Author Topic: Zach Randolph and the MLE  (Read 1337 times)

Zach Randolph and the MLE
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Assume the Hayward/George rumors are true and the deals indeed to go down. My biggest concern is lack of depth on our bench essentially from clearing cap space to make room for those guys.
If I understand correctly we would still have a mid level exception that could not be used against the cap in most scenarios. With it I feel it only makes sense to go after Zach Randolph.
Rebounding and muscle is still our weakness looking at this super team proposal and a guy like him off the bench would really help.

Asking the cap experts out there, assuming Zach Randolph takes a Mid Level Exception, could we sign him with the proposed roster including Hayward and George? A guy like him would definitely help alleviate those concerns of a thin bench.Most articles  I see have him pegged as a MLE candidate. 

Re: Zach Randolph and the MLE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Z-Bo's stats were baaaaad last year but if he's the best you can get I'd be down. If anything he will bring toughness and some rebounds.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Randolph has said he wants to resign.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney

But there is uncertainty that Memphis wants him.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:08:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We can use what's commonly referred to as the "room" exception, which is capped at $4.3 million. We can use that even if going over the cap. That's less than the full mid-level.

One word of caution: Danny has traditionally liked to use exceptions like this to sign second rounders to longer / more lucrative deals than the minimum salary allows. He may use the room exception to give Semi to a three year deal, for instance.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
We can use what's commonly referred to as the "room" exception, which is capped at $4.3 million. We can use that even if going over the cap. That's less than the full mid-level.

One word of caution: Danny has traditionally liked to use exceptions like this to sign second rounders to longer / more lucrative deals than the minimum salary allows. He may use the room exception to give Semi to a three year deal, for instance.

Thanks Roy, I guess this all but eliminates any possibility of Randolph. At the end of the day he is 35 and a shell of his former self so not that big of a deal.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If this all goes down, I hope he can use the room exception on James Johnson, JaMychal Green, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, or Patrick Patterson. Maybe even Jerebko as a fallback option. If he can convince one of them to play PF for a contending team and make just $4.3 million - would be really good.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

He wants to resign from what? Is he in political office?  :police:

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The room exception can only be used for up to two years.  Also, since the Celtics would have to move A LOT of players for Hayward or George, never mind Hayward AND George, there will be enough roster charges equal to the minimum salary to sign the Semis of the world to the 3+1 deals that Danny learned to like after signing Stiemsma to a one-year deal.

If the room exception is used this year (keep in mind Ainge didn't use it the prior two seasons), I would expect either a vet big or point guard, depending what the roster looks like after the early July madness.  Keep an eye on Shelvin Mack for PG duties if Smart and Rozier are both moved, and/or if IT is going to miss some time at the beginning of the seasonz

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

The room exception can only be used for up to two years.  Also, since the Celtics would have to move A LOT of players for Hayward or George, never mind Hayward AND George, there will be enough roster charges equal to the minimum salary to sign the Semis of the world to the 3+1 deals that Danny learned to like after signing Stiemsma to a one-year deal.

If the room exception is used this year (keep in mind Ainge didn't use it the prior two seasons), I would expect either a vet big or point guard, depending what the roster looks like after the early July madness.  Keep an eye on Shelvin Mack for PG duties if Smart and Rozier are both moved, and/or if IT is going to miss some time at the beginning of the seasonz

Someone get Phil Pressey on the phone right now!

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVa6NHwUUg

Never gets old. =)

Have a good day ahead.