Author Topic: Clippers pick is about to become worthless  (Read 11210 times)

Re: Clippers pick is about to become worthless
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 05:04:22 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Great trade for the pick.

Blake REALLY needs to join us now

Have you read anything about the pick or this thread?

Guessing that is a loaded question, but I'll just direct you to my post three above, as to why Paul's trade (i.e. weakening the Clips and thereby pushing the pick into the teens is a good thing. Further if they really decide to blow it up, and the pick's protection kicks in, it's still good because we still get a second rounder, but further away from 2016 (the two second rounders traded), aat a time when it will be more useful.  :angel:
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 05:06:42 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Guessing that is a loaded question, but I'll just direct you to my post three above, as to why Paul's trade (i.e. weakening the Clips and thereby pushing the pick into the teens is a good thing. Further if they really decide to blow it up, and the pick's protection kicks in, it's still good because we still get a second rounder, but further away from 2016 (the two second rounders traded), aat a time when it will be more useful.  :angel:

I guess it's always better one 23 pick than two 40s.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Dude, it weakens the pick to the point where we won't be getting it.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

not necessarily.  they'd have to lose Griffin and trade Jordan to bottom out.  if they resign Griffin, they're still a playoff team and we get the pick.  keep in mind, they ARE in LA and they don't stink like the Lakers so they may appeal to a better class of FAs to keep them relevant.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If Griffin leaves that's it, even with Jordan they'd be a bottom dweller. I suppose they could maybe sign somebody that keeps them in the playoffs, but I think West is going to have them tank.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 03:36:22 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

not necessarily.  they'd have to lose Griffin and trade Jordan to bottom out.  if they resign Griffin, they're still a playoff team and we get the pick.  keep in mind, they ARE in LA and they don't stink like the Lakers so they may appeal to a better class of FAs to keep them relevant.

The Jerry West thing is interesting. Does he sign Blake to the 5 year max? I doubt it.

Could they try a quick rebuild around DeAndre signing some mid level guys and one of the million decent PGs on the market? Maybe.

Other nice thing is they are in that spot where if they are hovering around the 8 seed most of the year, they probably (stupidly) don't tank..

Then BAM!!

A list of the number 15 picks from the last 15 years:

Justin Jackson
Juan Hernangomez
Oubre
Adrien Payne (whoa)
GIANNIS
Harkless
KAWHI LEONARD
Larry Sanders  :police:
Austin Daye
Robin Lopez
Rodney Stuckey
Cedric Simmons
Antoine Wright
Al Jefferson
Reece Gaines (??)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
If Griffin leaves, then yeah, the Clippers definitely go into a rebuild and that pick will become a 2nd rounder. But as others have said, the C's didn't give up anything of value to gamble a little so I don't mind.

But if Griffin stays, this team is ripe for an 7th or 8th seed in 2018-19 so it could still turn out very good for the Celtics.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Here is an idea: Trade the pick back to the Clippers for SG Darrun Hilliard

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 12:37:58 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Well, Blake re-signed. There's still a chance!

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 12:41:27 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
There's a strong chance this is like #15 or #16 now. Awesome!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2017, 12:42:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So Lakers got worse moving Russell and missing out on George, and clippers sign griffin and move Paul, making them slightly worse.

Both picks just rose in value

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2017, 01:04:34 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
So Lakers got worse moving Russell and missing out on George, and clippers sign griffin and move Paul, making them slightly worse.

I would they they got better, substituting ball and lopez for russell and mozgov...

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I would they they got better, substituting ball and lopez for russell and mozgov...

I agree that if Lopez stays healthy they definitely improved.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

But not as much as other teams like Minny, Houston and OKC.  The LAL pick is safe...

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The Lakers intend to trade Lopez.  Also, I would argue that the Lakers got less good than a few of the teams ahead of them.  The West is going to be that much more difficult, so even marginal improvement won't show in wins and losses much.