Author Topic: C's have one more year of cap space for a max player  (Read 4862 times)

Re: C's have one more year of cap space for a max player
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I know some people have been saying we have to spend and get a player in here or we lose cap space for a max player. Well this isn't so. Next year players under contract currently would equal under 60 million and only three guys on roster are coming up that may need there resigning. Their cap holds are

IT=9.4 million, Smart= 11 million, AB= 13 million

If cap is 101 million and teams under contract players equal 60 million you can clearly see there is another year of trying by renouncing one of the three (AB) and putting out the QO for Smart there is plenty of cap space. Now can we drop this excuse for having to spend this year if team doesn't get Hayward.

You're off on these cap holds.  Smart's cap hold is $13.5 million.  IT is $11.9 million.  AB is $13.2 million (you were close on that one).  I assume you're counting next year's first in this total, and dropping Mickey and Jackson to get to this total to get to $60 million, which is about right.  That gets you to seven players. However, you also have to account for roster holds for not having enough player under contract or as cap holds..  If you let AB and Smart walk, and keep Yabusele and our own pick overseas, and we don't get the Lakers pick, that leaves us with 8 players:

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

That means we have an $11.9 million cap hold for IT and a $3.4 million cap hold for the four roster spots we're short, or $15.3 million in cap holds.  If you add that to $60 million, we're now up over $75 million, still $3 million short of a max.  The only way we could get the extra $30.6 million would be to trade one of Horford, Brown, Tatum, and Crowder.  Could we do it?  Sure.  Would it be a less attractive roster for a free agent to join than this year's? Yes.

I doubt Jae Crowder is the deal break for any free agent especially with Brown and Tatum continuing to improve. (Hopefully)

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I know some people have been saying we have to spend and get a player in here or we lose cap space for a max player. Well this isn't so. Next year players under contract currently would equal under 60 million and only three guys on roster are coming up that may need there resigning. Their cap holds are

If cap is 101 million and teams under contract players equal 60 million you can clearly see there is another year of trying by renouncing one of the three (AB) and putting out the QO for Smart there is plenty of cap space. Now can we drop this excuse for having to spend this year if team doesn't get Hayward.

You're off on these cap holds.  Smart's cap hold is $13.5 million.  IT is $11.9 million.  AB is $13.2 million (you were close on that one).  I assume you're counting next year's first in this total, and dropping Mickey and Jackson to get to this total to get to $60 million, which is about right.  That gets you to seven players. However, you also have to account for roster holds for not having enough player under contract or as cap holds..  If you let AB and Smart walk, and keep Yabusele and our own pick overseas, and we don't get the Lakers pick, that leaves us with 8 players:

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

That means we have an $11.9 million cap hold for IT and a $3.4 million cap hold for the four roster spots we're short, or $15.3 million in cap holds.  If you add that to $60 million, we're now up over $75 million, still $3 million short of a max.  The only way we could get the extra $30.6 million would be to trade one of Horford, Brown, Tatum, and Crowder.  Could we do it?  Sure.  Would it be a less attractive roster for a free agent to join than this year's? Yes.

Why is trading Horford less attractive next year than trading someone like Bradley this year to make room for Hayward? Don't we have to trade out someone this year to make room for a full max to Hayward?

Not to mention that next year's roster will have either another high pick playing, or a blockbuster addition to the roster.

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Thanks, saltlover.  I never knew how cap holds are calculated.  Understanding the new CBA makes it even more complicated.

Yeah, there are a lot of rules for cap holds. I have them mostly remembered at this point, so I can mentally tell when spotrac is wrong. (It happens a lot more than people realize -- I once was going through their info to see how many errors I could find, alphabetically by team, but got frustrated and quit when I already counted over 15 errors by the time I finished Brooklyn.  If I had the time and web design acumen, I'd make my own spotrac.)

Just curious, SL, what do you do for a living?

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

I doubt Jae Crowder is the deal break for any free agent especially with Brown and Tatum continuing to improve. (Hopefully)

No, but losing all three of Crowder, AB, and Smart likely is.  I'm excited for Tatum, but he's not going to be a free agent draw after his rookie year unless he's a borderline all-star.  Max free agents who are signing their third contract aren't really interested in your rookies -- at least not the Tier A class of free agent that we theoretically want.  And all this assumes that the Celtics are going to in fact just sit on their tails if Hayward walks and not take on any more long-term money this offseason, which is a pretty aggressive assumption.

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Thanks, saltlover.  I never knew how cap holds are calculated.  Understanding the new CBA makes it even more complicated.

Yeah, there are a lot of rules for cap holds. I have them mostly remembered at this point, so I can mentally tell when spotrac is wrong. (It happens a lot more than people realize -- I once was going through their info to see how many errors I could find, alphabetically by team, but got frustrated and quit when I already counted over 15 errors by the time I finished Brooklyn.  If I had the time and web design acumen, I'd make my own spotrac.)

Just curious, SL, what do you do for a living?

Economic analysis for mergers and acquisitions, and some regulatory issues.