Author Topic: Celtics Need To Enter The Millsap Negotiations And Show Interest...  (Read 6074 times)

Re: Celtics Need To Enter The Millsap Negotiations And Show Interest...
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Millsap is a 4 who can do everything. He's an excellent fit and fallback if Hayward isn't signed.
But Denver is going to push to get him signed ASAP.

One thing Ainge is poor at is TIMING. He gets beaten to the punch by other teams. He should be into Millsap now as a backup to Hayward. Sure, Millsap is 32, but he's in good shape, a real pro, and a 3 year deal would be fine. He works with Horford, and would be a nice mentor for Tatum and Brown.

I'd rather see Millsap than Gallinari, who is a walking wounded with bad knees, and can't play defense.

Looks like it's Millsap, Gallinari, and Okafor (for CHEAP) as "fallback options".
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Trade for Okafor and Holmes then sign llyasova. Save the cap space

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Millsap is a 4 who can do everything. He's an excellent fit and fallback if Hayward isn't signed.
But Denver is going to push to get him signed ASAP.

One thing Ainge is poor at is TIMING. He gets beaten to the punch by other teams. He should be into Millsap now as a backup to Hayward. Sure, Millsap is 32, but he's in good shape, a real pro, and a 3 year deal would be fine. He works with Horford, and would be a nice mentor for Tatum and Brown.

I'd rather see Millsap than Gallinari, who is a walking wounded with bad knees, and can't play defense.

I would bet that the Celtics have contacted several of the guys who've already signed but those players decided to take deals on the table rather than wait.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Not quite everything - he's no great shakes as a defensive rebounder. But signing him would make up for the gap in team defense left by Amir's exit.

I guess the question is: was his drop in productivity last season a sign of aging?

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
What did prime Millsap accomplish with horford in atlanta? Literally nothing. Not even a shoe deal. Kept getting destroyed in the playoffs. No one likes Millsap. He's old and crusty

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Not quite everything - he's no great shakes as a defensive rebounder. But signing him would make up for the gap in team defense left by Amir's exit.

I guess the question is: was his drop in productivity last season a sign of aging?
Equal parts aging and not getting to play with Al Horford.

What did prime Millsap accomplish with horford in atlanta? Literally nothing. Not even a shoe deal. Kept getting destroyed in the playoffs. No one likes Millsap. He's old and crusty
Thomas, Bradley, smart, crowder, brown would be a better supporting cas than they ever had in atlanta by a long shot.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
No real interest in this guy at this point of his career. Would have loved him 4 years ago though.

It's Hayward or bust imo.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wouldn't care one way or the other

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's going to denver. We never have to hear proposals for Millsap ever again!

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 11:16:05 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

3 years $90M

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 11:17:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It took literally 12 hours for these forums to suggest that OKC could turn around and trade us Paul George for the package we offered to Indiana.  I think you're going to be disappointed.

For those so inclined -- Millsap can be traded December 15th.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

It took literally 12 hours for these forums to suggest that OKC could turn around and trade us Paul George for the package we offered to Indiana.  I think you're going to be disappointed.

For those so inclined -- Millsap can be traded December 15th.

Wait is that legit? They would actually trade PG13 again???

And Now I really hope we land Hayward, because if he doesn't come here.. We've lost our chances at other targets now (Millsap, Griffin, George, etc. - Maybe Gallo and others to follow?)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 12:49:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Cousins, Butler, George, Paul, Millsap ... all changed teams in the last year.  You can also add Griffin as a guy who was at least theoretically available, though the Celts may never have had a chance to pitch him.

Hayward is now the last hope.  If Ainge doesn't come away with a single star addition, how big of a flop does this summer start to look like?

I know, I know.  53 win team. #1 seed. Conference Finalist.  Added a top 3 pick.  At least one more lottery pick on the way, possibly two top 10 picks.

Still, why have all these assets if not to pounce on the opportunities when stars become available?  I thought that was the whole point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Cousins, Butler, George, Paul, Millsap ... all changed teams in the last year.  You can also add Griffin as a guy who was at least theoretically available, though the Celts may never have had a chance to pitch him.

Hayward is now the last hope.  If Ainge doesn't come away with a single star addition, how big of a flop does this summer start to look like?

I know, I know.  53 win team. #1 seed. Conference Finalist.  Added a top 3 pick.  At least one more lottery pick on the way, possibly two top 10 picks.

Still, why have all these assets if not to pounce on the opportunities when stars become available?  I thought that was the whole point.

The plan all along seems to have been get Hayward in free agency, then trade for another star.  Considering what some stars have gone for, who knows whom we could get for Crowder, Bradley, picks and filler.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 01:08:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The plan all along seems to have been get Hayward in free agency, then trade for another star.  Considering what some stars have gone for, who knows whom we could get for Crowder, Bradley, picks and filler.

Mike

Who all is left?

Maybe McCollum?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain