Author Topic: C's have one more year of cap space for a max player  (Read 4859 times)

C's have one more year of cap space for a max player
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:05:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I know some people have been saying we have to spend and get a player in here or we lose cap space for a max player. Well this isn't so. Next year players under contract currently would equal under 60 million and only three guys on roster are coming up that may need there resigning. Their cap holds are

IT=9.4 million, Smart= 11 million, AB= 13 million

If cap is 101 million and teams under contract players equal 60 million you can clearly see there is another year of trying by renouncing one of the three (AB) and putting out the QO for Smart there is plenty of cap space. Now can we drop this excuse for having to spend this year if team doesn't get Hayward.

Re: C's have one more year of cap space for a max player
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:23:14 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I know some people have been saying we have to spend and get a player in here or we lose cap space for a max player. Well this isn't so. Next year players under contract currently would equal under 60 million and only three guys on roster are coming up that may need there resigning. Their cap holds are

If cap is 101 million and teams under contract players equal 60 million you can clearly see there is another year of trying by renouncing one of the three (AB) and putting out the QO for Smart there is plenty of cap space. Now can we drop this excuse for having to spend this year if team doesn't get Hayward.
There could also be 2 top 5 picks with cap holds totaling about $10m. Plus the cap holds for Yab, our 2018 pick and any min slots. Also depends on whether we bring back KO this year, which I imagine we would unless we do get Hayward.

Basically, this will be the last year of max cap space, not that it's a big deal

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

There could also be 2 top 5 picks with cap holds totaling about $10m. Plus the cap holds for Yab, our 2018 pick and any min slots. Also depends on whether we bring back KO this year, which I imagine we would unless we do get Hayward.

Basically, this will be the last year of max cap space, not that it's a big deal
I added Yab and the rest but one top pick. There is room.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:53:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You're off on these cap holds.  Smart's cap hold is $13.5 million.  IT is $11.9 million.  AB is $13.2 million (you were close on that one).  I assume you're counting next year's first in this total, and dropping Mickey and Jackson to get to this total to get to $60 million, which is about right.  That gets you to seven players. However, you also have to account for roster holds for not having enough player under contract or as cap holds..  If you let AB and Smart walk, and keep Yabusele and our own pick overseas, and we don't get the Lakers pick, that leaves us with 8 players:

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

That means we have an $11.9 million cap hold for IT and a $3.4 million cap hold for the four roster spots we're short, or $15.3 million in cap holds.  If you add that to $60 million, we're now up over $75 million, still $3 million short of a max.  The only way we could get the extra $30.6 million would be to trade one of Horford, Brown, Tatum, and Crowder.  Could we do it?  Sure.  Would it be a less attractive roster for a free agent to join than this year's? Yes.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

You're off on these cap holds.  Smart's cap hold is $13.5 million.  IT is $11.9 million.  AB is $13.2 million (you were close on that one).  I assume you're counting next year's first in this total, and dropping Mickey and Jackson to get to this total to get to $60 million, which is about right.  That gets you to seven players. However, you also have to account for roster holds for not having enough player under contract or as cap holds..  If you let AB and Smart walk, and keep Yabusele and our own pick overseas, and we don't get the Lakers pick, that leaves us with 8 players:

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

That means we have an $11.9 million cap hold for IT and a $3.4 million cap hold for the four roster spots we're short, or $15.3 million in cap holds.  If you add that to $60 million, we're now up over $75 million, still $3 million short of a max.  The only way we could get the extra $30.6 million would be to trade one of Horford, Brown, Tatum, and Crowder.  Could we do it?  Sure.  Would it be a less attractive roster for a free agent to join than this year's? Yes.
I got my numbers from Spotrac. They have way lower number for IT. 11.9 doesn't sound right with IT's salary on a decrease again. Also isnt cap hold number lower on Smart if QO is extended?

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

I got my numbers from Spotrac. They have way lower number for IT. 11.9 doesn't sound right with IT's salary on a decrease again. Also isnt cap hold number lower on Smart if QO is extended?

Sorry, but Spotrac is wrong.

