Author Topic: Las Vegas Summer League Thread  (Read 18855 times)

Re: Las Vegas Summer League Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Watching this Lakers game. Ingram is impressive, but Ball is very unimpressive right now. His shot is crap from NBA range, and his lack of a midrange game is obviously killing him.

I think he'll be fine from three; he's just having a rough night. The mid-range game/late-clock offense is really troubling. He's struggling with the length, athleticism, and speed of Summer League. The NBA is a whole different monster. Although, the spacing and higher quality surrounding talent (maybe not on the Lakers lol) will help him a lot. Remember, a lot of what makes Lonzo special is enhancing his teammates. In Summer League, that's a lot harder to do.

I'm not as sold on his shot as you. He's been all over the place with his shot tonight, and that funky extra movement in his shot will only make him inconsistent.

But you're right about setting up how teammates. I'm just not sure how effective that is in the league anymore. He seems more and more like early Rondo without the defense or finishing ability, along with a much higher willingness to chuck from deep.

Ingram has looked much better, though.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 10:52:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Watching this Lakers game. Ingram is impressive, but Ball is very unimpressive right now. His shot is crap from NBA range, and his lack of a midrange game is obviously killing him.

I think he'll be fine from three; he's just having a rough night. The mid-range game/late-clock offense is really troubling. He's struggling with the length, athleticism, and speed of Summer League. The NBA is a whole different monster. Although, the spacing and higher quality surrounding talent (maybe not on the Lakers lol) will help him a lot. Remember, a lot of what makes Lonzo special is enhancing his teammates. In Summer League, that's a lot harder to do.

I'm not as sold on his shot as you. He's been all over the place with his shot.

But you're right about setting up how teammates. I'm just not sure how effective that is in the league anymore. He seems more and more like early Rondo without the defense or finishing ability, along with a much higher willingness to chuck from deep.

This is part of the reason why Lonzo might not have as great of a chance of traditional superstardom as most top-5 picks. However, he's like the ultimate complimentary player on offense. If you give him decent talent to work with, he'll make it great. If you give him great talent, he'll make it special. All of this is why I think he could've worked on the Celtics. Surrounded by guys like IT and Hayward, he could be special. He's been rough in this game. Unfortunately, this game has highlighted a lot of his most concerning weaknesses, but I'm still high on him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I like Cory Jefferson - playing for the Spurs. Would love to give him a shot as a backup 4 here. Is from Tacoma just like IT and also was last pick in the draft like IT.

6'9" can score and he rebounds pretty well.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I'm not as sold on his shot as you. He's been all over the place with his shot.

This is part of the reason why Lonzo might not have as great of a chance of traditional superstardom as most top-5 picks. However, he's like the ultimate complimentary player on offense. If you give him decent talent to work with, he'll make it great. If you give him great talent, he'll make it special. All of this is why I think he could've worked on the Celtics. Surrounded by guys like IT and Hayward, he could be special. He's been rough in this game. Unfortunately, this game has highlighted a lot of his most concerning weaknesses, but I'm still high on him.

Defense and lack of Hustle seem like the main problems. Lonzo only seems to care about one end of the court.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Man, I'm not sure Ball could look much worse than tonight. Can't hit crap and outside of a few good passes, he's had downright terrible decision-making and shot selection.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Lonzo played a very lazy game tonight. Lazy passes, Lazy defense, lazy shot selection...

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Man, I'm not sure Ball could look much worse than tonight. Can't hit crap and outside of a few good passes, he's had downright terrible decision-making and shot selection.
Lavar ain't going to be talking much after that game.  Really ugly. 

Don't see why Vegas and others think Ball is the favorite for ROY.  He was in a perfect situation at UCLA with 4 good shooters on the court.  He's not going to have that with the Lakers. 

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 11:19:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Phoenix vs Sacramento is almost the regular season teams playing against each other, very exciting..

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 11:21:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Fox has crazy energy...

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Fox looking good. He might be the fastest player in the NBA.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Fox>Lonzo

The Kings and The Suns are both going to be really fun to watch this year....

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Just reached the hotel in New Jersey (vacation trip) and caught last glimpses of the game.

Ball bricked some 3's and what not lol.

Then after the game, ESPN hyping him up to Curry and Ramona "Lakers Lady" Shelbourne says Ball had a fantastic game despite the shooting, which may be fair (like the lob pass to Ingram and assists), but I mean, lets be real, if this is someone else, she would probably label them as a bust already.  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 11:30:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Just reached the hotel in New Jersey (vacation trip) and caught last glimpses of the game.

Ball bricked some 3's and what not lol.

Then after the game, ESPN hyping him up to Curry and Ramona "Lakers Lady" Shelbourne says Ball had a fantastic game despite the shooting, which may be fair (like the lob pass to Ingram and assists), but I mean, lets be real, if this is someone else, she would probably label them as a bust already.  :laugh:

The energy difference between Ball and Fox is night and day...

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
I remain a huge Dragan Bender fan.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 11:32:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE