Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 159108 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #810 on: September 25, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sixers signed Emeka Okafor for their training camp.  By this point, I didn't think they'd have any Okafor on their roster but now they have two.
With the signing of Amir and bringing in Humphries and Emeka, I can't help but question when these vets are going to get playing time. The sixers front court was already loaded with Embiid, Okafor, Saric, Holmes and Simmons. Emeka and Humphries can only be training camp and preseason fodder.

The Humphries signing especially puzzles me. Why would he sign a non-guaranteed deal to sit on the bench. You would think he had to have guaranteed minimum contract offers out their somewhere.

Unless of course, Embiid is still hurt and Okafor is going to be traded as soon as possible.

« Reply #811 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Sixers signed Emeka Okafor for their training camp.  By this point, I didn't think they'd have any Okafor on their roster but now they have two.
With the signing of Amir and bringing in Humphries and Emeka, I can't help but question when these vets are going to get playing time. The sixers front court was already loaded with Embiid, Okafor, Saric, Holmes and Simmons. Emeka and Humphries can only be training camp and preseason fodder.

The Humphries signing especially puzzles me. Why would he sign a non-guaranteed deal to sit on the bench. You would think he had to have guaranteed minimum contract offers out their somewhere.

Unless of course, Embiid is still hurt and Okafor is going to be traded as soon as possible.

Embiid still isn't cleared for 5 on 5, he might miss the beginning of the season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #812 on: September 25, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn  34m34 minutes ago
More
 Phoenix Suns forward TJ Warren has agreed to a four-year, $50M contract extension, league sources tell ESPN.

« Reply #813 on: September 25, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Sixers signed Emeka Okafor for their training camp.  By this point, I didn't think they'd have any Okafor on their roster but now they have two. Thought Emeka retire lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #814 on: September 26, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
More
 Phoenix Suns forward TJ Warren has agreed to a four-year, $50M contract extension, league sources tell ESPN.

Interesting. No doubt this will be a reference point in the Marcus Smart negotiations. Is this the first guy to get an extension out of that class?

Also, I just saw this slightly scary prediction from RealGM https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245269/Previewing-The-2014-Draft-Class-Extension-Market
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:33:53 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #815 on: September 26, 2017, 12:41:58 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
More

Interesting. No doubt this will be a reference point in the Marcus Smart negotiations. Is this the first guy to get an extension out of that class?

Also, I just saw this slightly scary prediction from RealGM https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245269/Previewing-The-2014-Draft-Class-Extension-Market

Yeah, so I bet that would now be the floor for any Smart extension prior to the season.

« Reply #816 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:57 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
More

That seems like too much for TJ Warren but they are projecting giving Aaron Gordon Four years/$100 million, Embiid a 5 year max, Exum Four years/$64 million, Marcus Smart Four years/$80 million and Julius Randle Four years/$70 million. These are some crazy numbers for some very unproven players. At Least Smart, Gordon and Emblid can defend their positions. Looking at these numbers it is little wonder why DA had to deal Bradley. Bradley is only 26 and has gotten better every year and is better than any of these guys not named Emblid ( But this guy has only played like 30 NBA games and isn't ready to go this year, yet.) Bradley is going to sign a 100 million dollar contract somewhere....  These numbers are going to level out at some point and there will be a lot of teams paying a lot of over priced contracts. I'd love got have Marcus on this team but 4 years 80 million seems crazy. I was thinking half that. 4 years 40 million and thinking it was a bit of a risk with Marcus's shooting. I really like Marcus but 80 million? Wow...

« Reply #817 on: September 26, 2017, 01:41:42 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
More

Wow those are some crazy predictions. I think signing Smart to the same deal as Warren would be a good idea but any higher and you may as well wait til the summer. Thats a lot for TJ Warren.

« Reply #818 on: September 26, 2017, 02:26:50 AM »

Online jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Those extension numbers seem a little on the high side. There are already a number of decent free agents on the market next offseason and many teams have already used up much of their cap space. Why would teams who hold RFA rights pay so much to keep these players unless they are forced to?

For many of these players to get those increases salaries, they are going to need to become stars. I love Marcus, but unless he is an all-star this season, then $80M just isn't going to work.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:14:11 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #819 on: September 26, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
More

Wow those are some crazy predictions. I think signing Smart to the same deal as Warren would be a good idea but any higher and you may as well wait til the summer. Thats a lot for TJ Warren.

If Marcus goes like 14 for 24 in the pre-season games, you just know there are going to be people here clamouring for him to get like a 72mill extension or something.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #820 on: September 26, 2017, 05:02:20 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
More

This article has been written in March. Back then most NBA associates were still clueless about the new salary landscape. Teams slowly are getting acquainted with proper valuing the new contracts. Players, agents and writers will have to follow. So these predictions are just meaningless.

25 million for Gordon or 16 million for Exum is straight out ridiculous.

The 10 million for Smart estimate by Liam is more in line with what is reasonable. This contract for Warren is on the high end of the spectrum (logical, because otherwise his agent would try out the free agent market). Also Bradley won't get a 100 million contract. No NBA-team will invest such an amount for the type of player he is. I will be surprised if he gets more than 18 million a year, unless it's a one-year-deal with the 76'ers.

« Reply #821 on: September 26, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
More

This article is from March and was based on 2016 free agent contracts. We saw an evening out of the player salaries from most teams this summer and doubt these numbers apply anymore. They are just too high for this very mediocre to poor draft class. If Smart can't inprove his shooting, he probably lands in TJ Warren contract territory

« Reply #822 on: September 26, 2017, 08:01:58 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
update on IT's recovery

>The All-Star point guard, acquired from Boston this summer in a blockbuster trade, has made progress with his hip injury, and the Cavaliers expect him to be playing games by January. [...] Thomas doesn't need surgery.>

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/25/isaiah-thomas-cleveland-cavaliers-injury-return-january

« Reply #823 on: September 26, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
update on IT's recovery

>The All-Star point guard, acquired from Boston this summer in a blockbuster trade, has made progress with his hip injury, and the Cavaliers expect him to be playing games by January. [...] Thomas doesn't need surgery.>

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/25/isaiah-thomas-cleveland-cavaliers-injury-return-january
That's a pretty big chunk of the season. If IT was still in green, I would feel like garbage about that. What's he going to look like after all that time off?

God forbid IT is never the same after this injury, Ainge could still look like he got away with another one when it's all said and done.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008