Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 159414 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #585 on: July 16, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic, and Melo would be as entertaining as Harden, CP3, and Melo. And probably more competitive.

Don't think he'd waive his NTC though since one of his banana boat buddies aren't there.

What?! The Rockets have two top-7 players. The Blazers...don't.

Well we could discuss if CP3 is a top 7 player, but I get your point. However the problem is they both serve essentially the same position on the court. Harden became what he is by having the ball in his hands as much as possible. CP3 has never played off the ball, so there is going to be a problem here

Lillard, McCollum, Harden, and Paul are all high usage guys.

Two of the worst teams who could recruit Melo.

Whole thing is stupid. He's be better off with the Clips, or even San Antone
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #586 on: July 16, 2017, 04:50:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic, and Melo would be as entertaining as Harden, CP3, and Melo. And probably more competitive.

Don't think he'd waive his NTC though since one of his banana boat buddies aren't there.

I'm not sold on the fit of Harden and CP3. I think there'll definitely be an adjustment period, specifically for CP3. He's used to holding the ball in his hands a lot in a half court setting. We already know Lillard and McCollum can play together - particularly moving off the ball and shooting at a high clip. Add in Nurkic who's a good post presence who's shown he can take advantage when he's given the ball in the post.

I just think Portland's offense is a more natural fit. I can see Melo's role in Portland.

I'm not entirely sold on the CP-Harden fit either, but let's not pretend Lillard-McCollum is some great fit. They work together, but they're both really point guards. As for shooting ability, you do realize Paul is a vastly superior shooter to Lillard, right? I think many fail to realize that Paul truly is one of the league's premier shooters. I don't think Melo's a particularly good fit on either team, because both have two ball-dominant players who are better than Melo, but I'd hesitate to say Melo's a better fit with the lesser talents whom he's also less likely to defer to.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #587 on: July 16, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Well we could discuss if CP3 is a top 7 player, but I get your point. However the problem is they both serve essentially the same position on the court. Harden became what he is by having the ball in his hands as much as possible. CP3 has never played off the ball, so there is going to be a problem here

1. I refuse to concede that CP is not a top-7 player, but for the purposes of this debate, all we need to agree on is that CP and Harden are both (clearly) better than Lillard and McCollum.

2. They will be staggered, so they'll each be able to play on-ball for roughly 75% of their minutes.

3. Harden finished second in MVP voting (and first in player voting) two years ago, when he was still considered a "SG." He's great no matter how you use him.

4. Why wouldn't CP3 work off-ball? He's one of the truly elite shooters in the game, and as far as playing with other creators before, he's done it. Blake Griffin has averaged 5.1 apg over the last 3 years.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #588 on: July 16, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I'm not sold on the fit of Harden and CP3. I think there'll definitely be an adjustment period, specifically for CP3. He's used to holding the ball in his hands a lot in a half court setting. We already know Lillard and McCollum can play together - particularly moving off the ball and shooting at a high clip. Add in Nurkic who's a good post presence who's shown he can take advantage when he's given the ball in the post.

I just think Portland's offense is a more natural fit. I can see Melo's role in Portland.

I'm not entirely sold on the CP-Harden fit either, but let's not pretend Lillard-McCollum is some great fit. They work together, but they're both really point guards. As for shooting ability, you do realize Paul is a vastly superior shooter to Lillard, right? I think many fail to realize that Paul truly is one of the league's premier shooters. I don't think Melo's a particularly good fit on either team, because both have two ball-dominant players who are better than Melo, but I'd hesitate to say Melo's a better fit with the lesser talents whom he's also less likely to defer to.

I'm not sure where you're getting this notion that Paul is a vastly better shooter than Lillard. They're both very good to elite-level shooters, and they're both literally at 37% on the dot for their careers. If anything, the case should be made for Lillard being the better shooter, because he's averaging the same percentage at over twice the attempts per game as Paul. Furthermore, the difficulty of Lillard's shots are generally much higher than Paul's shots. Lillard shoots primarily off the dribble from beyond the arc, where Paul (at least in my experience) shoots from long distance just as much off the pass as off the dribble.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paulch01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lillada01.html

« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Free agent Luc Mbah a Moute has reached an agreement with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell ESPN.

« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Are there any difference makers left that the Nets could sign, or are they basically done?

Mike

« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Free agent Luc Mbah a Moute has reached an agreement with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell ESPN.

That's a good fit for them. I like it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I'm not sure where you're getting this notion that Paul is a vastly better shooter than Lillard. They're both very good to elite-level shooters, and they're both literally at 37% on the dot for their careers. If anything, the case should be made for Lillard being the better shooter, because he's averaging the same percentage at over twice the attempts per game as Paul. Furthermore, the difficulty of Lillard's shots are generally much higher than Paul's shots. Lillard shoots primarily off the dribble from beyond the arc, where Paul (at least in my experience) shoots from long distance just as much off the pass as off the dribble.

I think it's somewhat misleading to take career numbers for Paul, because he's really elevated himself as a shooter the last ~3 years, performing above his previous career marks in both 3P% and TS%. If we were to split Paul's career into two parts (first 9 seasons, most recent 3), you see an increase in 3P% from 35.7% to 39.3% and TS% from 57.5% to 59.3%. He's improved a lot.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #593 on: July 16, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Indeed, another great pickup. Morey's (unsurprisingly) killing it.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #594 on: July 16, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Are there any difference makers left that the Nets could sign, or are they basically done?

Mike
I think derrick rose is available but doubt nets have much interest

« Reply #595 on: July 16, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I think it's somewhat misleading to take career numbers for Paul, because he's really elevated himself as a shooter the last ~3 years, performing above his previous career marks in both 3P% and TS%. If we were to split Paul's career into two parts (first 9 seasons, most recent 3), you see an increase in 3P% from 35.7% to 39.3% and TS% from 57.5% to 59.3%. He's improved a lot.

Eh, isn't it also a bit misleading to ignore 75% of his career and focus on a mere 25% of his career to gauge his shooting proficiency, even if it is the latest 25%? Lol

But either way, even just looking at his marginal increase in the past three seasons, it's hard to argue that he's a significantly better, or better at all, shooter when Lillard is putting up similar percentages in significantly more attempts with significantly more difficult/contested shots.

And to the larger point you guys were discussing, I really don't like Melo's fit on either team, like at all. Though if you had to pick one, I guess I would say Houston is the better fit, purely because they're veterans (and friends) who should be able to make it work. Paul, Ariza, and Capela could also better make up for Melo's and Harden's defensive deficiencies than Portland.

But hopefully the Knicks just end up accepting something like Love for Anthony instead of shipping him to Houston. I think we matchup much better with a Cleveland team with Melo at the 4 than Love at the 4.

« Reply #596 on: July 16, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mike

They're done.  Saving room for a salary dump trade.

The Nets want to get a top pick in 2019, so don't look for them to make moves this year that might prevent that.

« Reply #597 on: July 17, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Mike

The Nets want to get a top pick in 2019, so don't look for them to make moves this year that might prevent that.

I'm good with that, as long as they earn a top pick in 2018, as well.

Mike

« Reply #598 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mike

I'm good with that, as long as they earn a top pick in 2018, as well.

Mike

They're not going to try to avoid it, which served us well enough last year.

« Reply #599 on: July 17, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Indeed, another great pickup. Morey's (unsurprisingly) killing it.

I'll never understand all the adulation of Morey on CB.
Celtics fan for life.