Author Topic: Chris Paul Despised Doc Rivers, Especially Over Carmelo Talks (LOL!)  (Read 7293 times)

Re: Chris Paul Despised Doc Rivers, Especially Over Carmelo Talks (LOL!)
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 09:04:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There's no way that trade rumour is true. So that ends that
Why?  This was when Phil was doing whatever he could to trade Anthony and get him to waive his no trade clause at the deadline last year. 

Purportedly the Knicks made the offer said it was on the table for 3 days (unless they moved him before then) and the Clippers just didn't respond at all to the trade and let the 3 days expire.  I have no idea why Doc wouldn't accept that trade, unless he really didn't want to give up his son. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Doc is gone. Doc coached the celtics to a championship. Why so many on this blog seem to delight in humiliating and lambasting doc is beyond me.

No one likes to be "big timed."  Doc left for one reason and one reason only, because he decided he was too important, too special, too wonderful to go through a rebuilding process.  So he left behind the team, the management and the fans that had supported him when he was coaching a team that went from 45 winds to 24 wins because just making millions of dollars to coach the Celtics wasn't enough for him any more.  Only competing for a championship would be good enough for him.

Which is why it's pretty darned amusing to see his ego-fueled endeavor fall apart because of his own incompetence, while the team he left behind as not good enough is actually closer to winning a title than he's been at any time with the Clippers.

Mike
Not wanting to suffer through a rebuild when you career is reaching a mature/ advanced stage is not a character flaw or personality disorder.

He wanted better, which is not unreasonable.

So, you wouldn't mind if your significant other ditches you for someone better looking?  And when the Celtics started their rebuilding process and went 25-57, did you stop watching and following the team because you wanted something "better?"

Overwrought fans can certainly be ridiculous and annoying, but there is one thing even worse.  The anti-fan who acts like they have no emotional investment in anything.

Mike

I strongly believe that all the hate towards Doc Rivers is utterly ridiculous.

If a star player (e.g. Paul George) chooses to leave his team because they are going through a rebuild, and he doesn't want to suffer though that, somehow almost everybody is ok with that.

But when a coach prefers to leave a team that's going through a rebuild so he can go to a more competitive situation, that's disloyal. 

Why should the two be seen any different?

Doc already had to coach through one terrible Celtics team through a rebuild.  He had a chance to move to a better position, and he took it.  He would have known that Danny Ainge had his eyes on Brad Stevens anyway, and I've got no doubts he would have had long hard talks to Ainge about it. And if Ainge didn't have a plan B that he really liked in place, then I'm sure Doc would not have walked and left Boston with nobody.

The situation worked out well for all parties involved - it was a win/win situation.  People should get over it.
I never liked Doc.  I always thought he was a phony.  He would say one thing and then do something else.  On top of that I never thought he was a very good coach (I'd say average).  And this isn't revisionist history, you can find posts on here (if they still exist) where I was posting my disdain for Doc and wanting him gone for years.  So when he left it was the greatest day for me especially with Boston getting a pick out of it.  That was the cherry on top. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Doc is gone. Doc coached the celtics to a championship. Why so many on this blog seem to delight in humiliating and lambasting doc is beyond me.

No one likes to be "big timed."  Doc left for one reason and one reason only, because he decided he was too important, too special, too wonderful to go through a rebuilding process.  So he left behind the team, the management and the fans that had supported him when he was coaching a team that went from 45 winds to 24 wins because just making millions of dollars to coach the Celtics wasn't enough for him any more.  Only competing for a championship would be good enough for him.

Which is why it's pretty darned amusing to see his ego-fueled endeavor fall apart because of his own incompetence, while the team he left behind as not good enough is actually closer to winning a title than he's been at any time with the Clippers.

Mike
Not wanting to suffer through a rebuild when you career is reaching a mature/ advanced stage is not a character flaw or personality disorder.

So, you wouldn't mind if your significant other ditches you for someone better looking?  And when the Celtics started their rebuilding process and went 25-57, did you stop watching and following the team because you wanted something "better?"

Overwrought fans can certainly be ridiculous and annoying, but there is one thing even worse.  The anti-fan who acts like they have no emotional investment in anything.

Mike

If a star player (e.g. Paul George) chooses to leave his team because they are going through a rebuild, and he doesn't want to suffer though that, somehow almost everybody is ok with that.

But when a coach prefers to leave a team that's going through a rebuild so he can go to a more competitive situation, that's disloyal. 

Doc already had to coach through one terrible Celtics team through a rebuild.  He had a chance to move to a better position, and he took it.  He would have known that Danny Ainge had his eyes on Brad Stevens anyway, and I've got no doubts he would have had long hard talks to Ainge about it. And if Ainge didn't have a plan B that he really liked in place, then I'm sure Doc would not have walked and left Boston with nobody.

The situation worked out well for all parties involved - it was a win/win situation.  People should get over it.
I never liked Doc.  I always thought he was a phony.  He would say one thing and then do something else.  On top of that I never thought he was a very good coach (I'd say average).  And this isn't revisionist history, you can find posts on here (if they still exist) where I was posting my disdain for Doc and wanting him gone for years.  So when he left it was the greatest day for me especially with Boston getting a pick out of it.  That was the cherry on top.

R. J. Hunter == "cherry on top"?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 10:41:35 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Put me in the "Folks should just get over it!" category.

I never understand the endless venomous hate that some posters can keep on spewing years later about former Celtics such as Doc, Rondo, Ray Allen, etc.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Mike

Mike

R. J. Hunter == "cherry on top"?
Doc also helped us with the 2 seconds for a first IMO. There is some truth to son and dad on same team. I experienced it in football.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I never understand the endless venomous hate that some posters can keep on spewing years later about former Celtics such as Doc, Rondo, Ray Allen, etc.

Agreed, except for Ray Allen... he was a complete snake.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 03:35:41 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Agreed, except for Ray Allen... he was a complete snake.

Same here.