Author Topic: If no PG-13, can we get BOTH Hayward AND Griffin, one via sign and trade?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I know that S&Ts have become more difficult, with the new CBA, so I am not conversant as to their restrictions.

If we miss out on PG, can we sign one of Hayward/Griffin via FA and get one via S&T similar as to how CP3 was just acquired by the Rox?

Anybody have an idea as to what that could look like?

Also, is it easier, numbers-wise to get a 3rd team involved. e.g, Celts/Pacers/Clips?...so George to Clips, Griffin here and whatever we need to send to the Pacers?

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yes but you have to get to a pretty high salary going out, which is very difficult without including Horford or Thomas.  It is possible, but isn't all that likely.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My bold prediction is... If both pg13, hayward dont sign

Griffin is going to be a Celtic

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Yes but you have to get to a pretty high salary going out, which is very difficult without including Horford or Thomas.  It is possible, but isn't all that likely.
Horford for Blake?

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Would either the Jazz or Clips be interested in a S&T Olynyk?

That should be a big chunk of change.

Can you S&T one player for another S&T'd player?

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Olynyk's new salary would only count as half of itself in the trade because of BYC. That's what CBA people say.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
CP3 wasn't a sign and trade

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Olynyk's new salary would only count as half of itself in the trade because of BYC. That's what CBA people say.

TP, thanks.

So, if KO got $18m, 9 would count....would KO, Bradley and Crowder with a pick or two do it?

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Shouldn't it even out though if the returning player is also via S&T?  I don't think I've ever seen it done before.

For the other player coming in maybe could also be done via S&T with Bradley and Crowder going out?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Shouldn't it even out though if the returning player is also via S&T?  I don't think I've ever seen it done before.

For the other player coming in maybe could also be done via S&T with Bradley and Crowder going out?

No, it makes it worse.  Olynyk counts fully to the team receiving him, but half for us in terms of how much we can take back.  The same would be true coming the other way too.  Say we are getting Hayward.  We'd have to send out roughly $24 million to get him.  For the Jazz, Hayward would count as his current salary of $16 million (you pick either the current salary or half the new one, whichever is greater), meaning they could only take back $21 million if they wound up going over the cap.  Say Olynyk gets $16 million.  He'd only count as $8 million for the Celtics, meaning they'd need to send an additional $16 million to get to $24 million, for a total of $32 million.  This far exceeds the $21 million Hayward can bring back.

As for double sign-and-trades -- we sent Sasha Pavlovic to Portland (along with second-round picks for helping out) in a S&T as part of the three team deal that brought us Courtney Lee from Houston.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

TP, thanks.

So, if KO got $18m, 9 would count....would KO, Bradley and Crowder with a pick or two do it?

You'd need to make up $30m.

$9m for Olynyk
$8m for Bradley
$6m for Crowder

That's still only $23m, so you need to somehow make up another $7m on top of that - most likely would have to involve either Tatum, Smart or Jaylen going out as well - and by this point you've stripped so much of the team that it hardly seams worth it.

The key reason why the Paul George / Jimmy Butler ideas were so good was the fact that both players are on bargain contracts - $17m for Butler and $19m for George.  They were figures that Boston could match salary with relatively easily.   Matching for $30M is much harder.

This is where all of Boston's cost efficient contracts actually becomes a liability, and where the value of contracts like Amir (@ $12M) and Zeller (@ $8M) were valuable.  They were great for making up salary in potential trades.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
TPs to all for the clarifications.

This thing is a morass to me.

Sounds like Hayward (my preference) OR Griffin and try to pry a star (PG13, Zinger, someone who hasn't shaken out yet) who is on a good contract. Shake those trees, Danny!