Author Topic: Nets pick ruined  (Read 7649 times)

Re: Nets pick ruined
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Well he didn't help Detroit win many....   So knowing the worst record only gets you a 25% I think you are OVER Reacting.   
Diggles

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Teams we can essentially rule out as competition for Brooklyn's worst team status:

Boston
Toronto
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Detroit
Washington
Miami
Charlotte
Golden State
LA Clippers
San Antonio
Houston
Memphis
Utah
Oklahoma City
Portland
Denver
Minnesota

Teams that are highly unlikely to be as bad as Brooklyn:

New Orleans
Dallas
Philadelphia

That leaves us with the following teams:

New York - As dysfunctional as they might be, I find it hard to believe that a team with Porzingis and Carmelo are a worse team than Brooklyn.

Indiana - We'll see how the rest of the off-season plays out, but Oladipo and Turner don't seem like the makings of the worst team in the NBA.

Chicago - If they buy out Wade and LaVine isn't healthy, they're a legitimate contender for this spot.

Orlando - I'd definitely put Fournier, Gordon, Vucevic, Isaac ahead of Brooklyn.

Sacramento - Much improved. Some sneaky potential to fail if Randolph loses another step, but I highly doubt they are that awful.

LA Lakers - The Lakers with Lopez and Ball are almost certainly better than the Lakers with Russell, and some growth should be expected from Ingram.

Phoenix - Growth from Booker, Bender and Chriss, along with anything Jackson contributes should lead to a better Suns team, but I wouldn't rule them out.

Overall, I see really only 2 or 3 teams that seem to truly have a great shot at being worse than Brooklyn.
Ummm....ATLANTA!!

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Some of these threads crack me up!! Brooklyn is going to yeild a top ten pick. That in itself is a success.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This whole thread could be copy pasted into Official Nets watch no?

I was kinda proud of getting last years pick watch up to nearly 200 pages
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of these threads crack me up!! Brooklyn is going to yeild a top ten pick. That in itself is a success.

Some people are not happy unless they are complaining.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm not at all concerned. They are still going to suck.

KCP won't move the needle a lot. Good complimentary player, but will he all of a sudden just be an all-star scorer? I doubt it.

D'Angelo Russell? You mean the guy who was SIXTH in Win Shares in LA last year?

Jeremy Lin?

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Losing Lopez' 20+ PPG and 1.7 BPG and inside pressence should cause major problems for the Nets. Yes, Russell and KCP might help their perimeter game both are more volume scorers and average 3 pt shooters. Don't see how this team hasn't regressed. I say 18-20 wins total for Brooklyn and a chance at another top pick for the Cs.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Some people are not happy unless they are complaining.

Something about this time of year makes people dream very, very big ("should we take Doncic or Ayton number 1?" threads...).  People have penciled in the Cs  making the Finals and collecting the #1 and 2 picks next year from the Nets and Lakers.  Which, I mean, I can't even. It'd be incredible - unbelievable - totally unprecedented. But also pretty unlikely. Just consider the lottery odds - we had a 60% chance of missing the #1 pick even when the Nets had the worst record.

Something like pick 5 next year and the Kings' late lottery the year after that sounds about middle of the distribution of likely outcomes.  Not touching the Finals question yet... too early.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:52:19 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This is the first year that I'm actually not super optimistic about the Nets pick. The last two years I expected top 5 picks, with the possibility for top 3.

This year I just don't have a handle on just how bad other teams are going to be. I know the Nets will be bottom ten for sure. I just don't have a good handle on whether it'll be more like 8 or 3.

Losing Lopez definitely hurts them. KCP probably helps a little. Healthy Jeremy Lin would help quite a bit. Overall, they still look like a bottom 5 team, but flukes can happen due to other teams tanking or dealing with injuries.

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I still see Brooklyn as an 18-26 win team, even with their new acquisitions. I think they could well win a couple more games than last season, but nothing significant.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This is the first year that I'm actually not super optimistic about the Nets pick. The last two years I expected top 5 picks, with the possibility for top 3.

This year I just don't have a handle on just how bad other teams are going to be. I know the Nets will be bottom ten for sure. I just don't have a good handle on whether it'll be more like 8 or 3.

Losing Lopez definitely hurts them. KCP probably helps a little. Healthy Jeremy Lin would help quite a bit. Overall, they still look like a bottom 5 team, but flukes can happen due to other teams tanking or dealing with injuries.

Agree with this. It's hard to know what's going to happen to the bad teams out west who are just going to get murdered by the top 6-8 teams. Brooklyn is going to steal some games against weak eastern division opponents that take the night off mentally or, toward the end of the season, are tanking.

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Losing Lopez' 20+ PPG and 1.7 BPG and inside pressence should cause major problems for the Nets. Yes, Russell and KCP might help their perimeter game both are more volume scorers and average 3 pt shooters. Don't see how this team hasn't regressed. I say 18-20 wins total for Brooklyn and a chance at another top pick for the Cs.
They've certainly regressed or at the least, failed to improve.

However, more teams suck more this year. Chicago and Indiana seem worse to me than any other team did heading into last season.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Every summer someone predicts a surprisingly good season that will destroy the pick... I think it was last summer when posters expected the nets to compete for the 8th playoff spot.....

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Agree that some teams tanking may harm our chances with the Nets and Lakers pick. Even so, this thread has no sense. KCP doesn't make you much better, and even so their best position was G or G-F with Lin-DLo-LeVert.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Both nets and Lakers look like bottom 5 teams to me. Nets could frankly be worse than last year. Losing lopez will be a massive blow. He was the only decent player they had.

Lakers, it all depends on ball. If he collapses they could be worse than the nets.