Author Topic: Jeff Green signs with Cavs, 1 yr $2.3 mill  (Read 7981 times)

Re: Jeff Green signs with Cavs, 1 yr $2.3 mill
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What were the protections for the pick from Memphis when it was acquired?

I think it was 1-10 in 2017, 1-12 in 2018, 1-8 in 2019, 1-6 in 2020, and unprotected in 2021.  But it was also very unlikely to convey in 2017, because Memphis would have had to give up their pick in 2015, which had a sandwich protection of only conveying in the late lottery, and the Grizzlies were solid playoff contenders at the time of the Green trade in 2015.  It was a little more chancy that the pick would convey in 2016 to Denver when it also had a late lottery sandwich protection, leaving us with a 1-12 protection next year, but Memphis snuck into the playoffs despite their injuries.  The pick did convey to Denver (actually Portland since Denver traded it away) this year, as the sandwich protection ended, leaving us with our current protections beginning in 2019.

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

I think it was 1-10 in 2017, 1-12 in 2018, 1-8 in 2019, 1-6 in 2020, and unprotected in 2021.  But it was also very unlikely to convey in 2017, because Memphis would have had to give up their pick in 2015, which had a sandwich protection of only conveying in the late lottery, and the Grizzlies were solid playoff contenders at the time of the Green trade in 2015.  It was a little more chancy that the pick would convey in 2016 to Denver when it also had a late lottery sandwich protection, leaving us with a 1-12 protection next year, but Memphis snuck into the playoffs despite their injuries.  The pick did convey to Denver (actually Portland since Denver traded it away) this year, as the sandwich protection ended, leaving us with our current protections beginning in 2019.

Thanks! I remember it being complicated. Will be hoping they miss the playoffs in 2018-2019 then!

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Thanks! I remember it being complicated. Will be hoping they miss the playoffs in 2018-2019 then!

Think they regret signing Conley to that extension? Looks like we have a reasonable chance of getting a lottery pick from them in the next few years.

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Think they regret signing Conley to that extension? Looks like we have a reasonable chance of getting a lottery pick from them in the next few years.

Yep, it's not impossible they could start a teardown soon, leading to a drawn out rebuild.  If we got an unprotected pick from a lottery team in 2021 for Jeff Green, would people finally let the Perk trade from a decade earlier go?

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I've always said that this pick could end up being gold in a time when we are already contending*. Gasol, Tony Allen or Randolph's age, Conley's and Parsons' huge contracts...it has a very good timing for us, the Grizzlies may be quite bad the next seasons.

*REALLY contending, not like this year when we knew there were two teams close to unbeatable.

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yep, it's not impossible they could start a teardown soon, leading to a drawn out rebuild.  If we got an unprotected pick from a lottery team in 2021 for Jeff Green, would people finally let the Perk trade from a decade earlier go?

That will never be forgotten. We will be sitting on porches telling our grandkids about it.

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 12:49:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cavs bringing Osman over from Turkey.  3 and D wing who was their 2nd round pick in 2015.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

10, 12, 8, 6.. did they roll a d20 to come up with these protections?!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Cavs bringing Osman over from Turkey.  3 and D wing who was their 2nd round pick in 2015.

More of just a D wing at this point eh?

From yahoo sports

Osman averaged 7.4 points and 2.9 rebounds in two seasons for Turkey’s Anadolu Efes since Cleveland acquired his rights in a 2015 draft-night deal for the 31st pick. Per DraftExpress, he is an athletic and heady prospect with defensive potential who lacks strength and shooting touch. So, he’s a project.

"Discussion around James heading West has picked up steam since the end of the 2016-17 season, and the Cavaliers reportedly shopped both Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving in failed attempts to bolster the superstar’s supporting cast, so a blockbuster-less summer is apparently not for a lack of trying. Still, Osman, Calderon and Green aren’t exactly game-changers if LeBron is waffling on leaving Cleveland.

Granted, the Cavs were salary cap- and luxury tax-strapped entering the offseason, but that didn’t stop the Golden State Warriors from adding Nick Young at the MLE and Omri Casspi for the minimum. Nor did it stop the Oklahoma City Thunder from getting a George deal done and bringing in Patrick Patterson for the MLE. Likewise, the Houston Rockets traded for Chris Paul, added P.J. Tucker for the MLE and appear close to a Melo deal, and the Toronto Raptors worked a sign-and-trade for C.J. Miles.

Meanwhile, the Boston Celtics, who lost to the Cavs in five games sans Isaiah Thomas in the Eastern Conference finals, cleared cap space for Gordon Hayward, traded for Marcus Morris, picked up Aron Baynes for the MLE and added No. 3 overall pick Jayson Tatum into the mix. Almost all of Cleveland’s biggest threats got stronger, while the Cavaliers stayed stagnant. That’s a problem for 2017-18."

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

That will never be forgotten. We will be sitting on porches telling our grandkids about it.
I already tell my grandson about it. Nenad Krstić was legendary for us.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I already tell my grandson about it. Nenad Krstić was legendary for us.

everything would have been different if coach put him in...