Author Topic: UH-OH. Smart Being Shopped?  (Read 19555 times)

Re: UH-OH. Smart Being Shopped?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Crowder makes the most sense...I get the no position NBA thing but having 4 natural SF on the roster all capable/borderline starters makes no sense.

Yeah, it has to be one of AB or Jae in my opinion. Moving either one, or both, of them would open up the requisite minutes for us at the 2, 3, and 4. There's simply not enough room at those positions for all five of AB, Jae, Hayward, Brown, and Tatum.

I still think something like Crowder and AB for Favors wouod be a good deal for both sides, but not sure that Utah will trade with us now.

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wait. How is it possible Smart is being shopped? I mean....his defense. Just look at it. And defense wins in the NBA

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 10:00:18 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Like I said Brown will be taking minutes away from Smart this year. Brown can play the 2-3 and now we will not have to play Smart at the 3 anymore....especially with Tatum

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think Smart is only being mentioned is probably due to Danny want to run this starting lineup

IT/Bradley/Hayward/Al

which Bradley can provide 3 and D, and probably as a 4th option, capable scorer, which Smart probably cannot provide at this point.

I still very much prefer trading Bradley or Crowder over Smart. Smart just has that mental toughness and grit and intensity. It's gonna suck seeing Smart go :(

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 10:10:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart has to go now because he is the least important in all ways between IT, Bradley, Smart, and Crowder. Crowder is an excellent addition to the bench that can play 3 or 4, like Tatum. Crowder will be ahead in the rotation before Tatum until Tatum he proves he can displace Crowder. When he does, Crowder is an excellent trade chip.

And, when the season is over, if Brown has made a major leap, which he should, Bradley can be let go to save money on luxury tax while Brown takes his place in the starting lineup.

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I really hope Smart doesn't go. He was our only other capable ball handler to give rest to IT. Adding Hayward only to lose Smart would be disappointing. Jae Crowder is the one who goes. I could see Doc Rivers using a player like Crowder well.

Something tells me we look at the Hawks as a trade partner. We could offer them Crowder for Belinelli plus future 1st round pick for example (Hawks could use a SF/PF given recent loss of Millsap). I think we are underwhelmed wth the return in the forthcoming trade.

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Smart has to go now because he is the least important in all ways between IT, Bradley, Smart, and Crowder. Crowder is an excellent addition to the bench that can play 3 or 4, like Tatum. Crowder will be ahead in the rotation before Tatum until Tatum he proves he can displace Crowder. When he does, Crowder is an excellent trade chip.

And, when the season is over, if Brown has made a major leap, which he should, Bradley can be let go to save money on luxury tax while Brown takes his place in the starting lineup.

Im fine with Smart being traded if:

1) we could find a good backup PG. Rozier isnt cutting it.
2) Crowder wouldnt hamper growth of Tatum and Brown.
3) Crowder wouldnt throw tantrums about us signing Hayward, seeing as how he reacted last year, its got me worried a bit.

My mind still says AB is the one, he is due for a bigger payday than Smart, has injury concerns, and can only play the 2.

Hey, dont get me wrong, I love AB and I will be happy if he stays, i have liked him even when half this blog was labeling him as a bust. I just think this is the most logical choice.

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Unlike Danny to let AB just walk. AB is still an asset that has value if they have no plans to keep him you would think they would explore trades.

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2017, 10:27:07 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I'm not sure I trust it4 can play 82 games. I'd keep Marcus as insurance.  I don't think Rozier can run a team.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: UH OH. Smart Being Shopped?
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The only way of giving Hayward the max is moving smart. The other option was moving rozier but that comes up $1 mill short.

There are other options. DA is now gauging value of the existing players. No surprise here. But, like others, I'd prefer to move AB than Smart.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
DA will trade whoever gives us the best return relative to their value.

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
doesn't it seem silly to have to lose one of these guys just to pay GH the full max and not 1 million less than the full max ???
  i mean if the contract is for i don't even know but like 120 million, is making it 119 million instead really that insulting?
  wouldn't possibly GH be open to taking 1 mil less to preserve the competitive-ness of the team he's joining?
Good point. But that's only the one year picture.
AB and IT are on the last year of their contracts. Smart is at the end of his rookie contract (ie would get QO next year). We cannot keep all three long term. We need to pick our #1 and #2 options and trade the third.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Honest truth is we might see multiple trades. Maybe one to get us enough cap space to sign Hayward and then another to maybe balance out the roster.

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2017, 10:45:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Hayward signing, in a way, is bigger because it breaks up the core for 2018/19. I am not Saltlover, but, the most basic math changes this team completely in 2018.

Hayward 32
Horford  30
Brown/Tatum/Zizic/Nadir 10
BRKN 18  4

If Ainge pays Thomas 30

You have about $2650 to pay the other 9 guys...

My guess is this projected 2018/19 squad doesn't merit the luxury tax.

Thus, if Thomas gets paid EVERYBODY goes and I just don't see it.

Make the trade now and play out this season, but, none of the backcourt is safe. Bradley and Horford were the Celtics two best players throughout the playoffs, by far, watch the tape. They both played like they belonged there which isn't surprising because they are both veteran post season players.

Still don't see Bradley getting $20M on this team.

Finally, the only player with value is Jae. Bradley, Smart and Thomas are all liabilities in the market through their high cost in '18. Look at the so called "haul" Pacers got for PG.

It's got an odd feel as Brown/Tatum are still very young, but Hayward + Horford shrinks down the remaining money.  Danny has a plan, some great players and an outstanding coach. This year's roster looks like it will put a good beating on everyone except Cavs/GSW and that ain't bad.

Marcus Smart is as good as gone if/, Celtics called 5 teams about Smart
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
If the Celtics WANT to keep Bradley , then Marcus is gone.

Crowder is on a very good contract. No point in trading him on his long term deal. The guy is here to stay unless a crazy good trade comes our way.

If the Celtics love Bradley they will keep him, which makes Marcus target number one.

Marcus will finally get paid next year. Whatever that is I doubt the Celtics keep him just to pay him when they got a stacked team

As I mention this I see rumors of the Celtics already talking to 5 teams and dangling smart.

Not shocked by the number of teams as Smart can make a big contribution of the bench to a team that is building or teams that are trying to win
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:06:51 PM by celtics2030 »