Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 159125 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #630 on: July 20, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
http://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/888069057488068608

Uh, so some are suggesting that they want Rose to potentially start next to Kyrie. I mean, not that Smith is some perfect fit there at the 2, but could Rose be any worse of a fit at the 2 between Kyrie and Lebron? Non-shooter, non-defender, ball-dominant, constantly injured, etc.

I wonder if this means they're trying to offload Smith's contract for some luxury tax relief? That'd be the only way replacing Smith with Rose makes any sense to me.

« Reply #631 on: July 20, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/888069057488068608

Uh, so some are suggesting that they want Rose to potentially start next to Kyrie. I mean, not that Smith is some perfect fit there at the 2, but could Rose be any worse of a fit at the 2 between Kyrie and Lebron? Non-shooter, non-defender, ball-dominant, constantly injured, etc.

I wonder if this means they're trying to offload Smith's contract for some luxury tax relief? That'd be the only way replacing Smith with Rose makes any sense to me.

Are people really not realizing how bad Rose is? If they did start Irving and Rose that may be the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA. Two of my best friends are serious Knicks fans and they hated watching him last year by about a week into the season. He definitely had hopes of landing a big contract this summer and it says a lot he will end up with the minimum at 28 years old in a summer George Hill got 20 a year, teague got 18 and Jrue Holiday got 125.

« Reply #632 on: July 20, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I think Cleveland could play Kyrie off the ball when they are both on the court.  It might reduce the wear and tear on Kyrie not having to handle the ball as much.  Rose will be on the court with the second unit too, no matter how Cleveland tries to sell this in the near term.

« Reply #633 on: July 20, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I think Cleveland could play Kyrie off the ball when they are both on the court.  It might reduce the wear and tear on Kyrie not having to handle the ball as much.  Rose will be on the court with the second unit too, no matter how Cleveland tries to sell this in the near term.

Why would you have the best ball handler in the entire NBA play off the ball?

« Reply #634 on: July 20, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

He already does that a fair amount as James consistently brings the ball up the court. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #635 on: July 20, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Because Lue is a horrible coach.

« Reply #636 on: July 20, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Oh yeah, adding Rose should really help CLE with their Golden State problem.....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2017, 01:51:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Oh yeah, adding Rose should really help CLE with their Golden State problem.....

Honestly if they had found a way to get Beverly as part of the Paul movement I think they would have increased their chances to beat Golden State by 10%. Another poor defensive, offensive dominant, injury prone player is the quintessential Lebron move. This would also seem to further preclude them from getting Anthony, who while he has same of the flaws as Rose, would help them more.

« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He already does that a fair amount as James consistently brings the ball up the court.

Moranis you really think they should just have him play off the ball 100%? I feel like the Cavs could sign Ilgauskas as a backup big and you would support the move. They badly needed defensive minded players to not get blown off the floor by Golden State and they have signed Caulderon and Jeff Green and now possibly Rose. How does that help?

« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Because being a good dribbler has nothing to do with being a good passer, running plays, and creating for teammates.

« Reply #640 on: July 20, 2017, 02:05:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Moranis you really think they should just have him play off the ball 100%? I feel like the Cavs could sign Ilgauskas as a backup big and you would support the move. They badly needed defensive minded players to not get blown off the floor by Golden State and they have signed Caulderon and Jeff Green and now possibly Rose. How does that help?
Not at all, I was merely pointing out that Irving doesn't have the ball in his hand anywhere close to 100% of the time right now because James has it in his so much.  I don't really like Rose as the starting SG.  I think it is a bad idea.  I do however like Rose as the back-up PG that could play with Irving occasionally (so Rose gets like 25 ish minutes a night).  When Rose and Irving are on the floor together, I think it makes more sense for Irving to have the ball then Rose, unless Rose is driving to the hole and kicking it out to Irving as Rose is actually quite good going to the glass and drawing contact.  Rose is pretty terrible at setting up an offense, though frankly Irving is subpar in that as well (James is one of the best ever at doing that, which is why so much of the offense runs through James and it is also why the Cavs are downright terrible when James is on the bench).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #641 on: July 20, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Because being a good dribbler has nothing to do with being a good passer, running plays, and creating for teammates.

It doesn't even really matter.  Rose and Kyrie are both ball-dominant, me-first facilitators.  Obvi LeBron is ball-dominant too (unless it's crunch time).  No matter how you skin the cat, they'll be circling the drain again in next year's Finals.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:15:41 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Meh Irving is the best at the league beating guys off the dribble (not to mention finishing!). If you have play 100% off the ball with Rose and Lebron handling the ball he has way less opportunities to do that. I mean this is pretty basic stuff...

« Reply #643 on: July 20, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

It doesn't even really matter.  Rose and Kyrie are both ball-dominant, me-first facilitators.  Obvi LeBron is ball-dominant too (unless it's crunch time).  No matter how you skin the cat, they'll be circling the drain again in next year's Eastern Conference Finals before getting eliminated by Boston.

FTFY

« Reply #644 on: July 20, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

It doesn't even really matter.  Rose and Kyrie are both ball-dominant, me-first facilitators.  Obvi LeBron is ball-dominant too (unless it's crunch time).  No matter how you skin the cat, they'll be circling the drain again in next year's Eastern Conference Finals before getting eliminated by Boston.

FTFY

Thanks, typo.  Hope you're right!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC