Author Topic: Report(s): George sounding more willing to resign long-term with a superteam  (Read 7633 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/06/28/paul-george-warned-indiana-pacers-trade/435476001/

George, meanwhile, finds himself at an interesting crossroads here.

Hell-bent as he is on signing with the Lakers, George - according to a person with knowledge of his situation - is also the kind of prudent professional who won’t close a window of opportunity prematurely.
So if the Cavs can convince Pritchard to either take on four-time All-Star forward Kevin Love or send him to a third team in exchange for more suitable assets, then George will play his heart out alongside LeBron James and remain open to the idea of re-signing next summer if James were also to return (or, perhaps, George could leave for Los Angeles with James at his side).

Ditto for the Celtics or the San Antonio Spurs, teams that could fulfill George’s desire for title contention and thus put themselves in the running. And should the Lakers come along and trade for him early to ensure he doesn’t fall in love with another team, then so be it. The person spoke with USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation.

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/880124909690736641?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Findiana-pacers

After the last few developments, sounds like Paul George is more concerned about playing for a super team than just to go to Los Angeles.

That last quote is from a really reputable Pacers reporter, too.

Between his willingness to resign long-term with several superteams and the market that has developed for him, he's not going to come cheap anymore. We're almost certainly including the Lakers pick in the deal, but the question will ultimately be how much more we'll need to add in addition to AB, Crowder, and the LA pick. I think LA is the only one who can top that offer as is, but that would probably require both Ball AND Ingram, which they're certainly not going to do.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
As any sane person in his position would be. He wants to win first and foremost, as he's going to get paid top dollar either way.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
As any sane person in his position would be. He wants to win first and foremost, as he's going to get paid top dollar either way.
He's not very sane off the court IMO. Ask Doc's daughter about him she knows how crazy that dude is and negligent.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He's not very sane off the court IMO. Ask Doc's daughter about him she knows how crazy that dude is and negligent.
Why do you keep mentioning Docs daughter, fill us in?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Yeah and what does she have to do with Celtics basketball?

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
This could also be getting leaked from the Pacers camp so it drives up the price from Boston or gets LA and other teams more actively involved.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah and what does she have to do with Celtics basketball?

Nothing. Because if you start to judge one player based on his personal life, then you have to have all of them be held up to the same standard. I got a feeling some "binky" players would be ruining if we start pulling that. Jae Crowder certainly wouldn't pass the test.....
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Btw I don't think we're gonna be able to keep him even if we did trade for him and have him a year. There's reports hes talked to Klay about joining forces in LA. He could sign with Lebron somewhere next year. The Rockets report just came out that they feel they can go after PG...pretty sure he'd gladly join Harden and Cp3 they are good friends I believe. I just don't feel like we're gonna be able to compete with him teaming up with the likes of those guys.

IT + Horford and even Hayward probably aren't the most appealing compared to some of these other guys he can join forces with.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

google

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If a team like Boston or the Lakers isn't willing to include some of the high level prospects (or draft picks in Boston's case), I really don't know why the Pacers wouldn't just trade with the Cavs and make the Cavs take on some of the other longer contracts.  I mean Indiana could trade George, Ellis, and Jefferson for Love, Frye, and Jefferson (Felder and Tavares could be included as well for some "prospects").  Frye and Jefferson might very well retire, which saves the Pacers even more money and they still have Love whom they could move for more savings and/or prospects.  The Cavs get George and some solid bench depth in Ellis and Jefferson, while the Pacers just go into full on tank mode and try to build around Turner. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So George gets traded to the Celtics, after the Celtics sign Hayward. That means the Celtics have this year as a "superteam" without having to pay luxury taxes. They will have to sign IT and George to max contracts the following year when both are free agents.

That gives the Celtics about two years of luxury tax payments to compete with the 4some of IT, Hayward, Horford, George. Then Horford's contract runs out. Then it's time to pay Brown. Can't help but wonder how long ownership will stay in the luxury tax area.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So George gets traded to the Celtics, after the Celtics sign Hayward. That means the Celtics have this year as a "superteam" without having to pay luxury taxes. They will have to sign IT and George to max contracts the following year when both are free agents.

That gives the Celtics about two years of luxury tax payments to compete with the 4some of IT, Hayward, Horford, George. Then Horford's contract runs out. Then it's time to pay Brown. Can't help but wonder how long ownership will stay in the luxury tax area.

Yeah, I think that's more of the ultimate problem. Affordability isn't an issue for the next three or so years. The real issue would be picking and choosing who to keep and who to let go  when all of Hayward, George, Horford, Brown, Tatum, etc. start coming up for new contracts.

Then again, if all would go as planned we wouldn't have to resign several of those players if players like Brown, Tatum, the eventual Brooklyn pick, etc. end up reaching their star potential. Theoretically, we could let those guys walk and have a much younger core just coming into their big contracts at that time.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yeah, I think that's more of the ultimate problem. Affordability isn't an issue for the next three or so years. The real issue would be picking and choosing who to keep and who to let go  when all of Hayward, George, Horford, Brown, Tatum, etc. start coming up for new contracts.

Then again, if all would go as planned we wouldn't have to resign several of those players if players like Brown, Tatum, the eventual Brooklyn pick, etc. end up reaching their star potential. Theoretically, we could let those guys walk and have a much younger core just coming into their big contracts at that time.
Well, that's how it is when you're trying to pay big money to redundant pieces such as Hayward, George, Brown and Tatum. Some of them will have to go. As far as I am concerned, I'd rather have either Hayward or George, but not both.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can someone dig up our cap situation (luxury tax) that we were paying during the time of KG/PP/Ray? how big of a tax did we pay during that era?

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I feel like that's wayyyy in the future and quite frankly, we don't even know what Jaylen and Jayson will turn into. Yeah, they could become stars in their own rights or they could top out as nice role players.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman