him walk, in which case you have a choice; keeping Tatum, Brown, Crowder, Horford, Hayward, BKN #1, etc, but renouncing bird rights for Smart (RFA) and IT (UFA) might get you close to 1 more max salary. Unfortunately, I am glad we got Hayward this year, because the potential Max Free Agent market for 2018 looks good on paper, but not reality.

You have Player Options for Durant, Lebron, Carmelo, Paul George, Westbrook, Aldridge.
Pure UFAs include Boogie Cousins, Favors.

At this point, Aldridge has kind of fallen off a cliff. Durant is staying with GSW. I only see Lebron, Carmelo, George opting out to go to LA or a similar team-up destination, not to join Horford and Hayward in Boston. OKC can offer a lot more to Westbrook than competitors.

So really, if you are trying to carve max cap space, you are putting all your eggs in a boogie cousins basket. Or, using picks in order to trade for a player into the capspace.

So, I think the most likely thing is IT is healthy, great offensive player, you pay him which puts you in the cap, then you take advantage of bird rights, MLE, good draft picks, etc, to stay above the cap and flush out the team.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd pay IT for sure. It'd be ridiculous for us to have come this far with moves (Hayward, Horford etc.) for us to then NOT keep our star guard.

Smart would be a tough one on the other hand. If we can move him and get a decent return, I'd be very tempted, as it seems highly unlikely that we'd be able to keep him in FA.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
About the only way we don't keep IT is if Smart completely blows up this year, and is the version we saw game 3 vs. Cleveland more nights than not.  It's unlikely, but not impossible.  All-Star level Smart makes this a true title contender, and he would be eligible for a lesser version of the max than IT (not likely little enough to be below the tax, but probably below the apron.)

That said, we'll be without one of them next year, but we should keep them both this year, unless one of them is a major piece toward acquiring Anthony Davis.  The team is good enough to have a chance to get past Cleveland -- maybe not be the favorites in the series, but have a real chance.  And then if you get to the Finals, who knows?

But also, due to the fact we're losing one after this year, I don't expect you'll see Jackson cut, as many here would like.  We'll need another PG next year, even to be third in line, and if Jackson can be that guy for the third year minimum, you keep him around this year to give him that chance.  Next year is not a PG heavy draft class, and as we'll be in the tax, cheap depth is important.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I wouldn't do the 5-year max on IT.  Assuming he's healthy, I'd push for 3 years but would accept 4.  Probably not trading him unless he pulls a Paul George and leaks that he's going somewhere else in FA. 

With Smart, I have no idea right now.  I don't know if he'll improve this year, and I don't know what kind of interest he'll attract in FA.  If he doesn't improve offensively then I'm not sure I even want him back.  If he does, some stupid team might overpay him and I'm not willing to match a stupid offer.  I would be open to trading him depending on the return, but he's a pretty necessary piece of our guard rotation at the moment almost by default.