Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 160400 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #735 on: August 24, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Noel reportedly turned down a deal that averaged 17.5M.  His head is either way too big or he's getting some really dumb advice.
From the Mavs? Jeez...that would be the overpay of the century.
The last couple offseasons it wouldn't have been considering contracts for Mozgov, Biyambo, Mahinmi.  But this offseason is for the most part a whole different story (ignore Knicks Hardaway deal).  There's no reason for the Mavs to cave in.  They should just dare Noel to take the qualifying offer.
See, it still would've been an overpay, same as all those deals were at the time. Teams acted like kids in a sweet store with the cap spike, spending at will. It was widely said at the time that because there was no cap smoothing, some of these teams would get found out a few years later. They did, the Lakers basically crippled their cap, as did the Knicks and Magic.
The reason that Noel can't get anything this summer is because of contracts like Mozgov clogging other teams' cap space. So he's hard done by in that regard, but anything over $10-12m for Noel is an overpay based on the value of his skillset in the modern NBA.
You didn't just say overpay.  You said overpay of the century.  I was pointing out that was a severe exaggeration.  With the Knicks Hardaway contract, it wouldn't even be the overpay of this offseason.  Mozgov, Biyambo, Mahinmi, to name a few, are much worse. 

Noel is a good defensive center who can defend on the perimeter.  He's very switchable.  He also runs the court well as well as finishes on pick and rolls.  That's still a good skillset for a center in the modern NBA.
Ah I see. Yes is was hyperbole to say I overpay of the century.
It's a good skillset for under $10m a year. Any more than that starts to get sketchy. Without comparing him to the other overpaid centers (which we should not be using to justify a salary for him), who are the comparable players to him? There are the max guys like Gobert and Drummond who are a few levels above Noel, then there are the exception/minimum guys like McGee, who Noel is better than. There isn't much in the middle ground, unfortunately for him. He isn't a 2 way player like KAT or Embiid, he isn't an all rounder like Horford or Gasol, he's basically a 4/5th guy on a good team. He's the Marcus Smart type but in a much less important position. There's just no way you can justify spending a lot of money on him.
Whatever he gets, Smart should get 25% more due to the importance of his position (perimeter defender, ball handler as well). So think about what you'd spend on Smart and then scale it down for Noel.

« Reply #736 on: August 25, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Iman Shumpert also requested a trade after the season, multiple sources told ESPN. Cleveland was in talks to trade Shumpert and his $10.3 million contract to Minnesota or Houston, but both deals fell apart. Logic would tell you that the Cavs will remain motivated to find a team to take Shumpert.

A Cavs source told ESPN simply that the team is "not closing the door" on more trades before training camp opens in late September.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20447378/nba-questions-remain-cavs-kyrie-irving-trade

« Reply #737 on: August 25, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #738 on: August 25, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/08/celtics-notes-bogut-irving-j-brown-tatum.html

Himmelsbach has reported that we've contacted Bogut about our last open roster spot. Interesting.

« Reply #740 on: August 25, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #741 on: August 26, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Nerlens back to Dallas for QO

Chris Haynes @ChrisBHaynes

Nerlens Noel signs 1-year, $4.1 million QO to return to Mavs, league sources tell ESPN. Reported $17M "offer " was non-existent in any form.

1:10 PM · Aug 26, 2017

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2017, 01:25:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Wow, that's surprising!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:57:18 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Wow. I wonder what it would take to get him. Do you think something like Yabu and the Clippers pick would work? I'm not sure about giving up the Memphis pick, but I think Noel could possibly be available after this disaster of a summer, though he'd have to agree to come here.

Obviously he'll be affordable next summer with even less money to go around, but I'd love his fit here. He'd also be a good young big prospect for us to build around, and he'd also help us with our current lack of bigs:

PG: Irving, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Hayward, Tatum
PF: Horford, Morris
C: Noel, Baynes

He'd hurt our starting lineup spacing a bit, but he'd probably really help our rebounding and defense, especially our interior defense.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:53:23 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Wow, that's surprising!

I'm not surprised. He seems affronted that no-one wants to pay him $20m a year for a limited skill set. The only surprise will be his when he's faced with the same situation next summer.

« Reply #745 on: August 29, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Sully to the Nets?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #746 on: August 29, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Sully to the Nets?

Interesting..here is hoping Sully finds himself in Brooklyn, and puts up daily double doubles for them after our picks and trade become official of course! If not, here is hoping he finds out how good NY area pizza truly is  ;D

« Reply #747 on: August 29, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Wow. I wonder what it would take to get him. Do you think something like Yabu and the Clippers pick would work? I'm not sure about giving up the Memphis pick, but I think Noel could possibly be available after this disaster of a summer, though he'd have to agree to come here.

Obviously he'll be affordable next summer with even less money to go around, but I'd love his fit here. He'd also be a good young big prospect for us to build around, and he'd also help us with our current lack of bigs:

PG: Irving, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Hayward, Tatum
PF: Horford, Morris
C: Noel, Baynes

He'd hurt our starting lineup spacing a bit, but he'd probably really help our rebounding and defense, especially our interior defense.

No way. Because he signed the QO, any team that trades for him does not get his Bird Rights. We would lose him next summer for nothing because we'll have no way to sign him to the money he clearly wants
I'm bitter.

« Reply #748 on: August 29, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Sully to the Nets?

Interesting..here is hoping Sully finds himself in Brooklyn, and puts up daily double doubles for them after our picks and trade become official of course! If not, here is hoping he finds out how good NY area pizza truly is  ;D
If the Nets pick goes to Cleveland, I will have a lot of fun rooting for Sully to tear it up and get Brooklyn to 30 wins. :)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #749 on: August 29, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Nerlens back to Dallas for QO

Chris Haynes @ChrisBHaynes

Nerlens Noel signs 1-year, $4.1 million QO to return to Mavs, league sources tell ESPN. Reported $17M "offer " was non-existent in any form.

1:10 PM · Aug 26, 2017

Didn't get get an offer for 4 years at 17 million? These agents stink.