Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 159411 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #600 on: July 17, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #601 on: July 17, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Idk why anyone would buy the rockets ... Cp3 and Harden do not work well. And if Melo comes, you now have cp3 and harden standing around watching Melo brick shots. This team got worse and more expensive to run

« Reply #602 on: July 17, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Celtics have signed Paul Pierce.

« Reply #603 on: July 18, 2017, 04:12:33 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #604 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:23 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Idk why anyone would buy the rockets ... Cp3 and Harden do not work well. And if Melo comes, you now have cp3 and harden standing around watching Melo brick shots. This team got worse and more expensive to run

Do you have any evidence of that, or is it just conjecture? Until we see them play, we can't tell if they fit together or not. You may not think that they'll fit, but until we actually see ithem it's just your opinion, not fact.

Personally, I'd take the team with 2 top 15 players over the team with just one
I'm bitter.

« Reply #605 on: July 18, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Do you have any evidence of that, or is it just conjecture? Until we see them play, we can't tell if they fit together or not. You may not think that they'll fit, but until we actually see ithem it's just your opinion, not fact.

Personally, I'd take the team with 2 top 15 players over the team with just one

Great players usually find a way to coexist.  People were saying the same thing about the Heat with their old big 3.  It makes it easier on them sharing the load.

Also see Melo in the Olympics.  He can fit in with other great players.  Lastly both Melo and and Paul are at an age where it's better for them to take more of a backseat.

« Reply #606 on: July 18, 2017, 07:30:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

https://twitter.com/R0BaTO/status/887161657599852544

He also has no interest in giving up the $54 million in salary they owe him, and I somehow doubt he's give up much of his $8 million trade kicker either.  If he really wanted to go to Houston, I'm sure the Knicks would be happy to release him from his contract.  But he wants to have his $60 million cake and eat it too.

« Reply #607 on: July 18, 2017, 08:13:47 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

He also has no interest in giving up the $54 million in salary they owe him, and I somehow doubt he's give up much of his $8 million trade kicker either.  If he really wanted to go to Houston, I'm sure the Knicks would be happy to release him from his contract.  But he wants to have his $60 million cake and eat it too.

He allegedly asked for a buyout before the draft and the Knicks said no. Buyouts always mean money's being left on the table by the player.  So he was rather recently willing to give up money to get out, but they weren't and claimed they'd explore trades for him. During the press conference yesterday, Mills and Perry both said buying him out wasn't an option for them.

I don't see how Melo did anything in this situation. Even when Phil was publicly blasting him, he handled it well. This is the Knicks realizing Phil destroyed a player's trade value and the offers they're getting are reflecting that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #608 on: July 18, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Woj reports Spurs are on the verge of resigning Ginobili. A mild surprise as many thought he'd retire but it looks like he's down for one more run. Good for him, he still was able to make some nice plays in the playoffs.

« Reply #609 on: July 18, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Paul Pierce to sign with ESPN today, per Jackie MacMullen

« Reply #610 on: July 18, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He allegedly asked for a buyout before the draft and the Knicks said no. Buyouts always mean money's being left on the table by the player.  So he was rather recently willing to give up money to get out, but they weren't and claimed they'd explore trades for him. During the press conference yesterday, Mills and Perry both said buying him out wasn't an option for them.

I don't see how Melo did anything in this situation. Even when Phil was publicly blasting him, he handled it well. This is the Knicks realizing Phil destroyed a player's trade value and the offers they're getting are reflecting that.

Do you know how much he was willing to give up in a buyout?  Because none of the reports I heard indicated he was willing to give up anywhere near $50 million.  It's one thing to ask for a release and give up a couple of million.  It's another to do the same and give up $50 million.

« Reply #611 on: July 18, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Paul Pierce to sign with ESPN today, per Jackie MacMullen
I had hoped they'd keep him until preseason and start him in Game 1.  :-\
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #612 on: July 18, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Woj reports Spurs are on the verge of resigning Ginobili. A mild surprise as many thought he'd retire but it looks like he's down for one more run. Good for him, he still was able to make some nice plays in the playoffs.

That is pretty surprising, especially after the good bye they had for him in the playoffs.

« Reply #613 on: July 18, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Do you know how much he was willing to give up in a buyout?  Because none of the reports I heard indicated he was willing to give up anywhere near $50 million.  It's one thing to ask for a release and give up a couple of million.  It's another to do the same and give up $50 million.

Do you know how much he wasn't willing to give up in a buyout? The point is, he is willing to give up something to get out of NYC free and clear but the Knickerbockers are the unwilling party here.

I get it, Anthony isn't exactly loved or the most respected but the Knicks aren't being held hostage. My favorite tidbit I've read this weekend was this:
As Perry starts to shape the front office and impact policy, another realization has washed over the organization: Months of organizational harping on Anthony, driven largely by deposed president of basketball operations Jackson, has dramatically lowered Anthony's trade value. Mills and Perry are evaluating whether it's worth allowing time for Anthony's standing around the NBA to be rebuilt, as opposed to trading him at an all-time low, league sources said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20075037/carmelo-anthony-counting-new-york-knicks-trading-houston-rockets

Um, duh. Did no one in the organization realize this before? I'm not really sure what else Melo is supposed to do. If you asked him a year ago, he would've said he wanted to be a Knick a.k.a he's "loyal", then they spend the past year publicly needling him into accepting a trade, now he does and they've done an about face.

Quite frankly my thinking is this: they signed him to that deal, they gave him the No Trade Clause, they allowed an over-the-hill egomaniac to go on a year long public rampage against him and destroy his trade value. He shouldn't give up a penny.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #614 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:06 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald