Author Topic: Chris Paul Despised Doc Rivers, Especially Over Carmelo Talks (LOL!)  (Read 7283 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-chris-paul-doc-rivers-feuded-over-potential-carmelo-anthony-clippers-trade/

Chris Paul has always been a bit of a micromanager. When he arrived in Los Angeles in 2011, he completely changed the Clippers culture both on and off the court. How the team functioned became a part of his identity. If Paul wanted a trade there was very likely a chance he would get it. However, when Doc Rivers arrived and took over operations for the team there was an expectation that both sides would have to compromise a bit.

In the case of Rivers' son however, Paul wasn't willing to budge. A reported trade that would have sent Austin Rivers to the Knicks for Carmelo Anthony was eventually shut down by Doc Rivers. Paul reportedly was already annoyed with how Rivers gave preferential treatment to his son, but the trade was what broke the relationship. Here's more from that, via ESPN's Michael Eaves:

It led to resentment within the locker room, which often played out during games. One of Paul's biggest contentions with Doc was that Paul, and other players, felt Doc treated Austin more favorably than other players. He would yell at guys for certain things during games and practices, but not get on Austin in the same manner for similar transgressions.

But what really solidified Paul's dissatisfaction with Doc was a proposed trade involving Carmelo Anthony last season. New York offered Carmelo and Sasha Vujacic to the Clippers in exchange for Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce and Austin Rivers, a deal to which Rivers ultimately said no. That event led Paul to feel that keeping his son on the roster was more important to Doc than improving the team. So, ultimately, Paul lost both trust and faith in Doc. As one league executive put it, "Chris despises Doc."

Reports of Rivers "coddling" his son have been commonplace ever since he first traded for him in New Orleans. Even though Austin Rivers has become one of the better defensive guards in the NBA there is still a general sense that he's only around because his father is the coach. That's not true, but it's a reputation he has to deal with -- especially if his father is giving him special treatment.

If Rivers really did pass up on Anthony just because it involved his son then that would be incredibly unprofessional on his part. He's supposed to be running the Clippers to be a better basketball team. He can't make roster moves on personal feelings alone. If what's been reported is true then Paul is correct to be annoyed with Rivers.

So let me get this straight... the Knicks offered Carmelo Anthony and Sasha Vujacic for Pierce, Austin Rivers and Jamal Crawford... and Doc Rivers said NO???

HAHAHAAHA  :laugh: :laugh:

Man, I can understand CP3's frustration here. Doc practically chose his son over improving the team, and that definitely has to irk the others on the team. The Clippers could have gotten Carmelo without having to trade any of CP3/Griffin/Jordan, but Doc pretty much prevented it.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Chris Paul Despised Doc Rivers, Especially Over Carmelo Talks (LOL!)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Doubtful he wanted to trade PP either, but... Melo might have given them a chance. They needed a scoring wing desperately. It was their main structural flaw.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Austin Rivers‏Verified account
@AustinRivers25

These false rumors are comedy...so fictional it's actually amusing! People will say or do anything to get attention. A lot 🤡🤡 out there

Eh, who knows? Maybe it is fake.

But I guess Doc got his wish of having Austin as the starting PG  :P

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
LOL... I look at that proposed trade, and it makes ZERO sense. Everything reported falls apart after that.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL... I look at that proposed trade, and it makes ZERO sense. Everything reported falls apart after that.

I just chuckle at the thought of Doc rejecting that deal.

Now imagine if that ACTUALLY happened? We don't know, but it's being reported almost everywhere.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-chris-paul-doc-rivers-feuded-over-potential-carmelo-anthony-clippers-trade/

Chris Paul has always been a bit of a micromanager. When he arrived in Los Angeles in 2011, he completely changed the Clippers culture both on and off the court. How the team functioned became a part of his identity. If Paul wanted a trade there was very likely a chance he would get it. However, when Doc Rivers arrived and took over operations for the team there was an expectation that both sides would have to compromise a bit.

In the case of Rivers' son however, Paul wasn't willing to budge. A reported trade that would have sent Austin Rivers to the Knicks for Carmelo Anthony was eventually shut down by Doc Rivers. Paul reportedly was already annoyed with how Rivers gave preferential treatment to his son, but the trade was what broke the relationship. Here's more from that, via ESPN's Michael Eaves:

It led to resentment within the locker room, which often played out during games. One of Paul's biggest contentions with Doc was that Paul, and other players, felt Doc treated Austin more favorably than other players. He would yell at guys for certain things during games and practices, but not get on Austin in the same manner for similar transgressions.

But what really solidified Paul's dissatisfaction with Doc was a proposed trade involving Carmelo Anthony last season. New York offered Carmelo and Sasha Vujacic to the Clippers in exchange for Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce and Austin Rivers, a deal to which Rivers ultimately said no. That event led Paul to feel that keeping his son on the roster was more important to Doc than improving the team. So, ultimately, Paul lost both trust and faith in Doc. As one league executive put it, "Chris despises Doc."

Reports of Rivers "coddling" his son have been commonplace ever since he first traded for him in New Orleans. Even though Austin Rivers has become one of the better defensive guards in the NBA there is still a general sense that he's only around because his father is the coach. That's not true, but it's a reputation he has to deal with -- especially if his father is giving him special treatment.

If Rivers really did pass up on Anthony just because it involved his son then that would be incredibly unprofessional on his part. He's supposed to be running the Clippers to be a better basketball team. He can't make roster moves on personal feelings alone. If what's been reported is true then Paul is correct to be annoyed with Rivers.

So let me get this straight... the Knicks offered Carmelo Anthony and Sasha Vujacic for Pierce, Austin Rivers and Jamal Crawford... and Doc Rivers said NO???

HAHAHAAHA  :laugh: :laugh:

Man, I can understand CP3's frustration here. Doc practically chose his son over improving the team, and that definitely has to irk the others on the team. The Clippers could have gotten Carmelo without having to trade any of CP3/Griffin/Jordan, but Doc pretty much prevented it.

aligns with Big Baby Davis doesn't it...I think everyone always thought Doc gave special treatment to Austin. If it wasn't for daddy, Austin would've been out the league already

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
@AustinRivers25

These false rumors are comedy...so fictional it's actually amusing! People will say or do anything to get attention. A lot 🤡🤡 out there

Austin plays the 2. I don't think I've ever seen him play pg since rookie year

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Big baby might be right about something? Wow lol

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
@AustinRivers25

Well congratulations! You get to see it live, starting next season!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
@AustinRivers25

Probably hard to see when it would be benefiting him. Not saying it's true but BBD said the same. I doubt Paul will ever say anything about it but who knows.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Doc never should have been in charge of personnel. He's a terrible GM.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35:11 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There's no way that trade rumour is true. So that ends that

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Bringing in his son should've never happened. Sounds like that was the beginning of the end. From Zach Lowe's ESPN article:
The culture had eroded. Insiders complained about a lack of accountability -- about practices and shootarounds starting late, and Austin Rivers carrying himself like an anointed superstar.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19758988/zach-lowe-chris-paul-james-harden-running-houston-rockets-nba
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

And, an average, at best, coach.

As many of us remember, Doc was an outstanding player.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
@AustinRivers25

When CP3 was out, Austin played a lot of minutes with the regular starting group in his place.