Author Topic: [Bulpett] C's unwilling to give up "top draft assets" for George.  (Read 28283 times)

Re: [Bulpett] C's unwilling to give up "top draft assets" for George.
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Damaged goods with bad attitude to boot, buyer beware.

You must be talking about yourself here, because that isn't an accurate description of Paul George.
I left this some place else, I'll leave it right here as well:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/02/16/doyel-lets-talk-pacers-paul-george-problem/98018218/

But, by all means -- setting yourself up to be disappointed is your constitutional right.

What a terribly written piece of trash. If that is your standard for quality journalism, well, that's explains a lot.

The bottom line is his team imploded around him due to poor management.   I'm not going to hold that against him. Plenty of athletes before him have become soured when they see their best years being wasted on a team going nowhere, with no hope of getting better. That's a fairly common, and normal, human behavior.
Paul George refused to play PF in detriment of his team. That's not really a controversial statement or a hot Greg Doyel take. He's also thrown both the Pacers and Team USA under the bus. But feel free to think he'll turn into KG once he steps into the Garden.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
An important aspect here is that this trade actually has a big impact on where that Lakers pick ends up, and its value. (Assuming that George has a good chance of picking the Lakers if Indy rejects our offer).

I think with George on the Lakers they stand a much smaller chance of getting a 2-5 draft slot.

So, this could be a real sticking point. If we get George we really want to hang onto the pick. By the same logic, Indy really wants the pick in a trade with us, in particular. It could cause things to break down.

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
You'd have to imagine something like
Memphis pick+
Celtics 18' pick+
Rozier+
filler

Would get it done. I guess the Pacers aren't under a time restraint so they can take their time.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
There are red flags with George actually. Love him as a player, but can't ignore it.

Quick to call out his own teammates in losses (but rarely himself). During the stretch where he complained the Pacers weren't doing enough as an organization to help the team win, he himself was BAD in that stretch too and looked very disinterested (bit of a hypocrite too). And a lot of Indiana fans throughout the season complained that George wasn't even trying at all in the court, especially when it came to REBOUNDING  :o

Again, great player, and is capable of taking over postseason games, but let's not get too carried away. He's still a RENTAL and has some red flags too. Ainge needs to play it safe and be wise in his decisions.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
You'd have to imagine something like
Memphis pick+
Celtics 18' pick+
Rozier+
filler

Would get it done. I guess the Pacers aren't under a time restraint so they can take their time.
I think the filler needs to be Crowder and Bradley, I'm not sure how else the Celts can send out enough salary to make the numbers work.

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
The Pacers know that he's not sticking around, so from their perspective, they're trading away one year of George.  Whether he agrees to an extension with a new team or not, the Pacers are still losing exactly one season of George.  All teams that are interested in George can bargain from that position, so no team should be giving up assets that are more valuable than a one-year rental.

The minute George said he wasn't staying in Indy, the Pacers lost all bargaining power.

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
That's not entirely true. If multiple teams are interested Indy can try to play them against one another. Cleveland might make a strong push for PG and supposedly he has said he would stay in Cleveland long term if Lebron was going to be there.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:32 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
This is hardly the no-brainer some make it out to be. Giving up that pick and it turning into Michael Porter while PG signs with LA next season would be a disaster for Danny Ainge.

Ainge has to be sure PG will resign with him before he gives up that pick. And I don't know how he can be. All this "he won't leave a great team" noise won't matter if Lebron convinces him to join him in their new hometown. When a guy tells you repeatedly that he wants to go to LA, maybe he means it.

Regardless, this is likely just Ainge posturing in the media in response to Indy overplaying their hand.

Bolding mine.

I'll believe it. And I'm also going to get really annoyed when he leaves Boston for the Lakers and fans boo the **** out of him when he comes to play here for "deserting" us. Trade for him, don't trade for him, I honestly don't know. But we can't say that we weren't warned. Several times.

Well Bulpett doesn't say what top draft assets he's talking about.

If the Pacers get AB, Crowder, Zeller and  2018 Boston #1 they have to take it. That's 2 starters a big man and a #1 pick. They aren't getting that anywhere else.

I think Randle, Ingram, and 2019 pick beats it

The Lakers aren't giving up Ingram. Randle plays the same position as Turner. Why take a Lakers 2019 pick when they will have possible Bron, PG, Ball. That pick will be pretty low.

They want a point guard because they will lose Teague. Crowder gives them a starting SF on a cheap deal and the Boston pick is a 1st rounder, Ainge could throw in Rozier and or Zeller.

They won't be giving up the 2019 pick, either, unless it's a second rounder. Their 2018 pick is going to either us or Philly. Hope that they got a lot out of Steve Nash.

Mike

Re: [Bulpett] C's unwilling to give up draft assets for George.
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Good.

Damaged goods with bad attitude to boot, buyer beware.

Agree ^
Giving up valuable assets for a player that will likely walk in free agency is crazy. He either resigns with the Celtics for 3 years, or seriously, skip this deal. And I also have questions about his attitude, and character.

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
After the Chris Paul trade....should not have to...think what they have offered is well enough

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
According to Windhorst, Houston offering Eric Gordon for Paul George.

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Not enough to trump Boston's offer IMO

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

Good three-point shooter who doesn't do anything else for you.  Can't imagine he moves the needle unless Indy just loves him for some reason.  He IS from Indianapolis, but that doesn't make him a good player. 

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

Not enough to trump Boston's offer IMO

And Indy wants to go younger I guess, right? Gordon isn't giving them some youth actually.

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 12:37:57 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
IMO, even if you think he walks, I might do the trade just to protect the LAL pick.

PG to Houston would be ideal. Keeps powder dry for another move, and keeps our LAL pick better positioned.