Author Topic: Trade Smart and Picks for Porzingis  (Read 4650 times)

Trade Smart and Picks for Porzingis
« on: July 06, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Here's a trade idea that might have a chance and that would allow us to keep Crowder.

Boston gets Porzingis and Plumlee
NY gets Smart and the Lakers/Sacramento pick and the Celtics 1st round pick

If there was no other choice I'd swap out the Lakers/Sacramento pick for the Nets pick, however I'd prefer to keep it as is.

Boston does this because it takes care of the Salary issue surrounding Haywards signing. It gives them a legitimate young big going forward. Right now paired with Horford we are tough down there. In the future he and Tatum can be even better. It also clears up some guard space plus allows Crowder to come off the bench and lead that 2nd unit.

NY does this because it gets rid of a disgruntled player they've indicated they might be willing to move. It gives them two first round draft picks plus a young defensive stopper with upside.

Don't think I do this if we have to give up both Nets and Lakers pick.

Re: Trade Smart and Picks for Porzingis
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Here's a trade idea that might have a chance and that would allow us to keep Crowder.

If there was no other choice I'd swap out the Lakers/Sacramento pick for the Nets pick, however I'd prefer to keep it as is.

Boston does this because it takes care of the Salary issue surrounding Haywards signing. It gives them a legitimate young big going forward. Right now paired with Horford we are tough down there. In the future he and Tatum can be even better. It also clears up some guard space plus allows Crowder to come off the bench and lead that 2nd unit.

NY does this because it gets rid of a disgruntled player they've indicated they might be willing to move. It gives them two first round draft picks plus a young defensive stopper with upside.

If the NY did that trade who ever was in charge of making that decision would be fired.  You don't get Porzingis without both the Brooklyn pick and the pick from Philly Plus you'd have to send two of the following players. Smart, Crowder, Bradley or Brown.  Porzingis is a legit franchise player.  He's 7ft and can stroke the three ball.  If that's all it would take to land Porzingis I'm sure that there at 15 other teams that can come up with a similar or better package.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I also think that we would have to throw in both Crowder and Smart and good picks to make New York even consider a Porzingis trade, but I also think that if that can fix the Hayward-trade then I would be willing to do it, even though we should give up both the Nets or Lakers picks, and several other lower picks. If we had to give up both the Lakers Pick and the Nets pick I would be a bit more sceptical but probably still do it.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't get the over the top love for Porzingis. He's not an elite shooter, that's a myth perpetuated by infatuated board members.

He's done nothing to show he's some sort of elite franchise player. He's a nice player who's 7'3, yet is still only an average rebounder. If we could get him at a reasonable cost, great. But both our high picks and a player? No way. Most guys his size spend their career struggling with feet or knee issues.

I like our chances of hitting on one our high picks a lot better than I do the odds of him staying healthy over the long-term.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would rather keep Smart than Crowder.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Knicks fired Phil Jackson for suggesting Porzingis was available.

So...no way he is.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I don't get the over the top love for Porzingis. He's not an elite shooter, that's a myth perpetuated by infatuated board members.

He's done nothing to show he's some sort of elite franchise player. He's a nice player who's 7'3, yet is still only an average rebounder. If we could get him at a reasonable cost, great. But both our high picks and a player? No way. Most guys his size spend their career struggling with feet or knee issues.

I like our chances of hitting on one our high picks a lot better than I do the odds of him staying healthy over the long-term.

He's not that great, which is why PJax wanted to move him before he gets maxed out and ties up the Knicks cap money for years on end while leading them nowhere.. Terrible rebounder for his size, soft euro. Defense is marginal to poor.

He can shoot and he plays for the abysmal Knicks in a media town that considers itself the center of the universe, so he gets an inordinate amount of coverage. If he played for Denver or the Kings, you would have never heard of him..

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I agree with a couple of posters on here that Porzingis is a very good post player, not elite. I think for our system he would fit nicely, however don't think he would be the best on the team. This is why I would be hesitant to give up too much for him. If NY doesn't want to take it then you move on. Crowder S&T to Utah isn't a terrible option. I just like Crowder more than I like Smart who I believe is pretty close to his ceiling.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
How does this create cap room? Porzingis makes the same amount as Smart and then you're adding Plumlee. We'd have to work in Rozier or something else from our roster to actually shed salary.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You're right that he isn't an elite shooter but at 21, I would expect him to become a very good shooter in time. His 3Pt% and TS% were about perfectly on average with league numbers.

Regarding his rebounding, he is a very good defensive rebounder and poor offensive rebounder. I would attribute his poor offensive rebounding to playing on the perimeter in the Knicks offense.

His defense needs work but he can defend on the perimeter and close out fairly well and picks up 2 blocks a game.

I think his potential to develop further is tremendous. That said, given what Cousins, George, Butler and CP3 went for, I don't see a need to trade much more than Smart and the Brooklyn pick for him.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm a big fan of Porzinigis and I believe we at least should try and make some kind of a move for him, and I'm sure Ainge has already done that.

I think he is overrated and at the same time I think he is injury prone, but even taking those to things into account I believe he still might be the last piece in our proces of building a championship team, especially because of his contract.

The thing is, that we need a big man and New York need guards and wings who can play defence. It should be ideal, as the teams got what the other team needs, but I'm not sure we can make it happen!

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the OP vastly over rates Smart's trade value.   The Knicks are building around the Zinger. 

I think this guy would be Ainge 's target in the Smart deal:

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2999409/willy-hernangomez

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 05:37:14 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

If the NY did that trade who ever was in charge of making that decision would be fired.  You don't get Porzingis without both the Brooklyn pick and the pick from Philly Plus you'd have to send two of the following players. Smart, Crowder, Bradley or Brown.  Porzingis is a legit franchise player.  He's 7ft and can stroke the three ball.  If that's all it would take to land Porzingis I'm sure that there at 15 other teams that can come up with a similar or better package.

If this was Columbia he would be shot!

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
How does this create cap room? Porzingis makes the same amount as Smart and then you're adding Plumlee. We'd have to work in Rozier or something else from our roster to actually shed salary.

This would be coupled with other trades like Rozier in order to shed the extra salary. Yes you're right. This just allows us to get rid of Smart instead of Crowder, and pick up the next player that should push us over the top in the East.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 05:42:13 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I think the OP vastly over rates Smart's trade value.   The Knicks are building around the Zinger. 

I think this guy would be Ainge 's target in the Smart deal:

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2999409/willy-hernangomez

Not saying that Smart = Porzingis in NY's eyes. If NY is thinking that Porzingis is unhappy and not their future cornerstone then this allows them to pick up a couple first rounders and a very good young player. The picks give them hope, however I think they'd likely want the Lakers, Nets, AND Celtics picks. Wouldn't do that deal.