Author Topic: Las Vegas Summer League Thread  (Read 18863 times)

Re: Las Vegas Summer League Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Honesty, Ball is going to be an incredible player.  You can still hate the Lakers and acknowledge that.  Did you say how awful Magic was back in the '80's?

I personally think the rivalry is going to resume sooner than people think, and would not be surprised if Celtics-Lakers meet in the finals within the next 5 years.

LOL Magic joined a team that already had freaking Kareem, Wilkes, Cooper, Norm Nixon, and Spencer Haywood. Lonzo is joining Scrub City.

I see Ball as a very good passer, but his offense seems very limited otherwise and his defense is awful. He could be decent off-the-ball on defense maybe but that's going to take some time in the real league.

I never he said he had no talent at all, but his weaknesses are pretty glaring. I see him as a glorified Rondo/Rubio type..

« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i just saw John Collins highlights (ATL) against the NOP. Wow that kid looks nifty. 6'9 great activity, hands, athleticism , shooting form.
Might be a real steal and a bright spot to a terrible upcoming season in ATL.
But ATL IMHO might be like the first year Celtics rebuild. maybe a bit better.
19th pick looking good
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Oddly enough, I watched the highlights from Ball's big game last night and came away with as many negatives as positives.

I love those outlet passes when he rebounds the ball, and he's very dangerous pushing the ball in transition. 

He's not quite as bad on defense as the noise here would suggest, but he's still below average.  Quick guards will murder him at will, and that's a problem that won't go away.  But he actually looks like a solid off-ball defender with good court awareness and decent length.  I wonder if the Lakers might try to play him at the 2 defensively next to an off-ball guard who can defend the 1. 

I don't like him in the half court, though.  Not particularly quick, low and slow release on the jumpshot.  The Lakers don't space the floor very well - lots of 30-35% shooters, which leads me to believe that a lot of teams will just pack the paint against them until they beat that strategy.  None of this is a new take on Ball, but watching his play last night reinforced the notion. 

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2017, 11:49:31 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Lakers fans be wearing summer league championship shirt I swear

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2017, 02:23:19 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
they're probably hanging up a banner at the staples center next to the Minnesota titles they claim as their own

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2017, 02:32:14 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
So long Celtics summer leagues guys! We hardly knew you. No, I mean it. We hardly knew any of these guys.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Oddly enough, I watched the highlights from Ball's big game last night and came away with as many negatives as positives.

I love those outlet passes when he rebounds the ball, and he's very dangerous pushing the ball in transition. 

He's not quite as bad on defense as the noise here would suggest, but he's still below average.  Quick guards will murder him at will, and that's a problem that won't go away.  But he actually looks like a solid off-ball defender with good court awareness and decent length.  I wonder if the Lakers might try to play him at the 2 defensively next to an off-ball guard who can defend the 1. 

I don't like him in the half court, though.  Not particularly quick, low and slow release on the jumpshot.  The Lakers don't space the floor very well - lots of 30-35% shooters, which leads me to believe that a lot of teams will just pack the paint against them until they beat that strategy.  None of this is a new take on Ball, but watching his play last night reinforced the notion.

I wanted the Celtics to draft this guy.  Put Isaiah off the ball and have Ball set him up.  Oh well.

« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
It's summer league boys and girls. Does anyone remember that SL super star Jahlil Okafur? Let's all wait and see how during the next few years just how good Fultz, Ball, Tatum, and our very own Zizic become.

And more about summer league stars on SoSH:

"don't forget can't miss Superstar Anthony Randolph's world-beating 2009 Summer League, highlighted by his record-tying 42 point night:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2009/07/14/warriors-randolph-scores-42-points-in-summer-league-game/

“I’ll give him two years,” said one NBA Western Conference executive, who said it was team policy not to comment on other teams’ players. “In two years, he’ll be making people say ‘Wow.’ If he’s not an All-Star, people will be asking, ‘How didn’t he make it?’ ”

Randolph has been perhaps the most dominant player in this year’s summer league. He put together his best performance Tuesday as the Warriors defeated the Chicago Bulls 95-83 at UNLV’s Cox Pavilion. Randolph scored 42 points, tying the record for a Las Vegas summer league game. (Marcus Banks and Von Wafer each scored 42 in 2007.) Randolph also had four steals, three blocked shots and no turnovers.​

Another fun fact about that game: the Warriors' skinny rookie combo guard out of Davidson clanged his way to a 3-15 night, and had fans in the Golden State of Mind game thread wishing Jonny Flynn had fallen to them in the draft."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I heard Magic wants to raise a summer league champions banner on opening night

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
It's summer league boys and girls. Does anyone remember that SL super star Jahlil Okafur? Let's all wait and see how during the next few years just how good Fultz, Ball, Tatum, and our very own Zizic become.

And more about summer league stars on SoSH:

"don't forget can't miss Superstar Anthony Randolph's world-beating 2009 Summer League, highlighted by his record-tying 42 point night:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2009/07/14/warriors-randolph-scores-42-points-in-summer-league-game/

“I’ll give him two years,” said one NBA Western Conference executive, who said it was team policy not to comment on other teams’ players. “In two years, he’ll be making people say ‘Wow.’ If he’s not an All-Star, people will be asking, ‘How didn’t he make it?’ ”

Randolph has been perhaps the most dominant player in this year’s summer league. He put together his best performance Tuesday as the Warriors defeated the Chicago Bulls 95-83 at UNLV’s Cox Pavilion. Randolph scored 42 points, tying the record for a Las Vegas summer league game. (Marcus Banks and Von Wafer each scored 42 in 2007.) Randolph also had four steals, three blocked shots and no turnovers.​

Another fun fact about that game: the Warriors' skinny rookie combo guard out of Davidson clanged his way to a 3-15 night, and had fans in the Golden State of Mind game thread wishing Jonny Flynn had fallen to them in the draft."

Classic.  TP.

« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Warriors management is giddy about his defensive intensity and the firmer grasp he has on his emotions.

“He’s slowing down the pace of his game,” said Memphis Grizzlies second-year power forward Darrell Arthur, a fellow Dallas native. “He’s more under control. He has a jumper now. He can handle the ball. He’s better this year than he was last year.”

Randolph’s progress — a product of his steady hard work, according to the Warriors’ staff — is a luxury for Golden State. With Randolph already identified as a core piece of the team, his ability to upgrade his production from last season would solidify a vital position for the Warriors’ offense.

The Warriors need someone who can command a double-team. They need someone who can protect the basket and crash the boards. In addition to that, Randolph — at his best — can create offense off the dribble and go coast to coast. And, as a bonus, he can bring the thunder.

Tuesday, he did just that. In the final seconds of the first quarter, Randolph cut back door and took a pass from Stephen Curry. He had an open lane, but Bulls forward Luke Zeller closed hard. Randolph proceeded to throw down a left-hand dunk through the hard foul of Zeller, drawing a chorus of gasps and cheers from the crowd.

“You can’t teach that,” said Washington Wizards All-Star forward Antawn Jamison, a former Warrior. “Even when I went up against him last year, it wasn’t anything easy. He’s definitely one of those guys who can be at the All-Star level. Once he understands the concepts of the game and gets comfortable in (Coach Don) Nelson’s system, he’s going to be scary.”

« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2017, 05:09:32 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2017, 04:23:28 AM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
As long as we eat more blueberries, we will A-OKAY in the USA.