Author Topic: Jeff Green signs with Cavs, 1 yr $2.3 mill  (Read 8013 times)

Re: Jeff Green signs with Cavs, 1 yr $2.3 mill
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
how far he has fallen. makes me sad to think ainge traded Perk for him in hopes he would turn it around and be a star to help us get past the heat

one of the worst trades , maybe the worst Danny did IMHO .

This trade set up the downfall of Rondo ....kid was never the same.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
how far he has fallen. makes me sad to think ainge traded Perk for him in hopes he would turn it around and be a star to help us get past the heat
I feel like so many things were happening we never really got chance to discuss that trade on here. Did you like it?

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I could not disagree with that more. Perkins would've been crazy expensive to keep and he became a pretty irrelevant NBA player pretty soon after leaving Boston. His post-Boston legacy is mostly just constant conversation where people ask "Why does Scott Brooks still start Perkins when it's clear to everyone he shouldn't?"

Meanwhile, as underwhelming as Jeff Green's time in Boston was, he played well enough to get a first rounder out of Memphis (among other assets) the same year that Perkins was waived by the Jazz.

And I don't see how Kendrick, as much as I love him, would've affected the outcome of any of the Celtics' seasons while Green was here.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Robbery.  He'll be asleep for 60 games.

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 11:32:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
like others said, green was very productive for us, while perk got exposed in OKC for being terible

Perk hasn't played in the NBA in what feels like a decade

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 11:43:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I could not disagree with that more. Perkins would've been crazy expensive to keep and he became a pretty irrelevant NBA player pretty soon after leaving Boston. His post-Boston legacy is mostly just constant conversation where people ask "Why does Scott Brooks still start Perkins when it's clear to everyone he shouldn't?"

Meanwhile, as underwhelming as Jeff Green's time in Boston was, he played well enough to get a first rounder out of Memphis (among other assets) the same year that Perkins was waived by the Jazz.

And I don't see how Kendrick, as much as I love him, would've affected the outcome of any of the Celtics' seasons while Green was here.
I think I would have been happier if we kept Perk for the rest of that season, even if it meant losing him for nothing after the season.  I agree with Shaqattack that the trade had a huge negative effect on Rondo.  I just wanted one more run with that championship starting lineup.  Perk fit perfectly with that lineup, and not so well in OKC, which I believe is why he slid, not because he was on the decline.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2017, 11:45:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I think I would have been happier if we kept Perk for the rest of that season, even if it meant losing him for nothing after the season.  I agree with Shaqattack that the trade had a huge negative effect on Rondo.  I just wanted one more run with that championship starting lineup.  Perk fit perfectly with that lineup, and not so well in OKC, which I believe is why he slid, not because he was on the decline.
green was very important to us in the following seasons when we played small ball and played against the heat. He dropped 40 on the heat while perk made back to back Shaqtin-a-fool

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Green did talk to James who "recruited" him.  James was also actively talking to Crawford before he signed with the Wolves, so those reports of him checking out and not doing anything seem to have been premature. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Green did talk to James who "recruited" him.  James was also actively talking to Crawford before he signed with the Wolves, so those reports of him checking out and not doing anything seem to have been premature.

Lol in what world does jeff green need to be "recruited" do you think James will "recruit" James jones to come back?

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Lol in what world does jeff green need to be "recruited" do you think James will "recruit" James jones to come back?

Hilarious

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

green was very important to us in the following seasons when we played small ball and played against the heat. He dropped 40 on the heat while perk made back to back Shaqtin-a-fool

That was two years later.  The disappointment was that Green's heart condition kept him out the following season, when he would have been very helpful in the strike-shortened season where we advanced to the ECF.  And I highly doubt that trade ever happens to begin with if OKC didn't hide his heart condition.

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I put it in quotes for a reason or did you just ignore those.  The greater point was James was talking to both Green and Crawford.  I mean weren't you the one that posted James failure to talk to free agents was a sign he was leaving and that Cleveland was imploding.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

That was two years later.  The disappointment was that Green's heart condition kept him out the following season, when he would have been very helpful in the strike-shortened season where we advanced to the ECF.  And I highly doubt that trade ever happens to begin with if OKC didn't hide his heart condition.

Danny was trying for Harden.  Think about it! Danny wanted Harden. Then Westbrook.
Imagine if we had pulled that one off. Though who would dribble more, Harden or IT4?

Jeff Green remains a talented player capable of contributing to a Cav team.
Still has all the tools-remember that!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:28:54 PM by ThaPreacher »
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I put it in quotes for a reason or did you just ignore those.  The greater point was James was talking to both Green and Crawford.  I mean weren't you the one that posted James failure to talk to free agents was a sign he was leaving and that Cleveland was imploding.

I am honestly not sure if I posted an article about Lebron not recruiting free agents or not. It was a front page ESPN story so  multiple people probably did. As I have told you a bunch of times I really think you are in denial about the writing on the wall and the issues Cleveland has. Whether or not James made one phone call to sleepy uncle jeff coming off a career worst year in Orlando doesn't really change the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is they are not close to Golden State and other teams like the Rockets and Celtics continue to improve and new young teams start to enter the fray like the timberwolves and 76ers. The Cavs desperately needed to make some solid additions this offseason. There was talk of Butler or George along with Wade and Anthony. The bigger picture is they fired a very good GM when he was on the phone with Chicago trying to get Butler. The bigger picture is that they lost their GM and perhaps a top candidate over a few million or two dollars. At this point I would be absolutely shocked if Lebron is in Cleveland next year.

I am also shocked about how bad their offseason has been (so far, obviously could still change). In year they really needed to try and make a move or two to close the gap with the Warriors they have only gotten further behind. Young and Casspi are completely irrelevant for the Warriors, but combined they are better than Jeff Green.

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
What were the protections for the pick from Memphis when it was acquired?