Poll

Be Honest. Where Do You Think Hayward Goes In Free Agency?

Stays With Utah
25 (25.3%)
Goes To Miami
3 (3%)
Goes To Boston
70 (70.7%)
Goes To Another Team (Surprisingly)
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: Gordon Hayward To Meet With Jazz, Heat, And Celtics In Coming Week  (Read 37521 times)

Re: Gordon Hayward To Meet With Jazz, Heat, And Celtics In Coming Week
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:21 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Hearing Utah gets the last word:

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/880185531006459904

Boston meeting him on Sunday?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2017, 03:38:30 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
Can't see him joining the Heat 🔥

Either he stays in Utah or reunites with CBS

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2017, 05:28:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I can see him staying in Utah and Jazz making a big Nets type offer for IT and AB.

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
joins the Nets

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 07:08:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Jazz site rumors that Jazz should offer him a 1 plus 1 contract making him eligible to sign a super max deal if he makes all NBA next year.

Does that work?

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Jazz site rumors that Jazz should offer him a 1 plus 1 contract making him eligible to sign a super max deal if he makes all NBA next year.

Does that work?

That would work, but it would put a lot of risk on him vs. signing long term.  As long as he's healthy next year it would work out, but an injury could mean he loses money vs. signing long term.  He'll have to weigh the chances that he makes All-NBA vs. the chance he gets injured
I'm bitter.

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
One thing's for sure: Tom Brady won't be there to recruit him this time.

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why do you think he would meet with the Heat? Both the Jazz and the Celtics are better teams than the Heat so I don't really get it. I got worried about players that talk to bad teams.

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Why do you think he would meet with the Heat? Both the Jazz and the Celtics are better teams than the Heat so I don't really get it. I got worried about players that talk to bad teams.

No state tax, Pat Riley, Spoelstra, Dragic, Whiteside and weather. I am not happy about Hayward meeting with the Heat and why do they get the first meeting? Where will they meet on a yacht off the coast? This worries me.

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Heat finished pretty strong and lose no one at all to bring him in since he will just go into Bosh's salary slot.  I mean the Heat were 11-30 and finished 30-11 to close at 41-41 and just miss the playoffs.  Dragic and Whiteside both compliment Hayward's skill set well (and they can sign Hayward and then bring Waiters back if they want to).  The Heat have a bunch of nice young players and are a very young team overall.  They have no state income tax.  Living in Miami in the winter is way better than Boston or Utah.  Riley and Spo are proven winners. 

The Heat are real competition for any of the major free agents and can't just be disregarded.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Heat finished pretty strong and lose no one at all to bring him in since he will just go into Bosh's salary slot.  I mean the Heat were 11-30 and finished 30-11 to close at 41-41 and just miss the playoffs.  Dragic and Whiteside both compliment Hayward's skill set well (and they can sign Hayward and then bring Waiters back if they want to).  The Heat have a bunch of nice young players and are a very young team overall.  They have no state income tax.  Living in Miami in the winter is way better than Boston or Utah.  Riley and Spo are proven winners. 

The Heat are real competition for any of the major free agents and can't just be disregarded.

That's where the Brad Stevens factor has to kick in.

Also, won't the Heat have trouble signing Hayward AND keeping Waiters+Johnson in that case. And those two were the main reason Miami even went on that 2nd half run.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That's where the Brad Stevens factor has to kick in.

Also, won't the Heat have trouble signing Hayward AND keeping Waiters+Johnson in that case. And those two were the main reason Miami even went on that 2nd half run.
Without Bosh, the Heat have approximately 56 million in salaries to Whiteside, Dragic, McRoberts, T. Johnson, Winslow, and Richardson.  Adebayo is around 2 million bringing that total to 58 million.  If they add in Ellington, McGruder, and White that is 9 million (most of which is from Ellington).  So that is 67 million.  Waiters cap hold is just 3.477 and J. Johnson's cap hold is just 4.8.  So that takes them to just over 75 million.  So not quite enough for a max, but they can let Ellington go and they have max room again.  So I would expect them to do that.  They could keep Ellington and let White or McGruder go and release J. Johnson's cap hold and could also create max cap room that way, but I think that is the lesser option since I imagine they would want to keep J. Johnson if possible.  After they sign their max free agent, they can then sign Waiters and Johnson to larger contracts (though they don't have Bird rights so they can't go crazy).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
They have no state income tax.  Living in Miami in the winter is way better than Boston or Utah. . .   

I actually did the math on this a while ago, including the annual raises of his deal and so forth. It starts out with savings of $1.5 million per year.  But in the final season, it's a little over $2 million in savings.

Another way to look at it is this:

• The state tax in Mass. is 5%.
  • State tax in Florida is 0%.
  • Guess what rate NBA agents charge their clients?  5%
  • That means that the tax savings of signing in Florida instead of Boston equates to getting your agent for free.

I can definitely see the attraction of that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:34:03 AM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2017, 10:32:01 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
They have no state income tax.  Living in Miami in the winter is way better than Boston or Utah. . .   

I actually did the math on this a while ago, including the annual raises of his deal and so forth. It starts out with savings of $1.5 million per year.  But in the final season, it's a little over $2 million in savings.

• Guess what rate an NBA agents charges their clients?  5%
  • That means that the tax savings of signing in Florida instead of Boston equates to getting your agent for free.

Well, there it is, our chances of signing Hayward GONE.

Screw taxes!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

• Guess what rate an NBA agents charges their clients?  5%

Well, there it is, our chances of signing Hayward GONE.

Screw taxes!
There's a missing factor in your math, MetroGlobe.  Players pay income tax based upon the state in which they work.  That means Hayward would pay no income tax on home games and other games that take place in no-income-tax states.  BUT, he will pay taxes on road games taking place in states that have an income tax.  That makes the math much more complicated but an approximation is that your calculated tax savings should be cut in half.