IT's cap hold is 190% of his $6.26 million salary, since he makes less than the average salary of $7.6 million.  That's about $11.9 million.
The new CBA raised the cap hold on restricted free agents beginning next year to 300% of their prior salary (if it was below the average salary as Smart's is) from 250%, so that's $13.6 million.
AB is correct, since his remains 150% of his prior salary as he makes more than the average salary.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Thanks, saltlover.  I never knew how cap holds are calculated.  Understanding the new CBA makes it even more complicated.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:38:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

IT's cap hold is 190% of his $6.26 million salary, since he makes less than the average salary of $7.6 million.  That's about $11.9 million.
The new CBA raised the cap hold on restricted free agents beginning next year to 300% of their prior salary (if it was below the average salary as Smart's is) from 250%, so that's $13.6 million.
AB is correct, since his remains 150% of his prior salary as he makes more than the average salary.
So if they are three million short they cant also flip Rozier and sign a ten day. Thats easy enough to get pretty much equal to the max. But also another point is if they score two top five picks it may be a mute point. Because they will likely need more playing time for the players and not looking for a max guy. They would probably be trading for a guy thats signed and will have space to absorb almost any available player.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

So if they are three million short they cant also flip Rozier and sign a ten day. Thats easy enough to get pretty much equal to the max. But also another point is if they score two top five picks it may be a mute point. Because they will likely need more playing time for the players and not looking for a max guy. They would probably be trading for a guy thats signed and will have space to absorb almost any available player.

No, flipping Rozier won't likely be enough, because then you need another hold of $840k since you have yet another unfilled roster spot.  Moving him only saves you $2.2 million, and you're already at least $3.6 million short.  You'd need to get a much worse Brooklyn pick than you're hoping for (outside top 5), and the cap would likely have to come in a bit higher too.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Thanks, saltlover.  I never knew how cap holds are calculated.  Understanding the new CBA makes it even more complicated.

Yeah, there are a lot of rules for cap holds. I have them mostly remembered at this point, so I can mentally tell when spotrac is wrong. (It happens a lot more than people realize -- I once was going through their info to see how many errors I could find, alphabetically by team, but got frustrated and quit when I already counted over 15 errors by the time I finished Brooklyn.  If I had the time and web design acumen, I'd make my own spotrac.)

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't think we should worry about this too much. It seems likely that we will sign at least one FA to a multi-year contract this summer, we have some significant roster holes if we don't sign Hayward. We also very well could trade someone like Bradley or Crowder, taking back more than one year of salary.

I'm not saying this exercise has no value - I think it's useful in showing that we can have substantial cap room if we want it. But I think it's safer to say that by the next summer we will be playing around the edges of free agency more than we are now, and pursuing other methods of improving the roster.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

No, flipping Rozier won't likely be enough, because then you need another hold of $840k since you have yet another unfilled roster spot.  Moving him only saves you $2.2 million, and you're already at least $3.6 million short.  You'd need to get a much worse Brooklyn pick than you're hoping for (outside top 5), and the cap would likely have to come in a bit higher too.
You didn't get all of that last post. You are near enough to max to sign a guy who wants max money,  2 million wont hurt if winning games is a draw. And if you do get two top picks you wont be locked into signing a max guy. Likely you will be trading for a top 10 player so having loads of cap space to absorb a contract is another reason not to spend simply because we cant get a max guy. We can create the space easily. We need to stay flexible not go for a Gali or RudyG. This isnt a must spend off season

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

You didn't get all of that last post. You are near enough to max to sign a guy who wants max money,  2 million wont hurt if winning games is a draw. And if you do get two top picks you wont be locked into signing a max guy. Likely you will be trading for a top 10 player so having loads of cap space to absorb a contract is another reason not to spend simply because we cant get a max guy. We can create the space easily. We need to stay flexible not go for a Gali or RudyG. This isnt a must spend off season

Max players want the max and get the max., especially when switching teams.  It's pretty simple, and I don't know why this is debated every summer.  Maybe 10+ years guys will take less than the max, but 7-9 years players don't, and certainly not $2 million less (which works out to $8.6 million over four years.)

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Only realistic max FA targets next year will be Boogie, CP3 and DeAndre Jordan. If Ainge wanted Boogie he would have traded for him at the deadline. CP3 will be 33 years old, not to mention we already have IT running the point. As for DeAndre, I'd much rather have Hayward.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Horford
IT
Tatum
Brown
Crowder
Zizic
Rozier
Brooklyn pick

Max players want the max and get the max., especially when switching teams.  It's pretty simple, and I don't know why this is debated every summer.  Maybe 10+ years guys will take less than the max, but 7-9 years players don't, and certainly not $2 million less (which works out to $8.6 million over four years.)
Its not even that much if they use an opt out after year one or two like KD and LeBron have done.