Author Topic: Houston just set trade market for PG13  (Read 3458 times)

Houston just set trade market for PG13
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:22:55 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
CP3 can opt out next year as well. So Clips got a starter, 2 reserves and a 1st round pick.

Ainge...hold my beer.

Re: Houston just set trade market for PG13
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think the two are related.  The Chris Paul trade is all about matching salary.  Chris Paul opted out (or at least declared his intent to) for this season.  Paul George cannot do that.

I predict that the Lakers are going to cave and give the Pacers a few decent young assets and Indy will make the trade.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
I don't believe that's right. My understanding is CP3 opted in and was traded. It turned into a sign and trade...he will still be a FA next year. It could turn into a 1 year rental

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
CP3 can opt out next year as well. So Clips got a starter, 2 reserves and a 1st round pick.

Ainge...hold my beer.

Isn't that, in essence the offer? Crowder, Smart/Zeller, and Memphis/Clips pick?

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It's a totally different situation.  The Clippers would have lost CP3 in free agency a few days later if they hadn't made the trade. The Pacers will have an entire year to trade him or will just have him play out the last year for them.  They don't have the pressing threat of him leaving for nothing, with a deadline of less than a week, so the price will be higher.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Not really, though, because CP likely verbally committed to staying long-term, seeing as he was intending to sign with Houston anyway.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It's a totally different situation.  The Clippers would have lost CP3 in free agency a few days later if they hadn't made the trade. The Pacers will have an entire year to trade him or will just have him play out the last year for them.  They don't have the pressing threat of him leaving for nothing, with a deadline of less than a week, so the price will be higher.

Pretty much this.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Ainge...hold my beer.

Isn't that, in essence the offer? Crowder, Smart/Zeller, and Memphis/Clips pick?
bradley, crowder, bos 18 , and rozier
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
It is a completely different situation.  C.P. could have walked for nothing, instead he opted into the final year of his contract with the stipulation that he get traded to Houston.  If the Clips had not agreed to this C.P. could have walked for nothing in return and signed anywhere he wanted by opting out.  Indiana is not under the gun like this with P.G..  The Clips did extremely well getting back what they did.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

For George, your not discounting the fact that he specifically named a team that he wants to play for when he hits free agency and that he alienated himself from Pacers fans and now basically can't go back.

How did this whole Chris Paul to Houston thing start? I could have sworn he opted out of his deal a few days ago, and free agency doesn't start until July 1. Did the players (Paul and Harden) essentially get this deal done by talking to each other, and then got management involved? Houston couldn't talk to Paul, so how did they know he would be willing to do a sign and trade?

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney

You're correct but the longer the Pacers keep PG13, the worse the deals are that they are offered.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

You're correct but the longer the Pacers keep PG13, the worse the deals are that they are offered.

Not necessarily.  It's true that waiting until the trade deadline, or until September would lower the value, but free agency could help the price.  It would likely put us into the running for him, which would increase the price.  It's also possible that we won;t enter the market for him, but between Houston, LAC, and the Lakers vying for him it shouldn't really depress the price.  They can afford to wait a week or two in hopes that the price goes up, with the other teams as a contingency plan

Houston/LA teams aren't gonna lose interest in him just because of free agency
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It takes both the buyer and the seller to set the price. Yes, CP3 could have just walked a few days later, which lowered his trade value. However, it is still possible that Houston could have gotten CP3 as a free agent. The fact that they gave up what they did does not represent the value of CP3 in a trade, it represents the value difference between the likelihood of acquiring CP3 in a trade and the likelihood of signing him as a free agent and the difference between benefits of each scenario.

The value for Paul George will not just be set by the Pacers, but by whoever trades for him. That means the Celtics are part of the pricing mechanism.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

For George, your not discounting the fact that he specifically named a team that he wants to play for when he hits free agency and that he alienated himself from Pacers fans and now basically can't go back.

How did this whole Chris Paul to Houston thing start? I could have sworn he opted out of his deal a few days ago, and free agency doesn't start until July 1. Did the players (Paul and Harden) essentially get this deal done by talking to each other, and then got management involved? Houston couldn't talk to Paul, so how did they know he would be willing to do a sign and trade?

George allegedly wanting to go to the Lakers is a factor, but it doesn't drop his value down to CP3's level.  Having another year of him gives them actual leverage, while the Clippers had none.

As for the Chris Paul deal, it wasn't a sign and trade.  He is still under his old contract, and simply opted into his final year.  It seems like the teams discussed a deal and LA gave Houston permission to talk to him about opting into the last year of his contract if they traded for him.  As long as they had LA's permission, and didn't discuss a new contract, it's legal (but shady).  As for getting to the point that Houston even started talking to LA about it, I'd have to guess it was all Harden.  If Morey talked to CP3 (or told Harden to do it on his behalf) then it's probably tampering, but at the moment there's nothing to really suggest it.  Shady, yes, tampering, probably not.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Who is going to give up assets to the Pacers at the trade deadline knowing PG13 wants out?

The Rockets have no assurances that CP3 will resign. The team trading for PG13 have no assurances that he will resign. No the circumstances are not identical but the value of what you get in return can be negotiated in the same realm. If anything CP3 made All NBA and All Defense so his price may even be slightly higher.