Author Topic: Danny playing poker right now...  (Read 6405 times)

Re: Danny playing poker right now...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why can't Hayward take $300K less?

I don't think the main issue is the $300,000.  The issue is that the Celtics won't have anyone beyond Horford to play the front court.

Right now (assuming Mickey is waived or sent away) our stable of bigs would be Horford, Zizic, Yabusele, Theis, and Okeleye, plus we could sign a vet min player.  And please don't anyone suggest that Crowder can be our PF.

We need to trade for a starting caliber big.  It is going to cost us probably Crowder and a pick to start.  Maybe signing and trading Olynyk is in the mix although I am not sure if we can do that after renouncing him.  Danny is just trying to see where the best deal is and if teams like Bradley or Smart better than Crowder and have a big to offer, so be it.
Preaching to the choir, man.  I will take it a step further and say another big is absolutely essential.  None of the guys I highlighted are good enough, zero NBA experience.  Something must be done, and soon.

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 06:27:22 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I don't think the main issue is the $300,000.  The issue is that the Celtics won't have anyone beyond Horford to play the front court.

Right now (assuming Mickey is waived or sent away) our stable of bigs would be Horford, Zizic, Yabusele, Theis, and Okeleye, plus we could sign a vet min player.  And please don't anyone suggest that Crowder can be our PF.

We need to trade for a starting caliber big.  It is going to cost us probably Crowder and a pick to start.  Maybe signing and trading Olynyk is in the mix although I am not sure if we can do that after renouncing him.  Danny is just trying to see where the best deal is and if teams like Bradley or Smart better than Crowder and have a big to offer, so be it.
Preaching to the choir, man.  I will take it a step further and say another big is absolutely essential.  None of the guys I highlighted are good enough, zero NBA experience.  Something must be done, and soon.
Given the circumstances, I would be OK with Tatum starting at the 4.

SF : Hayward - Brown - Ojeleye
PF : Tatum - Crowder (or vice versa) - Theis
C : Horford - Zizic

Use the room exception to sign a vet PF/C (Marreese Speights/Willie Reed/Ekpe Udoh).

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

This is not true.  We will have the Mid Level Exception which is $8.5M and I believe another one that is in the $5M range.  They can find backup bigs with those amounts.

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Rozier just said on his snap chap "here today gone tomorrow"

Maybe its Rozier, Crowder, and S + T Olynyk for Carmelo?

Maybe he meant those pants.

I think he's selling the couch.

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

This is not true.  We will have the Mid Level Exception which is $8.5M and I believe another one that is in the $5M range.  They can find backup bigs with those amounts.

We will not have the midlevel exception because we will be going under the cap to sign Hayward. We will only have the room exception ($4.328m) and the biannual ($3.29m).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Rozier just said on his snap chap "here today gone tomorrow"

Maybe its Rozier, Crowder, and S + T Olynyk for Carmelo?

Maybe he meant those pants.

I think he's selling the couch.

Does his mom know that he stole her needlepoint doilies and sewed them to his jeans?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Another thing to keep in mind, is we don't necessarily need our complete team by August. Pieces move. In the preseason, everyone is optimistic. Once the season starts, surprises happen, teams underperform, players don't fit, assets get sold. Nurkic, Plumlee, Cousins all moved last year during the season.

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 07:32:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Given the circumstances, I would be OK with Tatum starting at the 4.

SF : Hayward - Brown - Ojeleye
PF : Tatum - Crowder (or vice versa) - Theis
C : Horford - Zizic

Use the room exception to sign a vet PF/C (Marreese Speights/Willie Reed/Ekpe Udoh).
So you are going to count on four guys with zero NBA experience to be part of your frontcourt rotation?  I will bet you that among the four, only Tatum even gets significant minutes this season, much less be part of the rotation.

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I don't believe it's just about 300k.  Danny needs to build a solid bench behind the starting 5.  We're going to need at least a few million more to sign some veteran FA ring chasers.