Author Topic: Can Indy Pull a DeAndre Jordan?  (Read 1587 times)

Can Indy Pull a DeAndre Jordan?
« on: July 02, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I was thinking about this:

The league moratorium lasts until July 7th. Until then, no transactions or signings are official. If Haywards commits to signing with the Celtics today, could Ainge go to Pritchard and offer Jae, Marcus and 3 or 4 first-rounders for George? Would Pritchard then be able to accept that offer and renege from the OKC deal?

Re: Can Indy Pull a DeAndre Jordan?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Technically yes. I've never seen it happen (Deandre was a free agent) in a trade, since essentially that'll mean that the Pacers' GM's word has little credibility. I mean, would you do a deal with a GM who can so easily renege on an agreed deal?
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Technically, he probably could since it's highly unlikely OKC would try to sue Indy for breaching an oral agreement.  But Prichard's career would essentially be over since no one would ever be willing to deal with him again.  The difference with Jordan is that he was a free agent, so all the power and responsibility was on him and not Clippers management.

Even so, if Dallas had an actually oral agreement with Jordan, they probably could have sued and won, but likely only gotten monetary damages at best.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I was thinking about this:

The league moratorium lasts until July 7th. Until then, no transactions or signings are official. If Haywards commits to signing with the Celtics today, could Ainge go to Pritchard and offer Jae, Marcus and 3 or 4 first-rounders for George? Would Pritchard then be able to accept that offer and renege from the OKC deal?

Kevin Pritchard is being called dumb for trading Paul George for whatever he gets. If he does this, he will be the biggest jerk in the NBA.

With that said, I hope he does, and I hope the league approves it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Technically, he probably could since it's highly unlikely OKC would try to sue Indy for breaching an oral agreement.  But Prichard's career would essentially be over since no one would ever be willing to deal with him again.  The difference with Jordan is that he was a free agent, so all the power and responsibility was on him and not Clippers management.

Even so, if Dallas had an actually oral agreement with Jordan, they probably could have sued and won, but likely only gotten monetary damages at best.

Mike

Dallas did have an oral agreement with Jordan. I am not sure that Dallas would have won a suit against Jordan because there are many defenses to a potential lawsuit for an oral contract for employment contracts that last more than a year.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
They could have either Oladipo or Sabonis fail their physical. That may make it a little more acceptable in the public eye.