Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 159421 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #570 on: July 16, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why would Melo want to go to Portland?

Because it's about the only competitive team who can take on his bloated contract.

« Reply #571 on: July 16, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

https://www.blazersedge.com/platform/amp/2017/7/15/15977406/blazers-trade-rumor-carmelo-anthony-wojnarowski

Makes sense for the Blazers.  They have all sorts of contracts they'd love to move, and could use a quantity for quality trade.  Melo for Harkless, Leonard, Aminu, and Vonleh.  Helps fill out the Knicks roster for the next two seasons they were going to be stuck with an unhappy but largely untradable Carmelo taking an equivalent amount of salary.  The Knicks can't be quite bad enough to tank, and have too much salary committed over the next three seasons to do it properly anyway, so they might as well get some rotation players and see if they can't steal a playoff berth in an East with few teams trying to compete.

If Melo would be willing to go to Portland, it could actually be the type of trade to help both teams.

This would have been a great move for the Knicks at or before the draft, imo, as they could have wound up with Portland's three first round picks for, say, Evan Turner, in whom Phil was interested prior to his signing with the Blazers, iirc, Ezeli, and probably someone else just to make the numbers work like Shabazz Napier or whatever, but now?  Talk about a blown opportunity to rebuild in one fell swoop, for the most part, imo.

« Reply #572 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Because it's about the only competitive team who can take on his bloated contract.

When you say they can take it on you mean they have outgoing salaries that can make it work right? Doesn't Portland have the highest payroll in the NBA or has that changed with recent signings/contract extensions?

« Reply #573 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

But his NTC means he is in control of where he goes.  I don't see why he would want to leave NYC for Portland.  It's not like they could win a championship.

« Reply #574 on: July 16, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

But his NTC means he is in control of where he goes.  I don't see why he would want to leave NYC for Portland.  It's not like they could win a championship.

Does he think Houston can win a championship?

« Reply #575 on: July 16, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

I'm not sure what he thinks, but I think a troika of Harden/Paul/Melo with a solid supporting cast, is pretty good.  To me, the bigger issue with Houston is how will D'Antoni run an up-tempo offense with those guys.

« Reply #576 on: July 16, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I get that.  My point is if Melo wants to play for a competitor, Portland could be pretty much the only option.  Houston can only do it if they find someone to take Ryan Anderson, and no one seems interested.  Melo's other option is giving up about $50 million or so to take a buyout -- I can't see the Knicks being willing to pay him most his contract to play somewhere else.

I'm not saying that I think Melo will be willing -- he seems to want to stay in NY, period.  There just aren't many, if any, other options for him to go to.  Portland let's him get paid $60 million, compete, and choose to finish out his career wherever he wants for decent money, assuming he doesn't look like a waste of space out there.

« Reply #577 on: July 16, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

I get that.  My point is if Melo wants to play for a competitor, Portland could be pretty much the only option.  Houston can only do it if they find someone to take Ryan Anderson, and no one seems interested.  Melo's other option is giving up about $50 million or so to take a buyout -- I can't see the Knicks being willing to pay him most his contract to play somewhere else.

I'm not saying that I think Melo will be willing -- he seems to want to stay in NY, period.  There just aren't many, if any, other options for him to go to.  Portland let's him get paid $60 million, compete, and choose to finish out his career wherever he wants for decent money, assuming he doesn't look like a waste of space out there.
Got ya' now.  TP.

« Reply #578 on: July 16, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I'm not sure what he thinks, but I think a troika of Harden/Paul/Melo with a solid supporting cast, is pretty good.  To me, the bigger issue with Houston is how will D'Antoni run an up-tempo offense with those guys.

Paul and Harden can't play together and Melo would only further exacerbate the problem, imo, and that's even before we take Anthony's past dealings with D'Antoni into consideration.  The whole thing just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, lol.

« Reply #579 on: July 16, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

When you say they can take it on you mean they have outgoing salaries that can make it work right? Doesn't Portland have the highest payroll in the NBA or has that changed with recent signings/contract extensions?

They do have a super-high payroll -- it'll be top 3 with Cleveland and Golden State no matter what they do (barring trading multiple 1st round picks).  They have a bunch of contracts that are decent on their own, but collectively are too much.  But they can give NY 2-3 rotational/second-tier starters  (depending how you feel about Meyers Leonard) that will make the same as Anthony the next two seasons.  With $30 million a year committed to Noah and Courtney Lee for three more seasons, they're stuck anyway, so getting expirings for Anthony shouldn't be an imperative.  I think the pieces match up well.

« Reply #580 on: July 16, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic, and Melo would be as entertaining as Harden, CP3, and Melo. And probably more competitive.

Don't think he'd waive his NTC though since one of his banana boat buddies aren't there.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #581 on: July 16, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic, and Melo would be as entertaining as Harden, CP3, and Melo. And probably more competitive.

Don't think he'd waive his NTC though since one of his banana boat buddies aren't there.

What?! The Rockets have two top-7 players. The Blazers...don't.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

the rockets have 2 ball pounders who aren't effective off the ball. Harden is going to look like okc harden when it's all said and done

« Reply #583 on: July 16, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'm not sold on the fit of Harden and CP3. I think there'll definitely be an adjustment period, specifically for CP3. He's used to holding the ball in his hands a lot in a half court setting. We already know Lillard and McCollum can play together - particularly moving off the ball and shooting at a high clip. Add in Nurkic who's a good post presence who's shown he can take advantage when he's given the ball in the post.

I just think Portland's offense is a more natural fit. I can see Melo's role in Portland.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #584 on: July 16, 2017, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Well we could discuss if CP3 is a top 7 player, but I get your point. However the problem is they both serve essentially the same position on the court. Harden became what he is by having the ball in his hands as much as possible. CP3 has never played off the ball, so there is going to be a problem here
#JKJB