Author Topic: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston  (Read 22581 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Want to add that if this deal is being completed before July 1st, Houston is not sending out enough salary by a few million.

I'm going to respond to myself by predicting Trevor Ariza is also included in this deal.  Otherwise the numbers don't work.

Responding to myself again.  Apparently the Clippers just bought DeAndre Liggins' contract from Dalllas.  As the Rockets have cap room, this can instantly be sent to the Clippers as part of matching salaries.  They can buy a couple million more in contracts to continue to gain salary filler.  Maybe they want to take on Demetrius Jackson from us?

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So, time to snag something nice off of LAC's fire sale?

I would do a deal for Jordan, but he makes more than George and is in the same contract situation (guaranteed next year w/ player option for 2018-19). Crowder, AB, and picks isn't enough salary.

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Sounds like Harden just did a fantastic job at recruiting him and CP3 gave LA the option to trade him for assets or get left with nothing.

So, um... who on the C's is recruiting Paul George?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Jerry West putting his stamp on the franchise by hitting the reset button.  Seems like Doc could be on his way out, he is not interested in a rebuilding team. 

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Does this mean we will lose the opportunity of Blake because now he will sign the max with the Clippers and Chris is gone which may make him happier?

The opposite, IMO.

Blake should be looking to go to a team where he can compete.  He's not getting any younger, and that's especially true given his injury history. 

The Clippers should press the red button.  If they sign Griffin, they have a core of Griffin and Jordan with a lot of mediocrity around them and no cap space or assets to bring in help.  That's not going to win playoff games.  Better to bottom out, keep the cap space, get some good draft picks, try again in a few years. 

It makes sense to both parties to go their separate ways.

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Probably not a good sign for the Cs pursuit of PG13.

Why? Neither Houston nor LAC can come anywhere close to our package. We can probably put 3-4x times the amount of value to Indy in a deal.

If anything, I think it makes the George and Hayward/Griffin pairing much, much more likely, because with 3 super teams now in the West that neither Utah or LAC have any realistic chance of touching, I think we can probably get either one now.

I think Hayward is pretty much a certainty at this point, and if Danny thinks George will cost too much or won't stay, then now the possibility of a Griffin sign and trade has opened up.

This is a pretty big win for us, I believe.

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Want to add that if this deal is being completed before July 1st, Houston is not sending out enough salary by a few million.

I'm going to respond to myself by predicting Trevor Ariza is also included in this deal.  Otherwise the numbers don't work.

Responding to myself again.  Apparently the Clippers just bought DeAndre Liggins' contract from Dalllas.  As the Rockets have cap room, this can instantly be sent to the Clippers as part of matching salaries.  They can buy a couple million more in contracts to continue to gain salary filler.  Maybe they want to take on Demetrius Jackson from us?
Paul apparently really likes Ariza so I wouldn't have thought that would have made sense.  The real question is what else can Houston do because that team is not on GS' level?  They are a lot closer, but how do they close the gap?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106

Why? Neither Houston nor LAC can come anywhere close to our package. We can probably put 3-4x times the amount of value to Indy in a deal.

If anything, I think it makes the George and Hayward/Griffin pairing much, much more likely, because with 3 super teams now in the West that neither Utah or LAC have any realistic chance of touching, I think we can probably get either one now.

I think Hayward is pretty much a certainty at this point, and if Danny thinks George will cost too much or won't stay, then now the possibility of a Griffin sign and trade has opened up.

Griffin is due to make 21 million next  season. Danny would have to act fast before he opts out officially. What package would he offer here? Smart, Crowder, Zellar, and future Memphis?

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Paul apparently really likes Ariza so I wouldn't have thought that would have made sense.  The real question is what else can Houston do because that team is not on GS' level?  They are a lot closer, but how do they close the gap?

Paul George.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So, time to snag something nice off of LAC's fire sale?

I would do a deal for Jordan, but he makes more than George and is in the same contract situation (guaranteed next year w/ player option for 2018-19). Crowder, AB, and picks isn't enough salary.
Hard to add Jordan's salary without moving top prospects and/or compromising our ability to sign a max FA, though. So that's probably a no even if they're trading him (which they've entertained as an option, by all accounts)...

Something like Crowder, AB, Rozier, and Jackson works on the trade checker, but it has us adding ~$4 million so signing a (near) max contract will be an issue.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Oh, wow, that'd actually be really nice.  Make it easier for us to clear max space and make life easier for them.  I'd throw in Mickey, too (and Zeller, but I doubt they can/would take him on)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Griffin is due to make 21 million next  season. Danny would have to act fast before he opts out officially. What package would he offer here? Smart, Crowder, Zellar, and future Memphis?

We'd have to trade for Griffin before 7/1 if he was willing to opt into his deal. If that's the case, why not do the same for Paul George and then try to get Gordon to sign. Maybe this has been explained ad nauseum and I've missed it - but why couldn't we trade for PG now if we send out matching salaries (Bradley+Crowder+whatever filler) and then go for Gordon in free agency? Why is getting Gordon first such a priority??
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2017, 01:11:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Paul George.
well sure, but they have no where near the assets to acquire him as anything a rebuilding team would want they just sent to LA
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Oh, wow, that'd actually be really nice.  Make it easier for us to clear max space and make life easier for them.  I'd throw in Mickey, too (and Zeller, but I doubt they can/would take him on)

They've got about $2 million in cap space left.  So if we helped, it could be only one of Mickey and Jackson.

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

They've got about $2 million in cap space left.  So if we helped, it could be only one of Mickey and Jackson.

Ah, okay.  Would they take Jackson alone? Maybe send them some cash with him? Getting that guaranteed money off the books would be nice
I'm bitter.