Author Topic: Danny playing poker right now...  (Read 6435 times)

Danny playing poker right now...
« on: July 06, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
as leverage is not on his side. He is trying to salvage what he can without losing 1 of 3 (Bradley/Crowder/Smart) for nothing.

I think this time GMs call his bluff and this is one where he loses on this trade.

Having said that, I wonder if he is trying to leverage the S&T against NYK? NYK would love any one of the 3 above. Which brings me back to Carmelo...who would require the NYK take back 125% of salary going out. It would seem to be a well aligned situation where we rid enough salary while picking up Carmelo.

I would support:

Avery Bradley ($8.8m) + Jae Crowder ($6.8M) + Kelly Olynyk ($16-18m per S&T)

for

Carmelo Anthony ($29.5m)

Re: Danny playing poker right now...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:00:55 PM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Why can't Hayward take $300K less?

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
Rozier just said on his snap chap "here today gone tomorrow"

Maybe its Rozier, Crowder, and S + T Olynyk for Carmelo?

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Or maybe it isn't.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Danny has the leverage of having three good players that teams want. He will get positive trade assets regardless of what he does

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Or maybe it isn't.

Since it's impossible...

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
We can't do this.

If you do this first, you end up with no cap room left to sign Hayward.
If you sign Hayward first, we don't have any cap room to sign & trade Olynyk for Melo.

Sign and trade with KO, Zeller, Amir is a ship that already sailed.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I don't think the main issue is the $300,000.  The issue is that the Celtics won't have anyone beyond Horford to play the front court.

Right now (assuming Mickey is waived or sent away) our stable of bigs would be Horford, Zizic, Yabusele, Theis, and Okeleye, plus we could sign a vet min player.  And please don't anyone suggest that Crowder can be our PF.

We need to trade for a starting caliber big.  It is going to cost us probably Crowder and a pick to start.  Maybe signing and trading Olynyk is in the mix although I am not sure if we can do that after renouncing him.  Danny is just trying to see where the best deal is and if teams like Bradley or Smart better than Crowder and have a big to offer, so be it.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
We are NOT trading for Carmelo Anthony. That was was a desperation Plan E if we didn't get Hayward, and since we did get Hayward, we have no use or interest in Carmelo. Besides the fact that at this point we'd probably have to send out Al Horford if we wanted to match salaries ...

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
We can't do this.

If you sign Hayward first, we don't have any cap room to sign & trade Olynyk for Melo.

This. TP

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 05:34:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Danny 's Knick target would be Willy Hernangomez, who gets 7 rpg and makes less than Smart so there is your cap room.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2999409/willy-hernangomez\

Even if he does do you think Crowder is going to like losing PT or playing out of position.   I think he won't be able to play sustained minutes at PF.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Maybe he meant those pants.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
We can't do this.

I understand that Zeller and Amir are gone but has the official "renouncement" of Olynyk been executed?  I have not seen an announcement from the Celtics on this (maybe one is out there but I have not seen it).  It is clear that we need to do something with Olynyk before we can sign Hayward but since they have not signed Hayward there would be no reason to renounce Olynyk and take that option off the table.  I guess Olynyk could threaten to accept the qualifying offer just to tweak the Celtics (better for him if he becomes an UFA) but that is really not going to happen.

Clarification, I am not saying this specific to trading for Carmelo, just in general and then perhaps sign and trading with Utah but including Favors somehow (or another team altogether).

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Danny has the leverage of having three good players that teams want. He will get positive trade assets regardless of what he does
Right.  It is false to assume he has no leverage at all.  He doesn't have to unload any particular player of the three to clear enough cap space .  Also, these guys do have value around the league.
Crowder - great contract, decent 3-and-D guy
Smart - Great defender, competent PG, can hit a 3 once in a while.
Bradley - Perhaps best all-around player of the 3
There is further leverage if he gets more than one team to be interested in any particular player, which is not unlikely.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 05:44:58 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
We can't do this.

I understand that Zeller and Amir are gone but has the official "renouncement" of Olynyk been executed?  I have not seen an announcement from the Celtics on this (maybe one is out there but I have not seen it).  It is clear that we need to do something with Olynyk before we can sign Hayward but since they have not signed Hayward there would be no reason to renounce Olynyk and take that option off the table.  I guess Olynyk could threaten to accept the qualifying offer just to tweak the Celtics (better for him if he becomes an UFA) but that is really not going to happen.

It doesn't matter. You'd have to renounce Olynyk first to sign Hayward with cap space. If you sign KO and trade him for Melo, then we have to come up with $24M in salaries to trade for Hayward. No matter how you slice it, it forces us to trade a bunch of guys we don't want to trade just to add Melo to the mix.