Author Topic: Proposal: extensive trade with Utah (S&T Hayward)  (Read 2498 times)

Proposal: extensive trade with Utah (S&T Hayward)
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Apparently the Celtics and the Jazz are discussing a sign and trade for Hayward. There are rumours that Crowder would be involved, which would be an ideal replacement for them. There are actually even more ways the two teams can help each other.

Boston need a big man who can rebound and bang inside to do the dirty job for Horford. Favors is exactly that guy. He can fill in that position for now, since Zizic doesn't seem ready yet. For Utah he's not a great fit next to Gobert, but they just traded Lyles. Olynyk can be a solution for them as a stretch big. We still have his bird rights and wouldn't Olynyk prefer Utah over Indiana?

I'm pretty sure that Boston will resign Thomas next year for a (close to) max contract, which means Bradley is probably gone. Just too expensive to keep them all. Because we give Utah Crowder I believe we have leverage here to try and get Hood. Bradley adds to the defensive style of Utah, while with Hood we get a cheaper and younger SG that adds shooting and size for our back court.

Trade:

To Boston: Hayward (S&T), Hood, Favors
To Utah: Crowder, Bradley, Olynyk (S&T)

That leaves the following rotations, which would seem satisfactory to both parties.

Boston Celtics:

PG: Thomas, Rozier
SG: Smart, Hood
SF: Hayward, Brown
PF: Favors, Tatum
C: Horford, Zizic, Theis

Utah Jazz:

PG: Rubio, Exum
SG: Bradley, Mitchell, Burks
SF: Crowder, Ingles
PF: Johnson, Diaw
C: Gobert, Olynyk

Re: Proposal: extensive trade with Utah (S&T Hayward)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 07:58:02 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I consider Hood their 3rd best player, so I don't see them moving him. I'm pretty sure they are going to try to morph Hood into a pseudo Hayward role, and have similar offensive sets.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Holy Green tinted trade, Batman!

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Not sure about including AB + Hood, but overall Olynyk + Crowder for Hayward + Favors seems workable, with Hayward signed for $30m and Olynyk signed for at least ~$16m. The relevant calculation is:
(Crowder + Olynyk) * 1.75 >= Hayward + Favors.
Derrick Favors is really good - he had an injury-related down year last year, but he'd be a great addition for the C's. It's a great deal for the Jazz, since Crowder is an A+ asset and Olynyk is a nice fit next to Gobert.

The main problem with this deal is what happens next summer. Is ownership going to pay up to resign all 4 of IT, AB, MS and Favors? If so, we'll be looking at a LT bill in the $100m range, and a big time repeater tax in a few years too. It's possible that ownership simply views this as a good investment - look at what happened to GSW's valuation the last few years. But it would be unprecedented.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Holy Green tinted trade, Batman!

Depends how you feel about Favors and Hood - both expiring contracts. Hayward is coming here, regardless, so the deal is really just Crowder, AB, and Olynyk(s&at) for Favors and Hood. Seems about fair, but don't know that I would want to do it honestly.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Is Joel Bolomboy the throw in?

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I like the idea of getting Exum.  Exum was the guy I was hoping would slip to us at 6 when we ended up with Smart.  I was hoping for Exum, Gordon, Smart in that order.

It’s still unclear what the Celtics would get in return for Crowder. Some speculate that it might be Dante Exum or Rodney Hood or that the deal could expand into something larger involving Derrick Favors, who’s in the final year of his deal at $12M. Crowder is making ~$7M, so Boston would need more to match salaries.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/7/6/15930096/trade-rumor-per-mark-murphy-gordon-hayward-jae-crowder-sign-and-trade-close-dante-exum-rodney-hood
NBA Trade rumor: Per Mark Murphy, Gordon Hayward-Jae Crowder sign-and-trade “close”
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:05:09 PM by OldSchoolDude »