Author Topic: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston  (Read 22573 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Want to add that if this deal is being completed before July 1st, Houston is not sending out enough salary by a few million.

I'm going to respond to myself by predicting Trevor Ariza is also included in this deal.  Otherwise the numbers don't work.

Responding to myself again.  Apparently the Clippers just bought DeAndre Liggins' contract from Dalllas.  As the Rockets have cap room, this can instantly be sent to the Clippers as part of matching salaries.  They can buy a couple million more in contracts to continue to gain salary filler.  Maybe they want to take on Demetrius Jackson from us?

Oh, wow, that'd actually be really nice.  Make it easier for us to clear max space and make life easier for them.  I'd throw in Mickey, too (and Zeller, but I doubt they can/would take him on)

They've got about $2 million in cap space left.  So if we helped, it could be only one of Mickey and Jackson.

Ah, okay.  Would they take Jackson alone? Maybe send them some cash with him? Getting that guaranteed money off the books would be nice

Houston would be sending the cash.  But you know Danny wants a future second.

Aren't there other non-guaranteed deals they could get that would have a smaller guarantee, though? I know they'll just be sending it straight to LA, but I would think that a smaller guarantee would be LA's preference.

Maybe we wouldn't have to send out money, but I can't see us getting a pick.  Maybe a little cash (like, a very small amount), but even Danny can't get a pick in a deal like that

Houston just got Tim Quarterman, who makes $543k.  They can take back up to $1.55 million more.  Jackson makes $1.45 million.  I'm not sure if there are too many better fits.

Good call.  I was thinking more in terms of 2017-18 salary, but this is to get the deal done before Saturday.  Jackson might be the best fit
I'm bitter.

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Want to add that if this deal is being completed before July 1st, Houston is not sending out enough salary by a few million.

I'm going to respond to myself by predicting Trevor Ariza is also included in this deal.  Otherwise the numbers don't work.

Responding to myself again.  Apparently the Clippers just bought DeAndre Liggins' contract from Dalllas.  As the Rockets have cap room, this can instantly be sent to the Clippers as part of matching salaries.  They can buy a couple million more in contracts to continue to gain salary filler.  Maybe they want to take on Demetrius Jackson from us?

Oh, wow, that'd actually be really nice.  Make it easier for us to clear max space and make life easier for them.  I'd throw in Mickey, too (and Zeller, but I doubt they can/would take him on)

They've got about $2 million in cap space left.  So if we helped, it could be only one of Mickey and Jackson.

Ah, okay.  Would they take Jackson alone? Maybe send them some cash with him? Getting that guaranteed money off the books would be nice

Houston would be sending the cash.  But you know Danny wants a future second.

Aren't there other non-guaranteed deals they could get that would have a smaller guarantee, though? I know they'll just be sending it straight to LA, but I would think that a smaller guarantee would be LA's preference.

Maybe we wouldn't have to send out money, but I can't see us getting a pick.  Maybe a little cash (like, a very small amount), but even Danny can't get a pick in a deal like that

Houston just got Tim Quarterman, who makes $543k.  They can take back up to $1.55 million more.  Jackson makes $1.45 million.  I'm not sure if there are too many better fits.

Good call.  I was thinking more in terms of 2017-18 salary, but this is to get the deal done before Saturday.  Jackson might be the best fit

Wouldn't quite be enough.  Houston needs about $1.58 million more.  There's the very obscure rule that lets you trade for a player with cap room if you wind up less than $100k over the cap, so that's their target.  I wouldn't bet against Morey hitting it to the penny.

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
If Melo goes to Houston (after buyout), are the Rockets better than our hypothetical big 4?

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Paul agrees to sign with Houston 3 days before the free agency window opens? I thought teams couldn't engage in conversations with players until July 1

Wonder if the Clips will file tampering charges
He's not signing with them, he's being traded to them.
They're trading him because he said he was going to sign with them. I can't believe he made the decision to go there without a single discussion with Morey or anyone in Houston outside of a player

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Reports are that Montrezl Harrell also going to Clippers.  Now the Rockets are $~500k short.

« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My prediction is that Blake will sign in Miami and the heat will then try to sign Wade and Melo cheap after they get bought out.

Dragic Wade Melo Blake Whiteside
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Paul agrees to sign with Houston 3 days before the free agency window opens? I thought teams couldn't engage in conversations with players until July 1

Wonder if the Clips will file tampering charges
He's not signing with them, he's being traded to them.
They're trading him because he said he was going to sign with them. I can't believe he made the decision to go there without a single discussion with Morey or anyone in Houston outside of a player

LA can just say they granted HOU access and this is all much ado about nothing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2017, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
My prediction is that Blake will sign in Miami and the heat will then try to sign Wade and Melo cheap after they get bought out.

Not worried. Melo can't play defense. Wade is done.

Playoff team, but no threat IMHO.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
If Melo goes to Houston (after buyout), are the Rockets better than our hypothetical big 4?
And Wade too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I thought CP3 was going to San Antonio.

I officially have no predictions.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Tim MacMahon ‏Verified account
@espn_macmahon

Source on Rockets: "They think they are getting Carmelo or Paul George."
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
equivalent to the value that the rockets gave for paul, for ex. celtics would give for george has to be like:
beverly - bradley
williams - crowder
decker - olynyk or rozeir or Gershon
18 pick - celtics 18 pick

right???

angie is doing the right job of turning down silly offers
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
@espn_macmahon

DANG. Good thing the Rockets are in the West haha.

But if they add Melo, that's going to be a pretty bad defensive team. They even got rid of Beverley to acquire CP3, who is getting older as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
@espn_macmahon

...so Carmelo
I'm bitter.

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
@espn_macmahon

There's no way they're getting George. They have nothing to offer that even comes close to getting him.

Perhaps they could get Carmelo, but I really question that fit, along with the fit of Paul and Harden in the first place.