Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 3112 times)

Cord Cutting
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So I live in a mid-rise that has an exclusive contract with RCN.  The past year or so, my cable bill has been slowly rising. The months when I have League Pass, it's pretty insane.  The past couple of months I've been looking into cord cutting with the intention of doing it once the Finals & Draft are over.  And, no, I don't have any premium movie channels.

Been shopping around & its a lot of information overload with all the hardware available then all the different apps/services out there. 

Anybody cut the cord?  Happy?  What did you end up going with from both a hardware and services standpoint?  Noticeable difference in cost savings?

Few things;

- Have an Amazon Prime Subscription

- Have a Netflix subscription

- Don't really watch much in terms of tv shows 

- Live sports are a big for me still

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Cord Cutting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We cut the cord about 2 years ago. Been pretty happy with it. Unfortunately the worst thing has been trying to watch live NBA/college games - we use a Roku stick with Sling TV for that, and the streaming can be a little spotty sometimes. League Pass has been a mess at times too, especially early this season, but it got better as it went on.

We use the Roku stick for streaming like Netflix, Amazon, Sling etc, then got a digital antenna to pick up the networks.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'm interested in this as well.   I have Apple TV, Net flicks and Amazon Prime and the Amazon Fire stick with Cody.   But I like sporting events and ESPN.... What to do? 
Diggles

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
We did something similar to fairweatherfan about a year ago.  We cancelled cable, got a decent digital antenna, a roku 3 (best at the time) and a netflix subscription.  Sling is kind of spotty.  It seems like when something major comes on sports or season ending episode they can have problems handling the traffic.  But sling is overall pretty decent, the digital antenna works pretty well to bring in a lot of channels here in so cal.  I get the sports package and have been able to watch a lot of big 12 / Iowa State basketball due to all the espn extra channels.

I think when we factored in everything we ended up saving about $50-55 a month over our basic cable.  We kept our internet service through Time Warner.  We do tend to watch less of the traditional cable tv channels and more youtube and special stuff off of sling.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
We cut the cord about 2 years ago. Been pretty happy with it. Unfortunately the worst thing has been trying to watch live NBA/college games - we use a Roku stick with Sling TV for that, and the streaming can be a little spotty sometimes. League Pass has been a mess at times too, especially early this season, but it got better as it went on.

We use the Roku stick for streaming like Netflix, Amazon, Sling etc, then got a digital antenna to pick up the networks.

What speed are you streaming with? I remember LarBrd33 swore by Roku streaming league pass.

For the last several years I've had NBALP through Verizon Fios, so I haven't needed to stream games online. However, sometimes during away games I'd get on NBALP through my PS3, and even at 50 Mbps it would still be a bit jumpy. I figured the same would be true with the Roku, too.

I'd also recommend Hulu for the OP. It's cheap at like $12 a month for the no commercials format, and it seemingly has a bunch of stuff that Netflix is getting rid of. Lots of comedy series (especially from Comedy Central), and it even has some older stuff, like all of the Star Trek series.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

You can also get an antenna with be TV Romio, that allows you to have a great DVR for the channels you do receive