Author Topic: Is trading Crowder like trading Perk?  (Read 4358 times)

Is trading Crowder like trading Perk?
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:54:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The locker room was never the same after Perk left, his importance to that team was understated, it went past his production on the floor.
I feel that Jae has the same kind of aura, perhaps Bradley too. They are both well respected guys and keys in our locker room. Horford is probably the most important member of that locker room but past that I think those two have the most influence.

Would we see it backfire if we sent them out in a trade for PG? A lot of that hinges on whether you would let go of Bradley in a year anyway, however Crowder would have been around longer.

Re: Is trading Crowder like trading Perk?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:10:08 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Great points, but Ainge needs to consolidate assets if he wants to build a winner.  I'll happily take George over both Bradley and Crowder whom I respect, appreciate, and have rooted for.  We need elite players like George.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:15:10 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I expect Isiah and Horford to step up vocally, especially Horford he's been apart of good teams they'll be fine.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:21:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Gerald Green was actually a big locker room glue guy last season
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 06:20:07 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
He might be, but I wouldn't worry too much. Trading a glue guy in the offseason is a lot easier on the locker room than doing it during the season. More time for someone else to step up/everyone to gel
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 06:24:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
object is to win a title. 

unfortunately in the NBA top 50 players don 't beat top 10-20 plyers very often.

Celtics need proven elites to beat GS , Cavs in a series.  Where elite players take over games.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:18:55 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
He might be, but I wouldn't worry too much. Trading a glue guy in the offseason is a lot easier on the locker room than doing it during the season. More time for someone else to step up/everyone to gel
That's very true actually, TP. I guess it's much more of a shock if it happens out the blue when roles are already defined.

For me I'm willing to risk it on Paul George but if he does leave then we are left in a position where Brown or Tatum needs to be ready to step into the starting lineup.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never considered Crowder to be much of a leader. He tends to be the most vocal about his insecurity regarding his role on the team and potentially being replaced by a superior player (i.e., this exact scenario). Guys like Smart and Gerald Green, despite their flaws, bring a consistent energy that translates well in getting their teammates going and keeping things together on the court. Add in a guy like Horford who brings composure and patience (and I'd add Bradley to the list) and the team has plenty of glue in its current formation to survive a significant departure like Crowder. Even if Bradley were traded away, I think we have enough here to keep the general chemistry together to overcome any internal obstacles.

The other difference is that Perkins was a unique player for our team. He played a position that is hard to fill and he did so in a way that was impactful. We lost an enforcer in addition to our starting center when we traded Perkins. Crowder plays a position that is easy to replace and his production for that position isn't remarkable either. Considering we're in the running for two players that are significantly better than Crowder and play his respective position, I don't think it's a loss we should be all that concerned about.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I feel that Jae has the same kind of aura, perhaps Bradley too. They are both well respected guys and keys in our locker room. Horford is probably the most important member of that locker room but past that I think those two have the most influence.

I can't tell about the locker room, but Jae has a big impact on the court. Given my more or less random sampling of opinion here, I'd say that that is undervalued - but that's often the case with complementary players.

As Boston adds talent and makes the difficult transition to the next level, it is critical that complementary players are part of the mix; you just can't get through a season and four playoff rounds without them (consider the Clippers of the last few years, with their vaunted Big 3 backed by a thin bench).

Crowder routinely takes the toughest cover and does all the little things that make team defense work.  He's one of the top shooters at his position.  There's plenty to add to that, but let one fact conclude: for what he contributes, his salary is ludicrously small.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
object is to win a title. 

unfortunately in the NBA top 50 players don 't beat top 10-20 plyers very often.

Celtics need proven elites to beat GS , Cavs in a series.  Where elite players take over games.

This.

Bye, Jae.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
This board and the media has characterized only one player as a diva for the last 3 years.

I dont remember Perk saying anything like this

https://twitter.com/CJC9BOSS/status/816486812030029824

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Perk got exposed as being useless once He was out of the Celtics. KG hid his flaws....He hasn't played in The league for years, basically  retired early after making shaqtin a fool 40 times

Not seeing Crowder get exposed

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Crowder is a really good 6-7th man on a championship contender ..
He has a very viable salary so if the price is right you got to let him go..

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
except trading Crowder gets us a real star in return (or at least I hope so), whereas Perk got us someone whom we think might be a star

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Meh.