Author Topic: Clippers pick is about to become worthless  (Read 11158 times)

Re: Clippers pick is about to become worthless
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yes, top 15 protected..

But if the rising young teams in the west all start to warm up (Denver, Minny, New Orleans) and the fringe teams all get good contributions from their young guys (OKC, Portland), it could be like Pick 15-19 very easily, which IS valuable

Also if the Clips "devolve", obviously protection will kick in.

Everything changes if LeBron signs there next year.. Then it should convey in 2020
Sorry, 15-19 not very valuable.  It's wort just a little more than nothing is all.
Plenty of great player were picked in those spots.  AB  was 19, Giannis Antetokounmpo was 15 to name a couple.

Al Jefferson, who headlined the deal to get Kevin Garnett to the Celtics, was picked at #15.
Okay, now let's name all the bad players that were picked in that range.  Is it possible to get a good player?  Of course.  But most likely, you'll end up with nothing or close to it.

As we've seen time and again, picks are more valuable than the expected value of players taken in their slots.
This is probably more accurate about higher picks, but that's just my hot take.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Great trade for the pick.

Blake REALLY needs to join us now
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I wouldn't assume Blake is leaving.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
The title of this topic needs to be updated

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Why? It's truer than ever. We held onto that pick for too long, should have used it by now in a trade, before the Clippers were about to enter Tanktown and Lotteryville and make it never convey as a 1st.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 12:12:14 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Life is about taking risks.  You shouldn't be too upset about losing, if you have contingencies in place.  You should be upset if you are unwilling to take risks.  You can't live if you are not willing to die.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If things go right we should only be looking for bench help in 2019. 

1) Sign Hayward as FA
2) Trade for PG13 (may include those pesky 2019 LAC & MEM picks)
3) Field a very nice starting 5:  IT; Brown; Hayward; George; Horford
4) Use our 2018 BKN pick on yet another top 5 pick: Doncic; Ayton; Porter; Bamba
5) Use LAL 2018 pick for additional top 5 pick, another of Doncic; Ayton; Porter; Bamba

We'll in all likely hood have three top 5 picks on our bench to start the 2018-2019 season, so come that years draft what more will we really need?

I can see the starting five changing a bit to look like this by the 2019 season, so who ever we draft in 2019 would be part of a very strong bench.

PG:  Doncic
SG: Hayward
SF:  Tatum
PF: George
 C:  Ayton

Here's hoping things go right  ;D
Ayton is my favorite as of now. Luca is real good but a 2/3.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM

Why? It's truer than ever. We held onto that pick for too long, should have used it by now in a trade, before the Clippers were about to enter Tanktown and Lotteryville and make it never convey as a 1st.

Well the OP was talking about getting 2nd rounders

You would think with CP3 leaving that it won't turn  into that

How is a 1st worse than a 2nd?

Or am I missing something

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:11 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Well the OP was talking about getting 2nd rounders

You would think with CP3 leaving that it won't turn  into that

How is a 1st worse than a 2nd?

Or am I missing something

They won't be making the playoffs for at least a couple years, ergo the 1st will not convey and we only get a 2nd?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2016/8/22/12562936/boston-celtics-future-nba-draft-picks-brooklyn-nets-grizzlies-clippers

2019 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers - If at least two years after the L.A. Clippers conveyed a 1st round pick to Toronto, then the L.A. Clippers will convey their 1st round pick to Boston (via Memphis) protected for selections 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if the L.A. Clippers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2020, then the L.A. Clippers will instead convey their 2022 2nd round pick to Boston

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:30 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If things go right we should only be looking for bench help in 2019. 

1) Sign Hayward as FA
2) Trade for PG13 (may include those pesky 2019 LAC & MEM picks)
3) Field a very nice starting 5:  IT; Brown; Hayward; George; Horford
4) Use our 2018 BKN pick on yet another top 5 pick: Doncic; Ayton; Porter; Bamba
5) Use LAL 2018 pick for additional top 5 pick, another of Doncic; Ayton; Porter; Bamba

We'll in all likely hood have three top 5 picks on our bench to start the 2018-2019 season, so come that years draft what more will we really need?

I can see the starting five changing a bit to look like this by the 2019 season, so who ever we draft in 2019 would be part of a very strong bench.

PG:  Doncic
SG: Hayward
SF:  Tatum
PF: George
 C:  Ayton

Here's hoping things go right  ;D
Ayton is my favorite as of now. Luca is real good but a 2/3.
it's truly crazy how big he is, and how nice his form on his shot is. He's like a kg that can shoot 3s. Insane rebounder. Perfectly fits with our weaknesses.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 01:11:48 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Life is about taking risks.  You shouldn't be too upset about losing, if you have contingencies in place.  You should be upset if you are unwilling to take risks.  You can't live if you are not willing to die.

This was a foreseeable situation. Ainge let the pick die on the vine. Stubbornly patient. All the risk was in waiting, there was almost zero risk in trading it because it was lotto protected. Should have used it for a rental at some point, at least.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 01:40:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

This was a foreseeable situation. Ainge let the pick die on the vine. Stubbornly patient. All the risk was in waiting, there was almost zero risk in trading it because it was lotto protected. Should have used it for a rental at some point, at least.
trade it for what? It was a middle 1st at best. And then we'd be stuck with the salary of whoever we get, ruining chances at Hayward and George

Its really hard to blame Danny for bad moves. Danny wanted to trade rondo for Steph curry at the time curry was always spraining his ankles while rondo was prime. Trade Didn't work. Danny wanted to move perk for harden but okc insisted on green, but Danny really wanted harden . Didn't work. Sometimes other teams don't offer what you want.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:49:02 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 02:09:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This trade was essentially for the two second rounders we had in last years draft (Deyonta Davis and Rade Zagorac) to Memphis. (Memphis had earlier traded for the Clipper pick for Jeff Green)

If the pick conveys next year it definitely has more value than those two second rounders, and will be a better trade chip for the deadline or next summer.

If it doesn't convey then you just lost two second rounders for a small gamble at a future first. If the gamble doesn't come off, you get a second rounder further down the road when we may need more bench guys after we have a contender (another Semih Erden suppose).

Danny wins this trade no matter what. Well done Danny, nice one Danny.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 02:11:09 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

trade it for what? It was a middle 1st at best. And then we'd be stuck with the salary of whoever we get, ruining chances at Hayward and George

Rental of some decent role player.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 04:59:19 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Great trade for the pick.

Blake REALLY needs to join us now

:o
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:05:06 AM by Darío SpanishFan »